What's new

WW1 pickelhaub helmet? Real or fake?

kaps

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 4, 2015
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! I'm new to the forum and was curious to know what kind of helmet this is and whether it's an original, or a worn out fake. I've seen so many variations online when trying to identify it so it hasn't helped much. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
 

Attachments

  • 2015-07-04 15.46.10.webp
    2015-07-04 15.46.10.webp
    88.1 KB · Views: 370
  • 2015-07-04 15.45.33.webp
    2015-07-04 15.45.33.webp
    101.3 KB · Views: 306
Koenig IS King , using the English alphabet. The German alphabet consists of a few extra letters that we don't have . They would spell it ," König ." We do not have the letter " ö " , which is pronounced differently than a regular " o," so in English, we spell the " ö " as , " oe."

Prounced as ;
[TABLE="width: 1"]
[TR]
[TD]ö[/TD]
[TD]sounds similar to the i in girl [/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I edited the picture a little with my cell because KOENIG almost looks like KORNIG to me. It also might clear up some of the other letters.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150713_045208.webp
    IMG_20150713_045208.webp
    57.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20150713_045343.webp
    IMG_20150713_045343.webp
    59 KB · Views: 123
Upvote 0
A comparison with the helmet that SUTPHIN posted:

IMG_20150713_050724.webp2015-07-04 15.46.10-1.webp
 
Upvote 0
I think the spearhead is used in hand to hand combat, the head of the warfighter is used to jab the spearhead into the opponent. The helmet that SUTPHIN posted has a real spearhead and the one that the OP posted looks to be OSHA compliant, lol. My guess is that the OP's helmet is a vintage reproduction.
 
Upvote 0
I think the spearhead is used in hand to hand combat, the head of the warfighter is used to jab the spearhead into the opponent.
No, they were hollow decorative finials. I suppose if someone stood still you could poke out an eye. "Remember, it's all fun and games until someone gets an eye put out" my pa always said.
Some of the German artillery guys had a ball finial instead of the spike.
 
Upvote 0
Yeah. In the trenches if you tried to get your head down so you could ram someone in a vital enough spot you'd find your neck broken when they grabbed that spike and wrenched it to one side.

Once the War got into gear the picklehaub became ceremonial or rear echelon (with a canvas cover).

There are a LOT of pre-war and war styles - but I don't recall seeing any with "rosettes" like those in the item images at the side posts where the strap attaches
 
Upvote 0
It's modeled after a 1915 Saxon Cuirassier's helmet. Repro in my opinion. That and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of coffee, if your lucky.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep, that would make a great handhold, just like a head full of hair.
 
Upvote 0
I don't see anything in the pics that says repop to me, but I'd still like to see the liner, and the inside to get a look at the rivets. I'd also like a good look at the strap, inside and the scales and the buckle. The wear on the outside looks right, but the inside will tell a story.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This has already been posted in reply number 28.


Hello! I'm new to the forum and was curious to know what kind of helmet this is and whether it's an original, or a worn out fake. I've seen so many variations online when trying to identify it so it hasn't helped much. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
This thread has been solved please mark it as such. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/369859-how-mark-your-what-solved-photo-tutorial.html Unfortunately the helmet is a "made in India" fake made to look old, everything wrong with it, reproduction. Once again- Pickelhaube Frankenstein? - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom