Xlt Depth?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The XLT should get 10" or more on a silver Ouarter.
Newly buried coins don`t read that good/deep so you can`t tell by that, it takes time for a test/coin garden.
The Xlt has very good depth !!
Gary

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT E series with sunray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10" or more on a silver quarter? Is yours supercharged or what? I've never came even remotely close to that depth, even with a hot coil and hot program. Just kinda wondering what kind a program you run to get that kind of depth? Any tweaks or secrets on the XLT would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The XLT should get 10" or more on a silver Ouarter.
Newly buried coins don`t read that good/deep so you can`t tell by that, it takes time for a test/coin garden.
The Xlt has very good depth !!
Gary

what about an ounce of lead? How deep will it pick that up? Is there a better way to detect lead at 1 foot deep or more?
Thanks, L.C.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
10" or more on a silver quarter? Is yours supercharged or what? I've never came even remotely close to that depth, even with a hot coil and hot program. Just kinda wondering what kind a program you run to get that kind of depth? Any tweaks or secrets on the XLT would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I have found dimes at nearly that depth, so I know that quarters can ring in at that depth.

There are lots of programs available online, I have made a few tweaks for my area that works great in the PNW.

Search for Coinists programs, load a few and tweak as neccessary.

I have been experimenting with mixed mode. Works great in areas with few targets.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
One thing that I have done is take the settings of the stock programs in the XLT and put it in a spreadsheet. Then I recorded all of my custom programs as well. This allows me to look at the settings of all the programs and compare them, and adjust the programs to my liking.

If anyone wants this file, just let me know. I also included the definitions of what each setting does just for reference.

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I would like your information, would you e mail or personal message me?

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are my custom XLT programs. I don't run "hot", but I do search deep. Soil conditions can affect performance by an inch or so, but should not make a big difference. Learn the trademark sounds of a good target. View attachment 879564 Let the machine do the work, don't dig junk signals because you hope they are something good. Sometimes I search more than an hour without digging. I will usually dig 50-60% good targets using these programs. Don't worry about what you may be missing. Concentrate on what you are finding! Learn the machine and have fun! H Digs! View attachment 879555 View attachment 879556 View attachment 879557 View attachment 879558

Last edited:

mapper123

Feb 6, 2007
NW South Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,
Fisher F2
Teknetics Delta 4000
Garrett ace350
How does one determine what the XLT setting are for standard & special programs. I bought a used XLT & I don't know how to determine what the settings are. I understand how to use the up & down keys to see individual settings......is this the only way?

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Yes, you review settings by scrolling through them.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know some of the older detectors require a fast sweep speed to pick up targets good, not sure if the XLT is a fast sweep detector or not, does anyone else know if its a fast sweep or not? I know a friend of mine has one of the older eagle spectrums and it requires a fast sweep speed to pick up on targets good. HH

shadowcat1971

May 5, 2012
Northern MN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I think the XLTs are a 4 filter machine and require a faster sweep speed. HH!

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

As a side note, the Coinmaster 6000/Di Series 3 owner's manual specifically states that detector could pick up a quarter at 10" deep. Considering what an improvement the XLT represents over the older "blue box" units, I'd expect it to be able to at least match the performance of earlier detectors. The problem is, the factory presets on both the 6000/Di and XLT are intentionally "basic" or "all around" settings that will give good results under most conditions. The 6000/Di was easier to understand and tweak up, with fewer variables (settings) available to the user to mess with. The XLT, on the other hand, has lots and lots of settings for the operator to adjust. Without a solid understanding of how all the settings interrelate, it's impossible to get the optimum settings (maximum depth) and far more likely to actually hurt performance.

OP
OP
46 Regulator

46 Regulator

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2013
I've got a few years on xlt,my detecting partner
Has used one since they were new.
I'm not saying I know everything about xlt because I don't,but I feel like we have the program pretty well understood.
I've dug coins down to 8",but it's pretty
Poor that deep.i have two xlt"s same results.
I like the balance with bullseye 5.3 coil ,but can't get close to 8" with it .
I've got bluemax , bullseye , couple stock coils.
About 4" deep does great,past that not so much,
I've got two 8" targets in my test garden,if grounds damp enough in all metal it may try to hit on clad dime,but very poorly vdi jumps around like trash.other target is 8" merc and it never hits on either detector.
Will do test with new detector tomorrow and let you know results.

Kampnhuntr

Oct 11, 2012
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Amigo II , White's XLT, Fisher Gold Strike, Minelab Pro-Find Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We would also like your information if you would send us a PM. Thanks for Sharing!

OP
OP
46 Regulator

46 Regulator

Tenderfoot
Sep 26, 2013
Used a garret at pro on my test garden hit every target,quarter depth was off a little ,but was impressed.8" targets were very clear & could lift
Coil to 12" still get vdi#.
I have two detectors for sale and a at pro on way.

ArizFlash

Sep 19, 2008
North Central WA
Detector(s) used
Whites - V3 i , MXT Pro, XLT, IDX
Fisher F70, Teknetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the XLT settings definitions I found on another forum

[h=3]Spectrum XLT Settings Definition Sheet[/h]
[h=4]Basic Adjustments[/h]
Target Volume: Sets the desired loudness of a target response.
Audio Threshold: Sets the desired loudness of the threshold (background hum).
Tone (Audio Freq): Adjusts the tone (pitch) of the threshold (background hum).
Audio Disc.: All Metal Mode or Discriminate mode.
Silent Search: No threshold (background hum) or threshold (background hum).
Mixed Mode: Discrimination (A.C.) response or All Metal (D.C.) and Discrimination (A.C.) response.
A.C. Sensitivity: Discrimination sensitivity.
D.C. Sensitivity: All Metal and pinpoint sensitivity.
Backlight: 0 is off, 1-6 is on at different brightness levels.
Viewing Angle: Adjustment makes the display easier to see at different temperatures.
[h=4]Pro Options[/h]
[h=5]Audio[/h]
Ratchet Pinpointing: Automatically detune the loop when pinpointing.
S.A.T. Speed: Adjust the threshold autotune speed only in no discriminate or mixed mode, has no affect in discriminate mode.
Tone I.D.: Identifies targets by assigning each VDI # a seperate tone.
V.C.O.: In All Metal or pinpoint mode, target response will increase in loudness and pitch as coil approaches target location.
Absolute Value: BigFoot coil option.
Modulation: Gives full volume on all targets, shallow targets may break up a little. This option is forced on when Silent Search is selected.
[h=5]G.E.B. / TRAC[/h]
Autotrac: Turns the autotrac ON or OFF, this is good for maintaining a fixed ground balance point.
Trac View: Allows users to see when the detector autotracs.
Autotrac Speed: How fast the detector will adjust to the ground when autotrac is ON.
Autotrac Offset: Can add a positive or negative offset to the ground balance point.
Trac Inhibit: Allows the cancellation of ground tracking overs targets.
Coarse G.E.B.: Adjustment of the coarse G.E.B. (turn autotrac OFF when using).
Fine G.E.B.: Adjustment of the fine G.E.B. (turn autotrac OFF when using).
Coarse and Fine G.E.B. are used to manually ground balance the detector. Before using these adjustments, the Autotrac feature needs to be OFF. Then you adjust the Coarse and Fine settings until you are close to no variation in sound between the air and ground when the loop is lifted and lowered.
[h=5]Discrimination[/h]
Disc. Edit
Accept & Reject: Allows VDI numbers to be accepted or rejected one at a time.
Block Edit: Allows VDI numbers to be accepted or rejected in groups by scrolling.
Learn Accept: ON allows targets swept in front of the coil to be accepted by the VDI number the detector reads.
Learn Reject: ON allows targets swept in front of the coil to be rejected by the VDI number the detector reads.
Recovery Speed: How fast the detector recovers for the next target reading, too high of a setting and depth is lost, too low and target seperation sensitivity is lost.
Bottlecap Reject: More iron rejection at a high setting, nickels tend to sound better at lower settings.
[h=5]Display[/h]
Visual Disc.: Allows the display of all VDI numbers rejected or accepted when targeted.
Icons: Allows the display of icons that represent the targets detected, OFF tends to speed up the display response.
V.D.I. Sensitivity: How sensitive the display is to the target detected, above 85 gives a three digit VDI number.
D.C. Phase: Gives a D.C. Phase VDI number for targets detected.
Graph Averaging: Averages the target VDI hits for the display.
Graph Accumulating: Accumulates target VDI bars on the display instead of clearing out before displaying next target.
Fade Rate: How fast the displayed target VDI bars fade from the display, 0 resets the display after each target.
[h=5]Signal[/h]
Transmit Boost: Usually ON, may be better as OFF when searching a saltwater beach or blacksand.
Transmit Frequency: Can be changed to alleviate interference from other detectors operating at the same frequency or possible interference from electrical sources.
Preamp Gain: Adjustment of the sensitivity, higher settings affect both A.C. and D.C. sensitivity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread