Xp deus,muliple frequencies can be only used independently compared to minelab 800

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both machines very good, just thinking, yes many frequencies but why not operate together, is that to many to operate simultaneously and would give false information. Just curious xp deus may be wireless with multiple charging and not water proof. I want to metal detect folks without constantly switching, it’s hard enough to cover such small areas without out keeping to go back over because of single frequencies unlike minelab 800. Does anyone understand my point. Both are very good but, man I’m not interested on switching, if I miss out that’s on me, so in this I prefer the 800 just seems like inconvenience, explain if I’m wrong , thankyou

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get what you want. Try to test drive both machines if you can. I have been up with a single frequency machine versus a multi and I won! All the time I've tried. I have absolutely no interest in a multi frequency machine. To each his own. You'll just have to make up your mind what you want. Isn't Fort Bedford Metal Detectors semi close to you? Give them a call.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even Minelab notes the fact that there are times when a single frequency offers better performance. There is a reason why the Nox 800 offers the option to use single frequencies - it isn't just a marketing gimmick.

Hunting the same area from multiple directions is suggested because doing so offers the detectorist the best opportunity of finding the most good targets. Using multiple frequencies (or not) has nothing to do with it; the practice of employing multiple directions (same area) is far superior to hunting an area in one direction only. Even if the machine being used features a simultaneous multiple frequency option.

If you're only hunting the area in one direction you are leaving good targets in the ground. If you think you can avoid that by using a MF machine, you are mistaken.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No please understand I’m not the goof ball detectorist, when I enter a specific area I go slow when I here a light tone I approach it from all angles, I don’t think anyone has time to turn to 5khz , then 10 kHz ,them 15 kHz, then 20 kHz and so on individually. I use the simplex, look no matter what detector you use if you go over a potential target slowly you will here a tone of some significance, now it’s up to. You to dig the item. There’s isn’t a digger out there that didn’t pass up or miss something on any machine. My philosophy is this I prefer to go slower cover less ground while others go like hell and cover more ground, the chances are they missed something. Common sense is such a a detector when swung over a target should recognize it ferrous, metal, coin, junk regardless it’s a marketing prop, more frequencies are better well, I already here on here the most experienced diggers prefer single frequencies instead. So you tell me, more better, I prefer to work simultaneously, if I choose single great but life to dam short to go back over with the xp deus with its 20 frequencies , 20 different times. I might be committed to a nut house if I went that route, anyone understand my point

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't re-do any spot unless there is a big concentration of nails there. On open fields and beach sand - never. Use a tight pattern, go slow, dig iffy targets, really doesn't matter which frequency too much on any targets 8" or less, and don't overthink it.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 machines that have the ability to change frequencies (Multi Kruzer, Multi Anfibio, ORX, and Deus) and one machine that can do the fore-mentioned and use multiple frequencies at the same time (Apex). Previously I owned another machine (V3i) that could select a frequency or hunt in three frequencies at the same time. None of those machines require more than a brief moment to change the frequency - not that I've really ever bothered to change frequencies for a single target. I'm just explaining that time isn't an issue when it comes to changing frequencies.

I have seen a video where the user would change frequencies (he was using a Deus) to discern bottle caps from coins. That isn't something I do, but his video suggests that it can help. Then again I have very little time on the Deus so perhaps it will be something I try in the future.

I primarily hunt old permission sites; places with 200+ years of history. I hunt them over and over - from different directions - with different coils, machines, and frequencies. I normally do get additional good targets as a result. I don't know that the good results are necessarily the machine used, so much as they are due to different directions hunted and the trash being slowly removed (thusly unmasking good targets).

Despite living a short distance from various beaches I seldom hunt them. When I do go to the beach, I do try to hunt them from a different direction (when possible) for the same reasons I do that on my permission sites.

Think about it. It is relatively rare to hunt virgin ground now. Most places have been hunted by others, yet good targets are still being found.

Why is that?

Is it the machine?

Perhaps, but good targets are found with machines that aren't considered top-of-the-line. I have hunted areas, after hunting with a high dollar machine, with introductory machines and found good targets. I do think the machine can make a difference, but the most expensive machine won't find the target that it isn't swinging over.

Is it the detectorist?

If so, what is that detectorist doing that finds good targets in locations that have been pounded by other detectorists?

Digging iffy signals?

Better coverage (via proper swinging)?

Hunting from a slightly different angle?

I don't know the answer. I do know that hunting my permissions from various angles has produced good targets that were previously missed.

OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m sorry I may have sounded dissatisfied, oh no just saying myway of detecting is going slower than average person, if I here a sound of interest I stop go over it side angles. Very simple then dig or move on. Obviously I want the fullest ability to get a signal but processing is most important, I’m not worried about digging junk , we all dig more junk than good. I haven’t became that lazy yet or health permit me otherwise. So sometimes the more videos you watch they are much the same, thanks

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
49er12, I'm not sure if you mentioned what kinds of locations you like to hunt. Where do you hunt? Old homesites? Open fields? Parks/tot lots? The beach?
Here's why I ask: I have both the Equinox 800 and the XP Deus. Here's how I use them:
- Old homesites: XP Deus (I think it separates good targets in dense iron better than the multi-frequency Equinox)
- Open fields: XP Deus (I think it whispers on smaller targets better than the Equinox, although the Equinox would be OK too).
- Parks: Equinox (the Nox does a better job helping me avoid pull tabs - if I'm avoiding them and cherry picking coins. I also think that the Equinox's VDI is more reliable/consistent on coins than the Deus.)
- The beach: I don't detect there too much but when I do it's the Equinox (full waterproof just in case my unit rolls into the surf, which happened to my old White's).

I think both detectors have their place and their role. I owned the Nox first and did well with it, but felt that at some locations with history the Deus would do better - and I think it is doing better.
At the bottom I'll include a video that I did at a historic home where I actually swung over the same targets with the Equinox (multi-frequency mode) and the Deus (x35 11" coil in either 11khz or 17khz).

As for the actual frequencies used (your original question):
- with the Equinox I use multi-frequency all the time, except for situations where EMI makes that impossible. Only then will I use a single frequency. I think Minelab is smarter than me and they offered multi-frequency for a reason, so that's my go-to. And in one field where I was under a power line I felt 10khz and 15khz were much worse than multi-frequency.
- with the XP Deus I'm still learning, but I'm taking advice from people like Smokey and vferrari and using higher frequencies. I just bought the 9"x5" High Frequency elliptical coil for the Deus and in my initial tests I think that at 33kzh (about?) it makes coins "Pop" much more clearly than lower frequencies. Those coins have been kind-of shallow though, 4-6" at an old church and at an old school. I don't change frequencies; if the signal is iffy I just dig it up. I dig a lot of trash but my most recent ring was something I thought would be trash....

I hope my comments help.
In summary: I suggest not worrying about frequency options and instead invest in the detector that matches your use case. The Equinox is probably the more all-around detector, but if you're going for history or in dense iron I think the Deus is better. And I'm finding that when I'm in an either-or situation (like at an old church recently) I pick the Deus. I just like the way it talks to me better.

- Brian

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Deus and a Tesoro Cibola. I will probably never bother to purchase another machine - ever. I will fix both until I die. If the Cibola can't be repaired, I'll just have one machine. I dig enough stuff I really don't have trashy sites. And yes, I have been to a few virgin sites. And I don't care if I dig a bottlecap or pull tab. I would view it as a waste of time to switch a program or a frequency to discriminate out a bottle cap. On my Deus I can tell a bottle cap 90% of the time by sound in the headphones. The only ones I have problems with are the ones with the additional aluminum foil wrapped around them.

Or put another way, I don't care about pull tabs or bottle caps, I don't do parks, so its irrelevant in open fields. I'm looking for old stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
49er12

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I detect all the above thankyou sir

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread