You know it’s happened to you

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
The other day I was in a creek and I saw a shape of a Pickwick in the water. Some wind so there was the ripple effect going on. I looked at it and thought to myself it must be covered with algae. So I reached in and grabbed it thinking it’s been a long time since I have found a big one like this. Well it was a Dangit but it’s in the top 10 of fakers.
The 1st pic is what I saw in the water the 2nd pic is what I saw when I flipped it over. It was a good laugh.

Attachments

• IMG_3705.jpeg
    IMG_3705.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_3704.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 11
OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
It happens to all us I believe - I was walking in the river years ago and saw a small clay trade pipe. It looked great until I picked it up only to discover that it was actually a rubber sparkplug cover off a lawnmower.
😂

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt along the local river for points. I have competition from others hunting the same areas. One friend in particular that hunts the river too. I was walking the river and spotted a styrofoam cup. Ah ha! I pulled out my Swiss Army knife and opened the scissors. I cut a nice little dovetail out of styrofoam and left it. A while later I found another and cut another point. White flint is common here and I got my friend with both of them! He called me and gave me hell. He said he knew right away it was me.🤣

OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I hunt along the local river for points. I have competition from others hunting the same areas. One friend in particular that hunts the river too. I was walking the river and spotted a styrofoam cup. Ah ha! I pulled out my Swiss Army knife and opened the scissors. I cut a nice little dovetail out of styrofoam and left it. A while later I found another and cut another point. White flint is common here and I got my friend with both of them! He called me and gave me hell. He said he knew right away it was me.🤣
I’m sure you find net weights? Do you keep them cause I don’t. They are nothing but flat rocks with a notch on each side. They don’t show any other signs of work. I found one today but didn’t keep it. If you have some I’d like to see what yours looks like

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah walkin along the other day and spotted what I thought was paleo work, nope just a rock. Posted it in the geofacts forum. It did look good at first sight.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of folks do that and will argue they found a genuine artifact. Took my wife looking one time. She'd say hay look at this. Just a pointy looking rock I'd tell her. She said so everything you find is awesome, but everything I find is crap. I didn't wanna go there and just said we're probably better doing other stuff together instead of this. Like disneyland, we both enjoy doing that together. Her more than me, but that place does fill up your day if anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread