You know what sucks?

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Getting run out of a site just as it's getting good by a cloud of mosquitoes. You know what sucks worse than that? Losing your recovery pouch after getting chased off by mosquitoes.
Granted all I found was a tracer bullet and a 1960s penny BUT the unexpected dumping site I found may hold some interesting treats. I'll have to go back covered head to toe, even if there's no metal relics worth finding there might just be some cool old bottles so not a total bust, just mostly a bust🤣

I got one of these and it works great.
Was detecting 2 weekends ago and the cloud of mosquitoes was thick.
No problem 😊
Works good for ticks as well.
Screenshot_20240606_053744_Chrome.jpg

I've wished before that mosquito just go the way of extinction. I see nothing in their contribution in the natural order of things. I do recall though being a little kid on a picnic and asking my mother why God created them. She just said, maybe God created them to remind you that there are days to appreciate when no mosquitoes around.

The Florida State Bird is the Mosquito.

Our State Flower is the Sand Spur.
So far Colorado hasn't tried to take that claim I'm aware of. So many other states do. Really who does have the official right to claim we have more pesky mosquitos than any other state in the nation

Attachments

• Scan 1206.jpg
    Scan 1206.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 62aa41f780ab5b4c5edb6660070f37f3-800.jpg
    62aa41f780ab5b4c5edb6660070f37f3-800.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 1-I_llBeWithYouWhenTheHoneysuckleBloomsAgain-Mosquito-Postcard_c.1900s_2048x.jpg
    1-I_llBeWithYouWhenTheHoneysuckleBloomsAgain-Mosquito-Postcard_c.1900s_2048x.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 9

My good friend coyote peterson....he said this was real bad and not the smartest of ideas.

Kind of a stupid idea-like really what was he thinking it wouldn't hurt. :laughing7:

I ended up in hospital (preschool age) for a few days from Black Hornet stings. They had to keep my airways open (I don't remember those details as I was sedated)

Though I have found when a wasp is flying around just clammily wave the hand to shoo it away.
Aggression meets aggression-swat at it and it will sting back.

Folks first reaction is to flapping their arms, swinging in every direction.
If they acted like it was a butterfly, be calm and gentle waving, the wasp just flies away.

Florida... hands down.
I would agree. The tiny little black ones that can swarm in a cloud that reduces the rays of the sun. When I worked in Alachua the boss an Argentinan lived in Miami and had a boat. He was telling me about being out on that boat of his and was attacked by a black cloud of mosquitoes and was bit so much he became ill. He was a caricature and a real SOB. We were having dinner at a Steak & Ale and he began to dislike the service and started threatening the staff and said will start throwing his dinnerware and punch the manager in the nose. I had to calm him down. He had this sidekick IT lady he brought up from Brazil. Very arrogant duo they were. I labeled them as Boris & Natasha.

You know what sucks worse than a cloud of mosquito's ? ? ?

A cloud of yellow jackets. heh
I actually very nearly ran afoul of those as well. The old gauging station I was near apparently had a nest of hornets take over the interior. I was gonna go inside and take a close look there too but I was immediately tipped off by all the buzzing. I moved away from there quick

Last edited:
Was detecting 2 weekends ago and the cloud of mosquitoes was thick.
No problem 😊
Works good for ticks as well.
View attachment 2152714
Yeah, actually I have a long, black denim trench coat that hangs almost to the ground with a high collar. I've been known to wear it with a hood and gloves as an anti-mosquito suit, it works great but I look like a ghost especially in the dying light down by the river. We have some spooky old folk tales about the river here so actually looking like some eerie phantom drifting about amid the trees will help to reduce curious onlookers, until they notice the metal detector in my hand but it's fun anyway.

I would agree. The tiny little black ones that can swarm in a cloud that reduces the rays of the sun. When I worked in Alachua the boss an Argentinan lived in Miami and had a boat. He was telling me about being out on that boat of his and was attacked by a black cloud of mosquitoes and was bit so much he became ill. He was a caricature and a real SOB. We were having dinner at a Steak & Ale and he began to dislike the service and started threatening the staff and said will start throwing his dinnerware and punch the manager in the nose. I had to calm him down. He had this sidekick IT lady he brought up from Brazil. Very arrogant duo they were. I labeled them as Boris & Natasha.
I got bit a handful of times, luckily my histamine reaction wasn't particularly bad, the bites only itched for a bit but they were showing up to the party in increasing numbers so I had to go. Right as I came up on that dump site too, I was able to at least get a probable date range based on what of the trash I dug up but those mosquitoes were guarding it I swear.

Aren't they hot in this weather? With the combination of baseball cap, headphones, and glasses, it's enough of a challenge just keeping sweat out of my eyes.

IIRC, skeeters are drawn to sweat (among other things, like the color blue).

Aren't they hot in this weather? With the combination of baseball cap, headphones, and glasses, it's enough of a challenge just keeping sweat out of my eyes.

Around here, this time of year, the heat is such that going outside even naked is gonna be hot and sweaty lol, it's a desert. That's why we hang out in the mountains this time of year, the lowlands are hot and miserable and the river is mosquito alley. It's unfortunate because the river is where the local farmers tended to chuck all their trash, there's a few spots like that in the mountains here but digging them risks ecological damage. the meadows and gullies where folks used to dump trash are full of moles and ground squirrels, if you dig in those places you can seriously disrupt things so I don't do it, the early 1900s aren't worth the potential habitat destruction. Summer time in this state is not the ideal time to be out relic hunting, the weather conditions are insufferable in many cases in all the best areas, the fall and winter are honestly better for such, ground is often wetter as well

All depends on one's tolerance for heat.
I hunt usually in the bush areas when the fields are planted. So no direct sun.
Though yesterday I wore it with a long sleeve shirt and pants for 10 hrs in the full sun working in the big garden.
Felt like 104F with the humidex.
I don't carry any fat so maybe the body can tolerate it better.
Deer/horse flies are biting now.
Plus the mosquitoes and the ticks on top of that.
So a little protective layer helps the sanity.

All depends on one's tolerance for heat.
Unfortunately, not what it used to be. 😓
I'll take that as a "Yes", they're hot. 🥵

I don't carry any fat so maybe the body can tolerate it better.
I'm carrying 100 lbs. less than I did a couple years ago, but I still don't tolerate either extreme very well. I'm OK with that; I knew it going in. I haven't run into any serious bugs yet, but I know they're out there waiting for me... 😱

The way things are going, one permission a year may be all I can handle.

The biggest attractant is carbon dioxide. There's not much way around emitting that -- you gotta breathe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back