Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Calabash, when you say 9 is the best coil for the Deus, do you mean the reg 9" or the elliptical HF 9"?

both are good but the hf nine has been on my machine and haven't put the lf 9 back on it . I like the hf better in most cases.

OP
OP
J

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Everyone thank you - now a more money invested question - the Deus ranges from 800 to 1500 $$
Is there a real difference in those control panels. Keep in mind that i don’t mind a wired headset.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can buy a whole ws 5 setup for under 1300.00 if you contact a dealer, if your gonna spend it its best to get full set up. You can buy a used for 900=1000 and get warranty transferred to you.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend the WS4 setup and the Deteknix headphones that can accommodate the WS4 puck if you want over the ear headphones (approximately same total cost as the WS5 setup and you can have your choice of over the ear phones or light wireless backphones depending on your preference or environmental conditions - e.g., backphones for hot weather or when you want to have audible awareness of your surroundings or over the ear headphones for cold weather conditions or when you want to block outside noise). The reason being that the WS4 puck is completely waterproof and with an adapter can be used standalone if you do not want to get the remote wet as either just wireless headphones or the puck can be detached and used as a target ID display with a set of cheap wired headphones plugged into it (using an adapter). With the WS5 you are stuck with those headphones (their is no removeable puck).

As far as the remote control box, while you can detect without it, you cannot input custom programs into your coil without it so you would be stuck with the stock programs which are lacking (you can modify some aspects of the stock program settings for the current detecting session but cannot save those changes as custom programs). Also, you lose the non-motion modes without the remote control (i.e., pinpoint mode) and other graphic information such as the ferrous/non-ferrous/depth indicator and the X-Y graphic display which can be use to identify trash targets.

Bottom line - the WS4 package affords headphone flexibility and do not go for the Deus Lite package without the remote. And I am also not a big fan of the not so lite package that omits the wireless headphones for a set of wired phones.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an opportunity to buy a XP Deus from a friend WS4 package with the 4.0 upgrade at a good price only used a handful of time, but he only has the 11” coil and I mostly do parks. I was going to wait on the equinox just like everyone else but the price is right except I heard that the 11” doesn’t work well at parks with high mineralization. Is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not true. The 11" coil is fine, just more coverage per swing otherwise same performance as 9" with perhaps a smidge more depth than the 9". The 9" is of course lighter, easier to maneuver in tight quarters, and perhaps has a smidge more separation than the 11". If I could only have two coils, I would get the 11" LF and the 9" HF. Since you can't buy HF coils as part of a Deus package, I'd say you are off to a great start. You really can't go wrong with either LF coil (except that I would avoid the 13x10 because it is nose heavy, flexes the stock shaft, and has practically no performance advantage other than swing coverage). HTH.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good advice !

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an opportunity to buy a XP Deus from a friend WS4 package with the 4.0 upgrade at a good price only used a handful of time, but he only has the 11” coil and I mostly do parks. I was going to wait on the equinox just like everyone else but the price is right except I heard that the 11” doesn’t work well at parks with high mineralization. Is that true?

Also, just wanted to add that since you just got a Max, there is nothing really compelling for you to get an Equinox. The Equinox weight delta from the Max is not all that great vs. the Deus and the Deus is more compact in transport. Plus going for a used Deus deal makes sense. When would you be able to do that with the Equinox. Now if I was deciding between the Max or Equinox, I'd wait and see how the Equinox pans out, but since youj already pulled the trigger on the Max, considering the used Deus as a companion to your Max makes more sense to me than the Equinox.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as Equinox vs. Deus is concerned, I do plan plan on getting an Equinox (and will keep the Deus) if the Equinox delivers on its promises for three reasons: simultaneous multifrequency should afford better performance than the Deus (and the Max for that matter) in wet salt sand/surf and it would be nice to go water hunting without fitting out the Deus with all the coax and lanyard claptrap that I do not use when terrestrial hunting. Just grab the Equinox and go. And finally, like that the Equinox complies with the BT Standard which means I can use my favorite set of BT Sport headphones with the Equinox.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Go for it! I got a used WS5 pack with the 11" LF coil and love the thing. Works great everywhere.
Kills it at my parks. Have found a couple of 14k gold wedding bands, a 10k class ring, all sorts of Silver coins, bullets, toy cars, keys, locks, etc. I have done a couple of ring finds for people and returned a killer engagement ring and a studded wedding band.
Found someones lucky coins in a satchel... Sweet 72 Ike and a 100% Silver Standing Liberty. Pretty good season for me with my used WS5 setup!

Phishfarmer

Feb 26, 2016
Petersburg Virginia
Detector(s) used
Deus, Others
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, me too. I bought the Deus with the 11" and hunted with a guy that had the nine. We laugh about it, i would find a tiny squeaker and he would go over it and could not hear it or it would be scratchy but in trash his smaller coil separated targets better.

The 9" elliptical is what I use now.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All i have is the 11" coil,i will not buy a smaller coil for the Deus till they make a 5" or 6".
Tested two of my other machines with 5" coils and the Deus with the 11" coil .
The Deus 11" sees as well in the Iron as the 5"coils on the other machines and is lighter.
I have 11" coils for my other detectors and 11" other brands... to 11" Deus sees much better in the old Iron littered home sites.
5" or 6" coil on the Deus would be wild .
Gary

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, just wanted to add that since you just got a Max, there is nothing really compelling for you to get an Equinox. The Equinox weight delta from the Max is not all that great vs. the Deus and the Deus is more compact in transport. Plus going for a used Deus deal makes sense. When would you be able to do that with the Equinox. Now if I was deciding between the Max or Equinox, I'd wait and see how the Equinox pans out, but since youj already pulled the trigger on the Max, considering the used Deus as a companion to your Max makes more sense to me than the Equinox.

I totally agree. I want something lighter not worried about waterproof. I gonna sell my ATP and maybe my F75 LTD.

OP
OP
J

jss1216

Apr 17, 2014
Shelton,Ct
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
All thank you - I bought the XP today - full setup
XP DEUS Metal Detector + Wireless WS5 Full Headphones + Controller and 11 inch Coil

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All thank you - I bought the XP today - full setup
XP DEUS Metal Detector + Wireless WS5 Full Headphones + Controller and 11 inch Coil

Curious why you chose the WS5's over the WS4's - Just want to know what is important to folks so I can make informed recommendations to future Deus owners. Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread