Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Charlottesville VA
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Whites 6000di Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found what I thought was a WW1 memorial coin in a vacant lot in Fort Screven on Tybee Island, Ga. After cleaning, I noticed it was made with 2 pieces. Knowing I might ruin it, I decided to pry it open with a knife. What I found was a WW1 memorial locket coin.
I've had no luck finding anything on the internet that helps identify it. Any ideas where to look? Thanks
IMAG0881.jpg IMAG0883.jpg IMAG0885.jpg

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW..Islandman..GREAT FIND ! Sorry I cant help identify, and too bad Google didn't turn anything up..did you try E-bay? There might be something there identical or at least similar to compare it with. Thanks for sharing! ddf

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
The double phrase: 'Our liberties we praise' and 'Our rights we will maintain' is the motto for the State of Iowa--if that helps.
1917 was the year the state's flag (with those words) was approved. The token may have nothing, specifically, to do with WW I (1914-1918); then again, it may.
Don.....

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
that thing is cool. They have buttons like that too that a soldier could sew to his uniform and keep a picture of a loved one. This coin could be carried in pocket I guess for the same reason.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
There was an ebay auction for one at least 90 days ago. Found it using a reverse image search. Sadly you can't view the listing as it is expired but at least you know another exists. He described it as a work war 1 picture case coin. https://www.google.com/search?tbs=s...5XlAJg&ei=mF1bU9_dOOPhyQGE44CQDw&ved=0CAYQiBw

Using your research I was able to find it -- it is still listed here:

1917 World War 1 U s Medal Memorial Coin Style Picture Case "Never Used" Eagle | eBay

AN EXTREMELY COOL & UNIQUE PIECE TO US. WE HAVE NEVER SEEN ANOTHER, NOT SAYING THEY DO NOT EXIST, JUST SIMPLY IN ALL OUR NUMISMATIC WANDERINGS WE HAVE NEVER SEEN ONE.. BESIDES THIS ONE. AND WHEN WE SPOTTED IT WE HAD TO MAKE IT PART OF "GOODRICHCC"
NOW OFFERING: A LARGE SILVER DOLLAR SIZED COIN STYLED UNUSED PICTURE CASE... 1917 WORLD WAR 1 ERA
DISPLAYING A WONDERFUL U.S. PATRIOTIC OBVERSE OF AN HERALDIC EAGLE WITH BURSTING SUN RAYS
THE COIN LIKE SPECIMEN OPENS IN TWO, EXPOSING AN INTERIOR ABOUT 3/32 INCHES IN DEPTH FOR STORAGE AND ALSO REVEALS A PLACE TO DISPLAY "FOR THE FIRST TIME" A PICTURE OF YOUR CHOICE.
AN EXTREMELY COOL POCKET PIECE, WORLD WAR 1 COLLECTOR PIECE, OR A NUMISMATIST PIECE OF INTEREST.

Attachments

• wwiphotocoin.JPG
    wwiphotocoin.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Be sure to keep the paper with the item for more value. Its amazing it survived. It must be airtight.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread