WOW - This dealer missed out on a 2K sale

Barnlight

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
Titusville, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After purchasing a Minelab Detector from the largest on-line retailer, I figured I would give a smaller shop my business. Not that I had any issues with the large retailer, but was not that impressed with all the junk they threw in to make it look like I was getting a deal.

So I took 2K in business to an online dealer in NJ and spent over 2 hours online browsing their site and placing items in my basket. During checkout I was given the option to ship to a separate address than my credit card and even given the option to expedite the order.

I entered my CC info into the cart and clicked process and even got a response that my order was successful and credit card had been charged. I was happy about all the good stuff being on its way!

Woke up the next morning only to receive an email from this dealer stating that they had refunded the 2K back to my card. No other explanation! So I called to find out what's going on. Maybe they did not have these items in stock?

The dealer informed me that since I shipped to a different address than on my credit card and requested expedited shipping the order looked like fraud. I explained to him that the shipping address was my business and I use this address so UPS will not just leave the items on my door step to be stolen.

The dealer did not even try to rectify this order and stated that he did have the items in stock. So, since my card was charged 2K by this dealer, now I have to wait 3-days for the credit to return to my card.

So my question is this: If this dealer is so worried with fraud why does he allow the customer to enter in another shipping address and request rush shipping??????

I really want to put this dealers name out there so others will avoid his shop online, but not sure if this is appropriate on this forum.

So I guess its back to the large online retailer, but unfortunately I will have to wait 3-days for the money to go back on my card!! Called my credit card company and was told that it typical for refunds.:icon_scratch:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Barnlight
WE have some very good detector dealers here on Tnet and they pay to be here, and help this web site to be the Best on the Net.... they are Mike Woodlands Detectors, Bart Big Boys Hobbies these guys are some of the best in the Biz, and they are on here everyday helping people run their machines,you can`t go wrong....just the opposite....call one of them and see Real Customer Service in action
Gary

OP
OP
B

Barnlight

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
Titusville, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary, thank you for the advise. I will certainly look at the companies mentioned and place my order there. I was just completely blown away by how my order was handled when a simple phone call to me would have rectified this issue. Scammers and fraudsters typically don't give out there real phone numbers. Thanks for the advise!

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm wondering if the credit card company had this safeguard in place to protect against fraud so it was out of the hands of the dealer. It may have not been up to him. Your large order shipped to an address other than the billing address may have crossed a fraud tripwire in place by the major companies so that the dealers hands were tied. Merely playing devil's advocate here but it may be worth asking the dealer before slamming him for not being able to fill your order.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the dealer is guilty of anything more than lacking communication skills. As for the website, many of those are created from templates. I would suggest the next order you place (even with a different vendor) that if you are shipping to a different address than your billing address, you do it over the phone.

Last edited:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bryan feel free to give me a ring. I will help you out, answer all your questions and make ya a great deal as well!

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a dealer, I can tell you that we get scam orders almost every week. Barnlight's issue could have been handled with some basic communication. We always confirm customers orders before shipping, and work with alternate addresses. I'm sure all the supporting vendors on Tnet could have handled this well. Sorry to hear that you had a problem.

Wayne

OP
OP
B

Barnlight

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
Titusville, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bart, I placed an order through you last night for a Minelab Excalibur II 1000 Metal Detector and a few other items. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
B

Barnlight

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
Titusville, FL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not trying to slam any dealer, as I run a large on-line business myself. It is in no way related to metal detecting. I know as the vendor I have at my access many alternatives within credit card processing to weed out fraud. It is up to me on how much or how little I create the settings to decline an order.

My order was not declined. The issue was that I was shipping to another address than what was my billing address. I would say that half my companies orders per day are shipped to other than the billing address.

All it would of taken was a phone call to my number placed on the order form and this could have been rectified. Typically, bad guys don't put there real phone numbers on orders. I'm sure Bart at Big Boys Hobbies will take care of me. Thanks for all the help as I just want to get to the beach and start detecting!!!!!

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Scott! You should have your tracking by email. I sent it last night!

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Barnlight
WE have some very good detector dealers here on Tnet and they pay to be here, and help this web site to be the Best on the Net.... they are Mike Woodlands Detectors, Bart Big Boys Hobbies these guys are some of the best in the Biz, and they are on here everyday helping people run their machines,you can`t go wrong....just the opposite....call one of them and see Real Customer Service in action
Gary

Agreed. I did business with Woodland Detectors and I am totally impressed with the service I received. I guess some things we can go local with (Grocery Store, Hardware Store) but some things we just have to go with the best in the business.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry you had this problem. I can understand a potion of the dealers actions, but he should have communicated a bit better with you, on the situation. I can sadly say I was taken for nearly 30,000.00 last year due to a few large orders I took on some very pricey Gold Machines. The card that was used had 2 different addresses, and I let it go through thinking the deal was legit. 3 Months later, there was a very large charge back on the credit card. I had to pay the Merchant, Manufacture plus interest incurred....OUCH! This dealer should have contacted you explaining his concerns on the discrepancy rather cancelling the sale without an explanation. Very odd he did that.

If you need anything from us in the future we will promise to offer the best customer service available with good communication.
We are open 7 days and you can either text us at 828-242-5407 or call toll free at 855-966-3563

Mike

tonehob

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2012
USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro,Minelab,whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you had this problem. I can understand a potion of the dealers actions, but he should have communicated a bit better with you, on the situation. I can sadly say I was taken for nearly 30,000.00 last year due to a few large orders I took on some very pricey Gold Machines. The card that was used had 2 different addresses, and I let it go through thinking the deal was legit. 3 Months later, there was a very large charge back on the credit card. I had to pay the Merchant, Manufacture plus interest incurred....OUCH! This dealer should have contacted you explaining his concerns on the discrepancy rather cancelling the sale without an explanation. Very odd he did that.

If you need anything from us in the future we will promise to offer the best customer service available with good communication.
We are open 7 days and you can either text us at 828-242-5407 or call toll free at 855-966-3563

Mike

not for anything but I tried to call you several times with no answer as a couple others. the one who finaly answered their phone finally got my business. I say this to hopefully make aware of some companies that they have to answer their phone especially during normal business hours if they want business. that is why the big box store does well although I did not order through them to give the smaller ones a chance. as a consumer it is also frustrating to want to buy something only to have the store never answer the phone. oh well someone finally did

peteacher37

Aug 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barts is awesome, dont shop anywhere else. Trust me.

not for anything but I tried to call you several times with no answer as a couple others. the one who finaly answered their phone finally got my business. I say this to hopefully make aware of some companies that they have to answer their phone especially during normal business hours if they want business. that is why the big box store does well although I did not order through them to give the smaller ones a chance. as a consumer it is also frustrating to want to buy something only to have the store never answer the phone. oh well someone finally did

There are some good companys out there but none better than Barts. I just ordered an Etrac and no one could come close! Trust me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions