Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry.
Archeologists ever get busy on the site they'll damage more than a two foot diameter.
And if there's graves it's a bonus!

d674c6f2947941bfaac83c6d935a95f7.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's going to cost $18,000 to refill a 2x15ft deep hole?
Pick me, pick me, I'll do it for $15,000.
Oh wait! Will I have to use a paint brush, and a 2 inch trowel to fill this like a Arcie would?

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the one hand, the guy is an idiot and should not have been digging there at all. But having said, the reaction seems a bit overblown. A 2-foot hole isn't going to disturb a whole lot of the area. And by their own account, he wasn't looking for the artifacts, so they're right there to be cataloged if they want. No, they don't know what layer of the dirt they came from, but check the sides (or dig the hole six inches wider) and they'd know.

And yeah, 18K to fill the hole in is just ridiculous. But then, it is government we're talking about -- where spending $100 on a $3 hammer is the norm.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
On the one hand, the guy is an idiot and should not have been digging there at all. But having said, the reaction seems a bit overblown. A 2-foot hole isn't going to disturb a whole lot of the area. And by their own account, he wasn't looking for the artifacts, so they're right there to be cataloged if they want. No, they don't know what layer of the dirt they came from, but check the sides (or dig the hole six inches wider) and they'd know.

And yeah, 18K to fill the hole in is just ridiculous. But then, it is government we're talking about -- where spending $100 on a $3 hammer is the norm.
It only makes sense, last dirt out first to go back.
It would be dating the rubbish pile backwards, wonder if the paint brushes know how to do it in reverse.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's going to cost $18,000 to refill a 2x15ft deep hole?
Pick me, pick me, I'll do it for $15,000.
Oh wait! Will I have to use a paint brush, and a 2 inch trowel to fill this like a Arcie would?
I will fill it for 14 and include old trash "in context".

:P

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The US Army Corps of Engineers has destroyed hundreds of sites near our lake they made (Lake Shelbyville) by not only flooding sites by building the lake but also by the constant raising and lowering of the water levels. I’ve seen burials washing out many times. So no big deal if the gov does it. The officials crying in Utah are making a mtn out of a mole hill.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I thought this was interesting:
"the dig fell directly underneath a petroglyph. He believes that the suspect may have mistaken the ancient drawing for a map or sign to fortune."

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I thought this was interesting:
"the dig fell directly underneath a petroglyph. He believes that the suspect may have mistaken the ancient drawing for a map or sign to fortune."
I agree I read that also and thought "At least there was a petroglyph-not just a rock as we see posted up numerous times"

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading the responses to this terrible event, I feel I must come clean to my previous detecting transgressions and must beg for everyone's forgiveness...

In 1990. I relocated to a suburb of Chicago and was heavily into detecting and antiquing. One particular day, my wife and I visited an antique shop and I headed for the book section. Sometimes I would find things hidden in the book bindings.

I picked out this old book from the shelf and inside the binding, I located a map. The map highlighted a location where something was buried. I did my homework and zeroed in on a location near a busy highway.

It was obvious that I better not dig during daylight hours, so I kept rather busy at night. I was determined there had to be something there, so I kept at it. Luckily, nobody ever realized that I had been digging.

dig site 1.png

I had to finally give up on locating the treasure when some school kids complained to the city that every time they hit a homerun to right field, the baseball would disappear!

dig site 2.png

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to finally give up on locating the treasure when some school kids complained to the city that every time they hit a homerun to right field, the baseball would disappear!

"And I would have gotten away with it, too, if not for those meddling kids!"

Scooby-Doo.png

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Those days are long gone. It’s $300 for a $2 hammer!🤣

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread