What's new

yard sale find

ticm

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2007
Messages
3,243
Reaction score
792
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
saw this at a yard sale down the street from me. Five bucks brought it home!! It's a minnow trap. I am guessing from around the 1930's The lip where the lid fits is ground down.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG0289.webp
    CIMG0289.webp
    20.6 KB · Views: 774
  • CIMG0290.webp
    CIMG0290.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 746
  • CIMG0291.webp
    CIMG0291.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 750
  • CIMG0292.webp
    CIMG0292.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 752
A few years ago..

..I inherited my parents' home in Orange County,Ca. They had once owned 80 acres of orange and avocado groves. They planted a fig tree next to the house long before I was born. The tree grew to immense proportions over the years. Winter came,all the leaves fell off the tree. I noticed something strange way up high in the branches. Using a tall ladder I climbed up and got it. It was one of these but in green glass http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1920s-vintage-blown-glass-insect-fly-catcher
 
great find! been awhile since I've seen one of those.
 
Thats interesting. Is that something that would have been bought or was that homemade?
 
Really neat find. :icon_thumright: Don't think I've seen a glass one before.
 
It looks cute, but how many minnows would you have to catch to get a meal :dontknow:
 
spartacus53 said:
It looks cute, but how many minnows would you have to catch to get a meal :dontknow:

They were used to catch minnows for bait. I see your from central NJ I am not to far from you
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom