diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the estate sale of a WW2 vet today. Found a few pieces including a small banner, an enamel bolo, his knife in bad shape (Camillus USN) and a book that was signed by the author, another WW2 pilot.

His name is Albert O. Wilkat. He served as a 1st Lt pilot for the US Air Corps in World War II. He flew with the 2nd Troop Carrier Squadron in the China-Burma-India theater of operations, completing 191 missions and 797 combat hours.As a pilot of C-47 and C-46 transport planes he flew military supplies and personnel which were dropped to combat forces in the Burma battles and to military air strips in battle areas. In addition, he flew missions transporting supplies from Assam, India over the Himalaya Mountains to China through horrendous weather.

He was awarded 3 Distinguished Flying Crosses and 4 Air Medals.

It's too bad I don't have any proof that it actually came from him. This is the man... https://airandspace.si.edu/support/wall-of-honor/albert-o-wilkat
They don't make them like him anymore. A true American Patriot. One of the greatest generation. To me, the value of these items lies within the history it represents.

IMG_6945 (1280x646).jpg IMG_6946 (1280x697).jpg IMG_6941 (1280x720).jpg

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My great-grandfather served in the Boar War, my grandfather was in the British Cavalry in WW I & my father was in the RCAF in WW II. :thumbsup:

The very fact that you found these pieces of WW II history and have put in writing the story behind the man who they belonged to will help remind others of the sacrifices made by these brave men & women who served our countries so long ago. :usflag:
Thank you to all those who served and who are currently serving our great nations! :occasion14:

Dave

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And we’re all damm proud of him.. and all the others before and after him. PRICELESS !!!

GregK

Jan 10, 2008
Love that CBI Bolo. Likely issued or bought for a reunion. These items would look great with a blood chit displayed with them. Nicely done!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. We are losing the last of the WWII vets. Greatest generation for sure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions