You dont want those halves - theyre clad...

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
You don't want those halves - they're clad...

Vacationing in Florida for a few days. Was incredibly cold and windy yesterday, so my dad and I decided to hit some banks. 18 of them. Didn't find a lot of halves, maybe $70 worth total, but did get a nice '63 Franklin. Also found '51 and '63 dimes out of maybe $150 searched. Other notable finds were a '43-S nickel out of $60 searched, and Swiss, Cuban, and Peruvian coins.

Today, same story; windy and cold to start out. We headed to a different part of town, again hitting 18 banks. One place had $210 in halves, but appear to be someone else's dumps. There weren't any coins more recent that 1992, but no silver either. Found a '68 half in a teller's tray, and ended the morning at a Well's Fargo on the way back. Went inside this place, asked for halves, and one of the tellers said "I've got a roll of halves, but you don't want it; they're all clad." This of course put a damper on my enthusiasm, but I walked over there anyway, asking how she knew they were clad. The said that a customer came in yesterday and deposited them. According to her, he said he collects silver, and had gone through them, and that he left only clad.

While she was relating this, I was studying her coin tray. I thought I saw something unusual there, so I told her I'd go ahead and take them anyway, as I collect error coins and rare dates (true). She was delighted to get rid of them, and pulled out the roll. I told her I'd take the halves in her tray too, and her face lit up. She started counting them out. One (clink), two (clink), three (ting!)... Sure enough, there was silver there, but she didn't realize it and I didn't let on. Of the $4.50 in her tray, 4 of halves were 40%. Of the roll, fully half were 40%'s!

:laughing7:

The moral of the story is, never assume the teller knows what she's talking about, and always, always buy them all!

DSC04826.JPG DSC04829.JPG DSC04830.JPG

HH!

Upvote 0

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
All clad huh, lol, Nice score there FT! I allways take them all too. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
And yes, it has been cold and windy here, lol, first cool weather in a while! Where's our winter dang it.

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BUY THEM ALL!!! Great job

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Florida is full of retirees, and many of these old-timers come from a not-so-long-ago era when 40%ers were not worth keeping. It is true that you often can't teach an old dog new tricks.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh cool, which part of FL? I have been finding some nice CWR and teller trays too.

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great lesson, and fantastic discipline on your part, FT! enjoy Florida, and happy hunting!

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
I find this ironic because last time i went to the bank to pick up 260$ in CWR Dimes the teller told me the same thing! i eventually found 2 silver dimes and im going to the same bank today to pick up the rest of the dimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread