MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I spent a good portion of my time, for several years, prospecting for diamonds in the Green River Basin. never found a diamond, but found lots of kimberlite-indicator minerals, like chromum diopside, pyrope garnet, and others. I met a guy from South Africa who was over here looking for diamonds. He now has several k-pipes claimed in the area you mentioned, and also near the old Kelsey Lake diamond mine. He had, at one time, the rights to the Sloan Ranch diamondiferous kimberlites, too. Don't know if he still has those rights. I left 2 sluices in drywashes in the basin. Haven't checked them for 3 years. Need to get that done next summer. Sluices aren't much good for gems, but work to some extent, and you can leave them in remote locations to do their work. Figured it was worth a try.:-)
Jim

OP
OP
D

dowser

Jul 13, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MINELAB 2100, L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent a good portion of my time, for several years, prospecting for diamonds in the Green River Basin. never found a diamond, but found lots of kimberlite-indicator minerals, like chromum diopside, pyrope garnet, and others. I met a guy from South Africa who was over here looking for diamonds. He now has several k-pipes claimed in the area you mentioned, and also near the old Kelsey Lake diamond mine. He had, at one time, the rights to the Sloan Ranch diamondiferous kimberlites, too. Don't know if he still has those rights. I left 2 sluices in drywashes in the basin. Haven't checked them for 3 years. Need to get that done next summer. Sluices aren't much good for gems, but work to some extent, and you can leave them in remote locations to do their work. Figured it was worth a try.:-)
Jim

Thanks, I knew someone woulda checked. I've learned a little about diamond ore, watching in Arkansas. I saw multiple places listed with G-10 Garnets, around N Colorado and S Wyoming. I know that the ore itself might not contain many gems, because most were resorbed if not cooled quickly. Diamonds in Arkansas are found in years of deteriorated lamphorite gravels. If a gravely area exists around their, maybe someone can get lucky. Sounds like a fun place to explore..

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I really enjoyed diamond prospecting. I was always finding other gemstones, which kept it interesting. Thew diamonds are there, even in the Green River Basin, but in that basin the kimberlites are eroded down and buried under hundreds of feet of erosion debris from the Uinta Mouintains. The diamonds were dispersed long ago, but still occasionally found. There are also tons of fluorescent minerals in the basin.
Jim

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree! just North of where you were is a ton of Jade. May not be a diamond, but still worth picking up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread