Yesterday I dug up history

Squatty

Aug 26, 2013
Gilmanton NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted something about this find in the coin section, But I am so thrilled about finding it, I had to share it some more. I found this in 10 inches of soil in the middle of a stand of pines. I believe it was a farmer's field 200 years ago. I was swinging away in the pouring rain, trying to stay in the trees for better rain protection. I got a light audible tone, that registered an 81 or 82 I think. The depth wasn't registering, nor was the top row of segments that estimate the size. I dug in (with my Predator Piranha) and this dark colored coin came out. I couldn't tell what it was at first because off all the patina, but it looked and felt like a coin. As a matter of fact the whole I dug moments before, I uttered, "Please let it be a large cent so I can go home!" Once I got home and dried out, I cleaned it off (gently!!) to see if I could ID it. A 1799 Draped Bust large cent.
P1030149_zps02bd1fc6.jpg , P1030147_zpsbedad24a.jpg

I am so stoked about this find! It was in a place where I would never expect to find a coin. But there she was! Tomorrow my Treasure-buddy and I are returning to this spot to sweep the area. Maybe lightening will strike twice.

Upvote 21

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice. Possibly at the former location of an old structure, or such? Go back and hunt the place to death.

arrowhead82

Dec 12, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
hopefully lightning wont strike you! lol
really nice finds!
HH

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Are you positive its a 1799? That's a rare date coin and would be a very sweet find. :thumbsup:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2014 Redbook..... 1799 LC.

001.JPG

Woodswoman

Aug 7, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw I I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have every right to be stoked. Wonderful job on that. Hopefully when you return and find more, it won't be raining :)

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...I think I would be going back to that spot again!

dfx-kevin

Mar 15, 2013
Southwest mississippi
Detector(s) used
whites dfx and Tesoro original silver saber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds seem to be few and far between for most of us,you deserve it; congratulations.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ! rare one indeed - I'd be going low and slow over that entire area - from every imaginable angle !

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
WAY so very COOL!!! If it was raining and the ground was wet that would affect your signal. So if you hunt soon and the ground is wet and you think you got it all, go back after its dry and see how it changes.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real sweet.Good luck when you go back.That could be the start of some nice finds in that area.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WAY so very COOL!!! If it was raining and the ground was wet that would affect your signal. So if you hunt soon and the ground is wet and you think you got it all, go back after its dry and see how it changes.

you find more when the ground is wet and you find more of them deeper targets!!!

Bayou Joe

Mar 20, 2013
Milton Florida
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Excalibur II Fisher CZ21, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold,
Garret, Vibra Pro,
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, plus some old Dinosaurs.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, go back and swing till your arm falls off. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread