What's new

Yesterdays finds including a cool 1700s British trade weight

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
4,715
Reaction score
6,220
Golden Thread
6
Location
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
6
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's finds including a cool 1700s British trade weight

With all the rain and flooding of the past few days a memory, my hunting partner Dan and I finally made it back out into the fields. Dan already provided the background on the hunt site, as well as our guest and new friend, so I'll get right to it. Although I was not able to put my coil over a coin, the finds were still fairly plentiful in spite of this site being pounded for the last 3 years. This probably had a lot to do with the recent peanut harvest which is one of the very few ways to get the soil turned over just a bit. This can be particularly helpful in iron patches as the slightest movement of the soil can rearrange how the targets are positioned, and help with the masking problem. I'd have to say my best find of the day was another 18th century bronze/brass British trade weight. This is the 4th one of these I've dug over the last few years, and I find them very unique and interesting. All of the marks on it are readable which I think I'm correctly summarizing below:

- the dagger/sword at the top signifies city of London authority for the weight
- the "A" represents the Averdepois system (16 oz to the pound)
- the ewer (looks like a coffee pot or urn) at the bottom is the mark of the Founders company which authorized the weight
- on the right is a crown over a "G" which is probably the mark for King George III

Another cool find I made was this thin brass ring with a stone, which is the 3rd ring I've recovered from this site. Hard to date but I expect is could go back to the late 1700s. It's fragile and I'm afraid if I try to bend it back into its original shape it'll break. I tried putting it in hot water for a while, but it still was risky so I left as is. A couple of interesting buttons also surfaced, and both had designs on the obverse and drilled eye shanks on the back. And lastly, what I thought was just a scrap piece of metal turned out to have a design of sorts. The pics don't do it justice, but it almost looks to me to be a bird resting at the bottom of the "V" which may be a branch. Other opinions welcomed. Anyway, hope we get one more chance to hit this site before the winter wheat is drilled, but that'll be any day so we might have to wait until next year. It would be a shame to not take advantage of the ideal hunting conditions present now, but it's beyond our control.
 

Attachments

  • 100515a.webp
    100515a.webp
    165.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 100515b.webp
    100515b.webp
    104.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 100515c.webp
    100515c.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 100515d.webp
    100515d.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 165
  • 100515e.webp
    100515e.webp
    77.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 100515f.webp
    100515f.webp
    75.8 KB · Views: 165
Upvote 36
A very nice day indeed Bill. That ring is absolutely gorgeous. I dream of finding a trade weight as awesome as that, but so far I've only found that mid-1800's one you helped me ID. Also that's a very nice selection of old buttons!

Steve
 
Congratz on a great hunt!
 
Nice colonial digs. Really like the weight.
 
Great weight and great hunt! You have a good site there! :icon_thumleft:
 
Excellent hunt Bill! :) starting the season with a bang with the trade weight!
 
That ring and weight are outstanding Bill. You must have have not put your coil over that weight before because, regardless of the soil, you would have heard that one.
 
Had fun as always man. I know you will get your coil over a big silver this year man! Onward to the next adventure and it is almost always an adventure!
 
HEY BILL WHAT A NICE BUNCH OF RELICS FROM THE 1700S . DANG IF I COULD FIND A SPOT AS SWEET AS THAT . THE TRADE WEIGHT IS AWESOME AND THE CAST PEWTER BUTTONS ALSO. NEEET FINDS ....
 
Good way to start!
Looks like you did alot of digging. That weight must of sounded just like my token I found yesterday. Lol
I know your saving your silver find for another LORD BALTIMORE. Wouldn't that be awsome. Glad to see you getting out.
 
Good to see the fields opening up for you Bill. I like your scale weight. Those old sites always have a little more to give. Believe me, I'm squeezing every last drop out of my old sites for lack of good new ones.
 
Bill D in the place to be,founder of the Cut Silver University...8-)Billy Boy those are some nice early finds man.
The weight is cool but that ring steals the show..I love those personal early finds...
That is a nice haul im sure some cut silver is coming out of the ground soon..

~Blaze~
 
Great post Bill and what an awesome group of finds. The patina on that weight is fantastic and the information about what the markings mean is really cool. The ring is pretty sweet. To straighten it without breaking it would probably require that you anneal it. I annealed and straightened a copper Victorian Brooch that was twisted into a ball. It got straight, but cooked off the green patina and its now shiny copper. Probably not a good idea for that ring. Ha

Looking forward to your next trip and post. Happy hunting man.
 
Off, and running.
Cool weight Bill, great you can see all the markings.
Does it have it'a actual weight on it as well ? It looks like these things were made to "stack up" or nest smaller ones inside ?
 
Love the trade weight Bill- very unique find. That octagonal cuff is an interesting one as well, any way to make out the design on the middle? Also any idea what the copper WW & Co relic is...I found a similar one earlier this year.
 
That trade weight is a very cool find
 
Love the trade weight Bill- very unique find. That octagonal cuff is an interesting one as well, any way to make out the design on the middle? Also any idea what the copper WW & Co relic is...I found a similar one earlier this year.

I've tried, but I can't make out the details on that button. The WW & Co item is a keyhole cover to a large lock, and is probably 19th century.
 
That's a sizeable trade weight! Bet that blew your ears off! Congrats on the cool ring, good buttons, and other recoveries!
 
Very cool trade weight!

Steve
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom