Your favorite treasure books post them

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I like yours also. A lot of reading and dreaming in the winter months.(research)
I wait for good deals and try not to pay too much. I'm not a collector so the condition doesn't matter to me as long as I can read them. To be honest, many came from my dad.
I also have a large collection of old treasure magazines and a lot of old maps.

desertson

Greenie
Dec 27, 2016
San Diego North County
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro to help alleviate my life long gold fever. No luck
XTera 705 w Big ass coil tuned just for rings in the dry.
Whites Surf PI Dual Field for the wet, and going swimming.
Rods for Sewer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Post With Photos, Shoot me now

IMG_3121.jpg

As I attempted and failed at taking photos of some of my favorites from the book shelf, all of a sudden I had 20 or so piled on the couch that the wife wanted gone before it was to late. To late will be reading all night now. :)

I realized though, as much as I love all these; lost treasure books, treasure stories, geology text books, mining this and mining that. What I really love is my small collection of original family history's, stories of those that settled this country, or came west, or assisted in the mapping of Brazil, before even getting to America in the first place. My attempts at photos from these was a complete failure, so will get some help from my kids later to upload some shots, but I think a quote from my Mom that she used as a forward for a reprint of one of my Grandfathers books says it all for me.

Dad was a newspaper man; he knew how to interview, do research, and how to write. And he got paid for doing so​

I remember him going out to interview the "old folks" the pioneers who

still lived in our County, and then sitting at his roll top desk in the

corner of our dining room, writing up the interviews on his old

Remington typewriter. Among my fondest memories are those of him

at that desk doing what he loved - writing. I am not sure on the time

line here. These articles were published during the early 1950's in the

Madison Daily Leader. I believe they were written much earlier, during
the 1930's​

Attachments

• IMG_3124.JPG
    IMG_3124.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a collection for the wild west !! Very cool desertson. Ghost town atlas wow...that one I want bad. Drywashing for gold too. Man this thread went farther than I ever thought it would. Just when you think there cant be any more books that are treasure related somone comes up with more. Great work.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Jesse Ed Rascoe [Ed Bartholomew] The Golden Crescent; The Southwest Treasure Belt
(Toyahvale, Texas: 1962)
---
A scarce pamphlet on lost mines and lost treasures of the American Southwest. “Jesse Rascoe” (Ed Bartholomew) was well known for his meticulous research. He spent decades in the archives of early day newspapers, painstakingly taking down original accounts of outlaw plants, train robbers’ loot, bank robbers’ caches, and lost mines.

Here are countless stories of lost treasure in Texas (a paymaster’s cache, Comanchero Loot, much on Jim Bowie and the Lost San Saba Mines), New Mexico (the Padre Larue Mine, the Lost Adams Diggings: “Probably the most elusive and the most interesting of the lost mines of the Southwest”), Arizona (old Spanish Mines, and Rich Cities of the Dead, the Scalphunters), and California and Old Mexico.

Golden Crescent Jan 2014.jpg Rascoe Golden Crescent Jan 2014.jpg
There is also a plain tan cover edition. The contents are identical.

During “The Golden Age” of treasure hunting literature, many authors were content to simply “research” their books and magazine articles by borrowing from the works of others. Often they were not too particular from whom they took.
Ed got very tired of this and finally published an article on the “Nelots” treasure. In due course Thomas Penfield published his version of this tale – remarkably similar to Ed’s.

Then Ed pointed out that Nelots spelt backwards is “Stolen!”

Karl von Mueller noted (The Journals of El Dorado (1977)): “An excellent compilation of potential treasure sites…The author drew heavily from old newspaper accounts, military records, the Spanish archives, etc. to make this one of the most worthwhile treasure books ever published.”

He is, no doubt, correct. This is one of the 10 absolutely essential books on lost mines and buried treasures.
Pages 6 (first text page) through 84 were reprinted by the author as Texas Buried Treasures (Fort Davis, Texas: 1972) and pages 91 through 156 were reprinted by the author as Southwest Treasures (Ft. Davis, Texas: 1976).

There are three different covers - the two shown and a plain tan one.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Louisiana reference...

I live in Louisiana and this is my go-to book for starting site investigations. Over 450 pages of information on over 800 historic Louisiana forts, camps, etc. Site descriptions with location descriptions and many have township coordinates. Great appendix with many old reference maps, drawings and photos.

2016-12-31 08.52.52.jpg

2016-12-31 08.54.22.jpg

2016-12-31 08.53.44.jpg

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome book Clay Slayer. It's not everyone that can find such an informative book pertaining to their location like you have. That's money in the bank.

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's an awesome book Clay Slayer. It's not everyone that can find such an informative book pertaining to their location like you have. That's money in the bank.

Yep, it is an awesome book for our hobby and not too easy to find. On a few occasions in the past couple of years I've loaned it out to other Tnet members in Louisiana so they could look through it and make copies of what interested them. It sits on a bookshelf most of the time and I'd like to see someone get use from it. So...if there are any Louisiana members interested, let me know and I'll drop it in the mail as a loan for a couple of weeks. All I ask is that no one marks in it and returns it in original condition.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very nice piece of material clay slayer.!! Definitely a must have for the guys in Louisiana. Great of you to make an offer such as you did. It is a very generous offer. Someone will want to see that book im sure. Nice post thanks.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-321.JPG
photo-320.JPG
photo-319.JPG
This one is about the island of saint johns in the virgin islands. Helped me track down places to hunt for bottles. When I return next ill use it for metal detecting . another great historical reference book.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
When I was working in St. Thomas, we took the tour cat over to St. Johns and spent a wonderful afternoon at Christmas Cove. White sand beach like sugar and water clear as white rum!

Cigarettes were twenty-five cents a pack, rum a buck or so a bottle, and the soda machine at the end of the sub base dock in town sold Schaefer beer for thirty-five cents a can. I still wear the Rolex Submariner (the James Bond model, of course!) I bought in Charlotte Amalie for a couple of hundred dollars.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa.........dude.......just tried to get my hands on a copy of L frank hudsons florida ship wreck treasures. WTF amazon wants $2797.00 for a paperback. Wow it should come with a genuine gold esquido for that price. Not today..... ill find one somewhere else.

Well now I see one for 5.99$ who knows. Any clue old bookaroo as to whats going on with these price differences.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Blak bart: What's going on? Easy - there are insane prices on Amazon. Why? I don't know. I've read various theories and none, quite frankly, make any sense.

But - just for one - try contacting any of those dealers who offer books at insane prices and offer the book at half of what they've priced it at. Let me know when you get your first bite...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa.........dude.......just tried to get my hands on a copy of L frank hudsons florida ship wreck treasures. WTF amazon wants $2797.00 for a paperback. Wow it should come with a genuine gold esquido for that price. Not today..... ill find one somewhere else.

Well now I see one for 5.99$ who knows. Any clue old bookaroo as to whats going on with these price differences.

Abe Books is a great site for finding older reference & rare books. They are probably not the cheapest, but they have a great reputation and I've dealt with them for years.

Example - here's a search for L Frank Hudson that returned 16 hits...the prices do go up significantly as the book condition does, but I've bought "Used -Good" condition books before and they were perfectly good for my use. You can probably find main-stream books cheaper at other places, but for hard-to-find books I always go to Abe Books first. Just an option...

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=L+Frank+Hudson&tn=&kn=&isbn=

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so long as their readable and intact ---usible to garner info from --that's what I look for in a book -- that can save lots of $$$$

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Frank Hudson books can get quite costly ....

but honestly any rare type info (old books . maps or research papers) that can lead to a vast amount of treasure -- is often well worth the sometimes steep prices that they fetch ...knowledge is often the key to unlocking lost treasures whereabouts

Last edited:
OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one in the boats library
photo-308.JPG
Never saw it on the shelf before but a definate for this thread.
Chronicles the flying gang and there influence on world affairs. The flying gang was a group of pirates that included blackbeard, vain, Bellamy, Jennings and others that all new or served with each other before taking there own commands. Gonna start this one right now.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this one in the boats library
View attachment 1400268
Never saw it on the shelf before but a definate for this thread.
Chronicles the flying gang and there influence on world affairs. The flying gang was a group of pirates that included blackbeard, vain, Bellamy, Jennings and others that all new or served with each other before taking there own commands. Gonna start this one right now.

That's a great book! I never realized just how inter-twined the lives of so many pirate really were.

OP
OP
Blak bart

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya it blows your mind when you realize that alot of the greats in the golden age of piracy all new each other or served together or drank with each other. Seems like Jennings and hornigold had a lot of the well known pirates serve under them as mates and deckhands. Those 2 must have been great teachers. Last of the bucaneers I guess.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
One major reason so many knew each other was the time period of "The Golden Age of Piracy" (not so "golden," for their prey, of course, but that's another issue) was just a few years.

Jennings, as I recall, was one of the pirates who salvaged coins from the 1715 plate wrecks. Remember Cap'n Flint in Treasure Island? She was there - "Pieces of eight! Pieces of eight!"

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Blak bart:

I was in a little hole-in-the-wall bookstore yesterday and I saw a beat-up of that Ghost Town Atlas (and another one in the series) and thought I'd pick them up for you. Then I looked at prices and said "No, thanks!" Wow! I have no problem paying a fair price but this gentlemen's prices were just silly.

I'll keep looking...

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread