Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
So. NM
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2, Minelab (various models), Fisher 2 Box
Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WY Gold Nugget-Where the Antelope Play part-2 (The rest of the story)

Nobody gets it all. That's true enough for sure. Sometimes it's the easiest ones that get left behind. The pile to the left looked like it had been kicked and raked down, no telling how many times. Even though the nugget had likely been moved around some, I still found it hard to understand why it was overlooked since it was no more than 6" deep.
Out of sight to the right of the photo was a shallow, narrow stream full of reeds etc. with sparse water flow. The remains of a couple of old wooden Long Tom's, probably from the
1930s lay mostly submerged in the mud. A few rusty bolts and washers came out of the back pile but no gold.

244743321_WYGOLD.JPG.3cbacefeff50a5a589e28d8501157e0d.JPG
614344328_1626841973_NUGGETTAILINGPILE.png.38fa1b7ecf9904ba08746426b039423e1.thumb.png.b90c99bf259574c7e946f1ee3e8234a2.png

After I had dug the nugget out of the tailing pile, and placed it in a Bandana in my pocket. I walked up an intersecting canyon on the way back to my vehicle, carrying my detector, digging tools and, a snub nose hammerless/stainless .38 Special revolver tucked into my hip pocket.

A short distance later, I encountered a young man in his mid 20's up to his elbows digging into the side of a creek bank with a long handled garden shovel. His 5 gal bucket was full of dirt that he said he planned to take home and pan out. The man's wife was sitting in the driver's seat of a pickup truck looking out the window at him, while his two kids, a boy and girl about 9 and 10 years of age stood in the bed of the truck watching the family dog run around in circles, barking and chasing its tail. The wife greeted me cordially and I said hello, then stood watching the man remove the last shovelful of dirt from the hole in the bank. She offered me a Pepsi from their cooler which I gratefully accepted and thanked her for. I turned back to chat with her husband who was staring at my detector and asked if I had found anything. I pulled out the Bandana and dropped the nugget into his hand for him to look at. He said, "Wow" at the nugget and glanced down at the exposed grips of the .38 revolver in my hip pocket then said, "You would probably shoot me in the back if I took off running with your nugget, huh?" I smiled politely at him and replied sincerely, " No sir, not necessarily, but I just might take off with your wife, your truck, your 2 kids and your dog!"
His wife was grinning down at us now, waiting to see what her husband's reaction would be. The man considered it for a long moment then handed the nugget back to me, which I returned to my pocket. Suddenly, he slammed his shovel to the ground, and shouted up at his wife, " Dammit! This is bulls$it! I told you I needed a metal detector!"
She shouted right back at him,"You had your choice between a detector and a 30.06 and you chose the 30.06!!
He griped back at her for a bit, then calmed down and offered to buy the nugget from me. He said "I know that's over an ounce and I will pay you cash for it right now" By that
time, I was laughing so hard I just told the man, "Sir, it's not even close to an Oz. I do appreciate the offer, but I really don't want to sell it. Thank you anyway!"

I thanked the lady again for the Pepsi, said goodbye to the kids, petted the dog, and left the man mumbling to himself about how he was sure it was over an ounce, and grumbling at his wife because she wouldn't let him have a metal detector.
:smile:

Upvote 12

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember vividly the day I bumped into Ray Mills out at one of the many great detecting spots around Redding. It was hot, I was sweating bullets. I had hiked over the mountain and through the woods. I was headed back to the truck, out of water and miles from my tires. There along the trail was that full head of grey hair relaxing under a charred manzanita. I sat down next to him and introduced myself, and of course asked him if he had any luck. He tossed a pill bottle into my hands. I opened it and into my palm plopped a massive nugget. It is on the front page of the icmj as rays largest sunbaker he had ever found. I got to hold that nugget. I was a little surprised at first that a person would toss a stranger something so valuable with not much thought. Congratulations on a very respectable nugget from a very unlikely location.

OP
OP
B

BlueKnight

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
So. NM
Detector(s) used
Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice find. I've been following this company on LinkedIn, Relevant Gold. They've been doing some exploration drilling up there in Wyoming.
Yeah, that's the main reason I won't be headed back there anytime soon. The Corporate interests have filed hundreds of claims that leave pretty slim pickings for the individual miner/metal detectorists, even if you join the local prospecting club.. Gold can still be found, but like many places, the opportunities seem to be getting much more restrictive.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's the main reason I won't be headed back there anytime soon. The Corporate interests have filed hundreds of claims that leave pretty slim pickings for the individual miner/metal detectorists, even if you join the local prospecting club.. Gold can still be found, but like many places, the opportunities seem to be getting much more restrictive.
It's kinda sad how things have become these days

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember vividly the day I bumped into Ray Mills out at one of the many great detecting spots around Redding. It was hot, I was sweating bullets. I had hiked over the mountain and through the woods. I was headed back to the truck, out of water and miles from my tires. There along the trail was that full head of grey hair relaxing under a charred manzanita. I sat down next to him and introduced myself, and of course asked him if he had any luck. He tossed a pill bottle into my hands. I opened it and into my palm plopped a massive nugget. It is on the front page of the icmj as rays largest sunbaker he had ever found. I got to hold that nugget. I was a little surprised at first that a person would toss a stranger something so valuable with not much thought. Congratulations on a very respectable nugget from a very unlikely location.
Ray is trusting and someone that can be trusted.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nobody gets it all. That's true enough for sure. Sometimes it's the easiest ones that get left behind. The pile to the left looked like it had been kicked and raked down, no telling how many times. Even though the nugget had likely been moved around some, I still found it hard to understand why it was overlooked since it was no more than 6" deep.
Out of sight to the right of the photo was a shallow, narrow stream full of reeds etc. with sparse water flow. The remains of a couple of old wooden Long Tom's, probably from the
1930s lay mostly submerged in the mud. A few rusty bolts and washers came out of the back pile but no gold.

614344328_1626841973_NUGGETTAILINGPILE.png.38fa1b7ecf9904ba08746426b039423e1.thumb.png.b90c99bf259574c7e946f1ee3e8234a2.png

After I had dug the nugget out of the tailing pile, and placed it in a Bandana in my pocket. I walked up an intersecting canyon on the way back to my vehicle, carrying my detector, digging tools and, a snub nose hammerless/stainless .38 Special revolver tucked into my hip pocket.

A short distance later, I encountered a young man in his mid 20's up to his elbows digging into the side of a creek bank with a long handled garden shovel. His 5 gal bucket was full of dirt that he said he planned to take home and pan out. The man's wife was sitting in the driver's seat of a pickup truck looking out the window at him, while his two kids, a boy and girl about 9 and 10 years of age stood in the bed of the truck watching the family dog run around in circles, barking and chasing its tail. The wife greeted me cordially and I said hello, then stood watching the man remove the last shovelful of dirt from the hole in the bank. She offered me a Pepsi from their cooler which I gratefully accepted and thanked her for. I turned back to chat with her husband who was staring at my detector and asked if I had found anything. I pulled out the Bandana and dropped the nugget into his hand for him to look at. He said, "Wow" at the nugget and glanced down at the exposed grips of the .38 revolver in my hip pocket then said, "You would probably shoot me in the back if I took off running with your nugget, huh?" I smiled politely at him and replied sincerely, " No sir, not necessarily, but I just might take off with your wife, your truck, your 2 kids and your dog!"
His wife was grinning down at us now, waiting to see what her husband's reaction would be. The man considered it for a long moment then handed the nugget back to me, which I returned to my pocket. Suddenly, he slammed his shovel to the ground, and shouted up at his wife, " Dammit! This is bulls$it! I told you I needed a metal detector!"
She shouted right back at him,"You had your choice between a detector and a 30.06 and you chose the 30.06!!
He griped back at her for a bit, then calmed down and offered to buy the nugget from me. He said "I know that's over an ounce and I will pay you cash for it right now" By that
time, I was laughing so hard I just told the man, "Sir, it's not even close to an Oz. I do appreciate the offer, but I really don't want to sell it. Thank you anyway!"

I thanked the lady again for the Pepsi, said goodbye to the kids, petted the dog, and left the man mumbling to himself about how he was sure it was over an ounce, and grumbling at his wife because she wouldn't let him have a metal detector.
Enjoyed your write up and the photos. Congratulations on a good day in the field.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoyed your write up and the photos. Congratulations on a good day in the field.
Although you mentioned the sidearm (decent choice that fits in the top of your front pocket in the woods). You failed to mention what detector you were using.

I’m right handed..I used to like to carry a larger revolver behind my back in a left handed holster. You could talk to folks with you hands comfortably on your hips while the butt was in your right hand. Not something most people consider doing. In fact most right handed people I know don’t own a weak side holster.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
It's a smart thing to be alert and ready for some unknown problem BEFORE it presents itself ! I've read about some jerks that "bum rush" a guys camp at night and grab whatever they can and run off into the night with something of yours's The last time I was out (years ago ) I checked on who was packing..................EVERYONE !!! I would pity the idiot that tried "bum rushing our camp back then ,and this is something that I just always do in my retirement here in North St. Louis ,Mo. It's just a smart thing to be ready and prepared to protect yourself ! It has NOTHING about being scared or whatever people think ! :coffee2:

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF

Yeah you didn't mention your detector, where abouts were you? Where is it getting tough to detect.
I've been pretty much to all districts and planning a trip this summer. A heads up on where to avoid wild be appreciated.

wyobuck

Dec 1, 2009
Orange City, FL
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, Xterra 705, Surf PI DF
Yeah you didn't mention your detector, where abouts were you? Where is it getting tough to detect.
I've been pretty much to all districts and planning a trip this summer. A heads up on where to avoid wild be appreciated.
Should have watched the video first. Both areas they are claiming I have found gold. These big corporations should be limited on how much they can grab!

OP
OP
B

BlueKnight

Greenie
Sep 30, 2012
So. NM
Detector(s) used
Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It was a ML 2200sd but at 6" deep any detector would have found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions