Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is not a metal detecting find, but it is a find for today. Besides my regular job, I do handyman work for an 8 Unit Condo Assoc. that our friend lives in. I have noticed this photo sitting in the garage bay of one of the unit owners, for the last 5 years or so. I told my friend if the owner ever wanted to sell it, I would like to have it. My friend asked the owner the other day, if she would be willing to sell it. The owner said "Just take it and give it to him, it's been in my garage for 15 years, and I pulled it out of the garbage". I was floored - first because she gave it to me, and second that anyone would throw a picture like this away. So, I cleaned up the frame and glass, and on the front it reads "Back from France - Battery A - 68th Artillery". I was hoping and praying, that there would be some writing on the back of it, so I took off the cardboard backing and sure enough there it was. It reads " Taken at Camp Mills, Long Island N.Y. - Received at Fort Wadsworth N.York - Saturday Feb. 23rd, 1919" ! This photo will hold a prominent place in our home, as my wife and I both come from strong military families, with both of her parents serving in WW11. These are the real heroes of our country. Hope you enjoy the photo's.

Attachments

• ww1.JPG
    ww1.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 162
  • ww2.JPG
    ww2.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 137
Upvote 22

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save, love this picture! I wonder if the Spanish flu epidemic was over when this picture was taken?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... and second that anyone would throw a picture like this away.

unfortunately in a lot of cases the sentiment 'we will never forget' lasts perhaps only a generation or two. I never served in the military, but I have a tremendous amount of respect for those who have and I really hate to see things like that thrown out like trash. I'm glad to see that you choose to respect and honor the men in that photo

OP
OP
Trezurehunter

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the picture for Battery C

https://theworldwar.pastperfectonline.com/photo/EFBDD4B9-9956-467A-A535-922134662753

That looks like an original (or at least early print). Wonder if there is a museum for the 68th that could help make sure you have it preserved in proper glass, etc.?
Thanks Dig, It is an original photo. I plan to have a piece of Acid Free glass cut for it to help to preserve it further. It is in good shape for its age, although there are some damaged areas.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find/save of some real cool American history, congratulations! :notworthy:

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool picture and great to see it preserved for the future. My grandfather was in the Army infantry in WW1. I like the dog the soldier is holding, must be the mascot or something.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a little sad how many people dont really understand the sacrifices people have made for our freedoms or really appreciate them I also come from Military service Family. My Father had some pics like that from Korea Great save........

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was actually in Fort Wadsworth last week on a bike trail.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great photo of some great men. Nice save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread