What's new

Ye Olde Eagle new pics added

dandan

Full Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
196
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Found this recently at a colonial site. Copper, thin, pressed. Any takers?
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1168.webp
    DSCN1168.webp
    49.4 KB · Views: 820
  • DSCN1169.webp
    DSCN1169.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 815
Re: Ye Olde Eagle

If it were a Powder flask,what is the tab for then?I have never seen that on any flask

Kuger,

I can certainly understand your confusion and note where the similarity with a cloak clasp could be attributed, IF there was a clasp hook or "tab" on the back. However, there is nothing of the sort on the back. :) All we truly see on the back is the depressed design between the eagle's neck and wing, which is actually appearing raised when viewed from the reverse side. It's sort of an optical illusion, that plays tricks on the eyes no doubt. Take a second peek at the relic and let me know what you think. :wink:

Remember as well, that this entire piece has been cut and or broken around all the visible perimeter, therefore we are not seeing the original eagle device in it's full form.

CC Hunter
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ye Olde Eagle

Second pic,to the left of the dime :icon_scratch:I take your expert opinion though C.C,thanks for chiming in!!
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ye Olde Eagle

Montana Jim said:
kuger - I dont think that's a tab, just a little piece breaking off.


You and C.C. are very knowledgeable fellows,so I trust in your observations :thumbsup:,I sure wish the finder would chime in as to if it is or not,or a different angle of it(the mystery tab) :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ye Olde Eagle

Kuger,

If I'm seeing what I think maybe you are seeing as a "tab" or hook, that is in fact merely an optical illusion caused by the high relief detail in the eagle's wing and neck area. Note what is deeply depressed in the first photo, is the exact same high relief on the back view in the second photo.

Also included is a photo (both front and back) of an actual stamped brass cloak hook with an attached loop that I dug in a pre-Civil War camp. 8)

CC Hunter
 

Attachments

  • TN Eagle1.webp
    TN Eagle1.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 468
  • TN Eagle2.webp
    TN Eagle2.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 472
  • Cloak Clasp1.webp
    Cloak Clasp1.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 463
  • Cloak Clasp2.webp
    Cloak Clasp2.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0
Re: Ye Olde Eagle

YEP!AS I EXPECTED CC,YOU ARE SPOT ON!!!Good eye my friend :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ye Olde Eagle

the cloak hook guess sounds good--but I had originally thought it was some sort of hat pin or insignia
 
Upvote 0
Re: Ye Olde Eagle

Hey all! Wow! Some great responses to the post! I don't have any more pics of this piece right now but I will post some other views tomorrow a.m. (I'm not at home right now.) I will leave the I.D. to those who have more insight but I lean toward Shako or flask. When I hold it I just don't "feel" clasp. Thanks again to all.
 
Upvote 0
Hope this helps!
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1259.webp
    DSCN1259.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN1258.webp
    DSCN1258.webp
    26 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCN1260.webp
    DSCN1260.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCN1261.webp
    DSCN1261.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCN1262.webp
    DSCN1262.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 342
  • DSCN1263.webp
    DSCN1263.webp
    34.1 KB · Views: 340
  • DSCN1264.webp
    DSCN1264.webp
    39.9 KB · Views: 341
  • DSCN1265.webp
    DSCN1265.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
The new Pictures are Great, love the detail!! HH Chug
 
Upvote 0
Def. not a clasp.I dont think it from a flask either,if it is its a big one.I have dug the one pictured and it is a small pistol flask,and the feathers are totally different....not that one
 
Upvote 0
Cool find and great ID :hello2:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom