What's new

Zinc plated iron

White Heart

Full Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2017
Messages
167
Reaction score
539
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this odd piece of iron 12" deep with my Equinox a couple of months ago. It rang-up as non-ferrous and appears to have been zinc plated. One edge is much thinner than the other edge.
I am unable to figure out what it is or what it was from. Does anyone have an idea?
 

Attachments

  • Metal squiggle-cleaned.webp
    Metal squiggle-cleaned.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 101
  • Metal squiggle profile-cleaned.webp
    Metal squiggle profile-cleaned.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 94
looks like the things they drive in the end of railroad ties to prevent splitting.
 
Upvote 0
Ditto looks like a giant corrugated fastener, called a simple rail anchor used on the base of a rail.

fig7-2.gif
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rail anchors are a lot heavier. this would have been driven into the end of a cross tie to keep it from splitting.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks firemanphob, that make sense to me. I have never seen one in a tie although I understand how it would work. It has the same taper as tool-head wedges. I don't believe this one was ever hammered on.
There was a WPA era highway/bridge yard on the property and a RR line in use from 1880 until the present 1 mile away.
More research to do, thanks again.
WH
 
Upvote 0
Looks like part of a ornamental design on a chain link gate.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom