$1,000,000 Silver certificate - is it real???

jean9

Dec 2, 2005
To all the experts out there...

Yesterday an acquaintant came to our house with two other people from the province and showed us an old silver certificate. BTW... I'm from the Philippines.

It looked old, had the blue numbers on it and had all the requirements for a real silver certificate. The certificate was issued in 1928.

The only thing that disturbes me about it is that when I looked it up on the internet, I couldn't find any silver certificates worth a million dollars! (Only play money silver certificates with the liberty on it.) Anyway, the one the people brought to us had the picture of Pres. Franklin on it.

Here is the definition of a silver certificate:

Seal and Serial Number Color

The seal and serial number on many of the first silver certificates issued was red or brown. It was not until Series 1899 for the $1, $2, and $5 denominations that the seal and number colors were officially, and permanently, changed to blue. (This occurred at different points for denominations above $5.)

Obligation

The obligtion of a note states how much of a specific commodity the government of a country will "pay to the bearer." On most large-size silver certificates, the obligation reads: "This certifies that there have/has been deposited in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) silver dollar(s) payable to the bearer on demand." On small-sized silver certificates beginning with Series 1934, in order to denote current location of deposit, it was changed to read: "This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) dollar(s) in silver payable to the bearer on demand."

http://www.answers.com/topic/silver-certificate

Now... I ask you experts.... is it real? Is it still of value? If it is, how much?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
E

ester

hello everybody... I'm new here :) I would like to know if there was a 1M dollar series 1923 silver certificate featuring the portrait of Pres. Franklin. I got a xerox copy of it that i want to know about. thanks :)

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
ester said:
hello everybody... I'm new here :) I would like to know if there was a 1M dollar series 1923 silver certificate featuring the portrait of Pres. Franklin. I got a xerox copy of it that i want to know about. thanks :)

umm...
Pres Franklin ???

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
hello everybody... I'm new here I would like to know if there was a 1M dollar series 1923 silver certificate featuring the portrait of Pres. Franklin. I got a xerox copy of it that i want to know about. thanks

umm...
Pres Franklin

And....Franklin was never a president! Monty

Don't have to be President to be on a bill-
Neither was my GG?Great grandad, and he's on the 10,000 bill!

Upvote 0

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Jeffro...Chase your gggrandfather? Cool! paper $$$ unconstitutioal!?.....

Salmon P. Chase is one of only three non-presidents to be commemorated on cash money. The other two are Alexander Hamilton ($10) and Ben Franklin ($100). Your original guess for the $10,000 bill, Woodrow Wilson, actually appeared on the $100,000 bill, which was in production for a scant couple of weeks at the end of 1934.

And, finally, we cut to Chase: A link from the Treasury's currency page told us everything we wanted to know and more about the enigmatic Salmon P. As it turns out, he was the 25th Secretary of the Treasury, serving under Lincoln. Due to a monetary crisis brought on by the Civil War, he reluctantly implemented the first printing of paper money in the United States.

In fact, Chase's portrait appeared on the original $1 bill, thus earning him the nickname "Old Mr. Greenbacks." The name didn't stick, however, due to the fact that after the war, Chase, then Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, declared paper currency to be unconstitutional.

Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I had my picture taken with 100 of those bills, lol! Real one's too...at Binion's in Vegas.

I couldn't remember if it was Salmon or Samuel I'm related to, all I know.... it's the guy on the bill. He sounds pretty cool though, from the quote, lol!

Upvote 0
E

ester

wait...wait its not franklin but a signature of frank white something, its really blurred and seems he was the Treasurer of the United States written on the right portion of the note and a certain Speelman (blurred) on the left...............

Upvote 0

WWDD

Nov 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1m.PNG 1m-1.PNG

Hello!

Is this real?Speelman frank white. 1928.

Thank you!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George is on the $1.00 Bill
That may be a joke bill Or a Intentional Counterfeit.

although I have a hunch , Like the $100,000.00 bills being found in the Philippines
by the boxes full,
they may have been printed by the Bureau of Engraving and Printing,
as a CIA Cold war tactic of some type. (Fake payments
to buy the Yamash_ita Treasure :dontknow: )
but for all intents & purposes no they are
considered Illegal counterfeits, even though no real one Million dollar bills were ever officially Printed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shyshys

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all, and yes im new to this but i guess thats why this one cought my eye,ive seen it in a old paper money book on pricing that they did make them, "but" they only made so many. ill give you a clue as to how many they made its the amount of "fingers" you have on one hand...did you guess correctly??? it's 4!!! they only made four of them, and the amount it read for them was alittle over the 1mill price only because of how many were made.... either way i wish i had one of them...lol any how nice to meet everyone and i enjoy this site alot.

well your in luck I do have one ..a 1923 George Washington silver certificate one million dollar bill A00001698A BLUE INK heres my phone number if you like to talk to me 909-229-9314

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
YES FAKE, SORRY, WHEN I WAS LIVING THERE IN CEBU, HAD A GUY TRY AND SELL ME US,SILVER DOLLARS, FOR 40 CENTS EACH, OR 20 PESOS TOLD ME THE MONEY CHANGER ONLY TOOK BILLS, WELL HE PICKED THE WRONG AMERICAN , THEY FELT GOOD IN WEIGHT, BUT LOOKED MORE GREY THEN SILVER, LOL. AND HE WOULD NOT LET ME SCRACH THEM WITH A KNIFE TO TEST THEM. AND WHY WOULD SOMEONE SELL SILVER AT 40CENT AN OZ. LOL. BUT IM SURE HE GOT SOME AMERICANS WITH THEM, I MUST SAY I WAS GOING TO BUY ONE AS A JOKE, BUT THEN THOUGHT IF I GET CHECK AT CUSTOM WITH A FAKE US COIN IM IN TROUBLE.

I posted here some time ago. An acquaintance in my little Mexican village wanted help figuring out how much the silver dollars he inherited from his father were worth. I asked here for advice.

In the end, it was Bugs Bunny who solved the problem for me. Our refrigerator Bugs Bunny magnet. Everyone of those silver dollars clung to the magnet which means they were bogus. End of discussion, etcetera.

Upvote 0

shyshys

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a million dollar bill 1923 silver certificate with george washington on it

:briefcase::briefcase::briefcase:

Yesterday an acquaintant came to our house with two other people from the province and showed us an old silver certificate. BTW... I'm from the Philippines.

It looked old, had the blue numbers on it and had all the requirements for a real silver certificate. The certificate was issued in 1928.

The only thing that disturbes me about it is that when I looked it up on the internet, I couldn't find any silver certificates worth a million dollars! (Only play money silver certificates with the liberty on it.) Anyway, the one the people brought to us had the picture of Pres. Franklin on it.

The seal and serial number on many of the first silver certificates issued was red or brown. It was not until Series 1899 for the $1, $2, and $5 denominations that the seal and number colors were officially, and permanently, changed to blue. (This occurred at different points for denominations above $5.)

Obligation

The obligtion of a note states how much of a specific commodity the government of a country will "pay to the bearer." On most large-size silver certificates, the obligation reads: "This certifies that there have/has been deposited in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) silver dollar(s) payable to the bearer on demand." On small-sized silver certificates beginning with Series 1934, in order to denote current location of deposit, it was changed to read: "This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) dollar(s) in silver payable to the bearer on demand."

silver certificate: Definition from Answers.com

Now... I ask you experts.... is it real? Is it still of value? If it is, how much?

Upvote 0

shyshys

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im the guy that has the million dollar bill with George Washington on it ..its a 1923 blue ink larage bill silver certificate million dollar bill..its really identical to the 1923 silver certificate one dollar bills front and back..serial numbers are A00001698A with frank white treasurer

Upvote 0

shyshys

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a million dollar bill 1923 silver certificate with george washington on it

not franklin its 1923 serial numberA00001698A

Obligation

silver certificate: Definition from Answers.com

Upvote 0

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just fill out a deposit slip and take it to your local bank for deposit. You will find out real fast if it is real or not.

Upvote 0

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Or you'll end up like this guy:

$1 Million Bill: Michael Fuller Allegedly Tried To Pass Off A $1 Million Bill At NC Walmart

First Posted: 01/01/12 08:26 PM ET Updated: 01/03/12 03:45 PM ET

s-MILLION-large.jpg

Associated Press
LEXINGTON, N.C. -- Do you have change for a million-dollar bill?
Police say a North Carolina man insisted his million-dollar note was real when he was buying $476 worth of items at a Walmart.
Investigators told the Winston-Salem Journal that 53-year-old Michael Fuller tried to buy a vacuum cleaner, a microwave oven and other items. Store employees called police after his insistence that the bill was legit, and Fuller was arrested.
The largest bill in circulation is $100. The government stopped making bills of up to $10,000 in 1969.
Fuller was charged with attempting to obtain property by false pretense and uttering a forged instrument. He is in jail on a $17,500 bond, and it isn't clear if he has an attorney. He is scheduled to be in court Tuesday.

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im the guy that has the million dollar bill with George Washington on it ..its a 1923 blue ink larage bill silver certificate million dollar bill..its really identical to the 1923 silver certificate one dollar bills front and back..serial numbers are A00001698A with frank white treasurer

Cool!..Its still fake.....And where is the picture of your magical bill you keep talking about?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread