WW I Era Buttons/ Other Metal..

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items found near training camp for troops used during the Mexican Revolution...Thousands of U.S. Troops were stationed to protect border towns and mines....

Still trying to get more information on the large metal some sort of buckle I presume...and the metal that says "U.S 24"

IMG_20171220_161911.jpg
IMG_20171220_162609.jpg
IMG_20171220_162612.jpg

Upvote 13

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds! US 24, crossed swords...hmm..I'll be checking back in to see how that i.d.'s...Ddf

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the cool digs. :occasion14: I really like digging up old military items.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big Great Seal piece looks like a hat device, would need to see the back to be sure. The crossed swords piece with the stamped number is an equipment tag. I have dug a lot of those in a WWI dump area here in N. GA.

D.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the disk with the crossed swords. Cool find !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some excellent military finds. I'd love to have those in my display case.

OP
OP
K

krednosreg45

Oct 31, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
White's MXT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the What is it? Forum
I did some research for you on your 24th US Cavalry Regiment tag-or-leather-decoration. (The stamped-sheetbrass dome with three "foldover" tabs on its rim, for attachment to thick leather or other material.) The 24th US Cav was a Buffalo Soldiers" cav regiment, meaning, its enlisted-men were African-Americans. It was reorganized into an Artillery unit in October 1917.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...rmy/2-82fa.htm
"In October 1917, the 24th Cavalry was reorganized and reequipped as an artillery regiment and on 1 November 1917 redesignated as the 82nd Field Artillery Regiment."

Few modern Americans seem to know about the brief (March 1916 to 1919) US-Mexico War, in which the US Army invaded Mexico as a result of cross-border raids by Pancho Villa. At the order of US President Woodrow Wilson, US General John J. Pershing of World War One fame led his troops into Mexico in March 1916, finally withdrawing them a year later, March 1917. Some troops from the US 24th Cavalry got themselves captured, whom the Mexican Government used as a bargaining chip to get the US to withdraw from Mexican soil.
Down Mexico Way | Shot in the Dark

I suspect your 24th Cavalry tag/ornament, which you found in Arizona, a US-Mexico "border state," was lost there during the actions against Mexico. The December 1914 date-stamp on your .45-caliber bullets, combined with the October 1917 ending of the 24th Cavalry, establishes the time-frame of your finds.

Your .45-caliber cartridges marked FA 12 14 are for the newly-invented and now world-famous US Army Colt Model-1911 Automatic Pistol. I should mention, they were also used in the equally famous Thompson Submachine Gun, also known as the "Tommy Gun."

The large brass disc with a brass bar across its back is a US Army "Great Seal" rosette from a horse's bridle. It was first issued around 1904. You can see one in the photo below, which shows a US Model-1909 bit-&-bridle harness assembly.

I'll also include a photo showing the domed sheetbrass 3-tab leather accouterment/decorations, on a horse's "backband saddle."

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other