What's new

WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
3,716
Reaction score
1,504
Golden Thread
0
Location
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Deus II/HF2, Manticore, E-Trac, Excalibur II, V3i, Pro-Find 40, Vibra-Probe 585, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

****** Update

Cleaned up the disk...was afraid the back would break off, but it turned out ok. Looks like it saw some abuse prior to being lost...

jan09_38.jpg


jan09_39.jpg


******

Went out for a 3 hour hunt this morning at Memorial (Camp Logan). Within 5 minutes I got the "US" collar disk (I call those quick first finds "appetizers", but sometimes that's all you get to eat :( ). It still needs cleaning (stuff is like glue), but it appears to have the back attachment still in place. I'll post an update when its cleaned up.

I wandered around for the next two hours and I thought I was on the moon...no signals...I kept checking to make sure my Sunray switch was in the right position.

There were some earthworks (which is where the trenches were for training purposes) and I ran my coil over the end of one and got a really erratic signal, but it had some good indicators so I dug it and a dog tag popped out. This thing is messed up, but I have most of the name..."Mike Brindice" probably. There are some other characters I can make out...V, H and HO (might be an S after the HO).

Shortly afterwards I found the metal tag, "Fire Tank to Shop F". Pretty cool.


jan09_33.jpg


jan09_34.jpg


jan09_35.jpg


jan09_36.jpg


jan09_37.jpg



HH!
TBGO
 
Upvote 0
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag

NICE FINDS. CONGRATS. :thumbsup:
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Update in original post.
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Nice finds Beep - and great pics :thumbsup:
That collar pin has cleaned up beautifully :icon_sunny:

I'm no expert on dog tags, could that one you found be pre-WWII ?

Mike
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

trikikiwi said:
Nice finds Beep - and great pics :thumbsup:
That collar pin has cleaned up beautifully :icon_sunny:

I'm no expert on dog tags, could that one you found be pre-WWII ?

Mike

Thanks trikiwiki! It is from WWI. This thread has some history concerning another dog tag I found recently...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,212678.0.html

HH!
TBGO
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Nice finds, pictures & clean up job, well done! :thumbsup:


Chris
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

What sort of matrix are you in? Those finds look like they were tortured before, during and after loss. A lot of chemical compounds in the area?

Nearby to me, a 1909 encampment, Camp Deneen gave up this collar pin from 8 inches under a road bed and it came out as pictured with the full screw in back.
 

Attachments

  • illcollarpin.gif
    illcollarpin.gif
    38.4 KB · Views: 602
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Lowbatts said:
What sort of matrix are you in? Those finds look like they were tortured before, during and after loss. A lot of chemical compounds in the area?

Nearby to me, a 1909 encampment, Camp Deneen gave up this collar pin from 8 inches under a road bed and it came out as pictured with the full screw in back.

That's a really nice disk lowbatts! The area I've been finding these things is mainly pine forest with some deciduous trees. The wheats and Indians come out pretty messed up too. Some of the other areas of the park don't seem to be as corrosive. I am not sure if it is the vegetaion or something inherent with the soil, or something that "happened" there in the early days. Some of the items have obvious fire damage.

I'm thinking that it is possible that the US disk got burned while it was still on some clothes, but who knows. That stuff that was on it was extremely tough.

HH!
TBGO
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Looks like the tags might be

Mike Brindisi... b. Italy, 1895.. living in Philly in 1920 and 1930.

Several Brindisi's now residing in the Ft. Meyers- Tallahasee area.

Hope that helps
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

The Beep Goes On said:
Update in original post.

Could be:

Michael Brindisi
Born March 2, 1892
Cook County Illinois
(From his WWI Draft Registration card)

DCMatt
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Thanks moholedigger and DCMatt!

I think DCMatt is probably correct since the 33rd Division from Illinois was stationed at Logan. I'll see if I can look up any of his descendants.

HH!
TBGO
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Very nice finds, and nice cleanup. :thumbsup:
 
Re: WWI "US" Collar Disk (with back) and Dog Tag - Update

Nice WW-I dog tag. I just found the son of the veteran for 2 that I found. Good luck, Bryan
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom