$1,000,000 Silver certificate - is it real???

jean9

Dec 2, 2005
To all the experts out there...

Yesterday an acquaintant came to our house with two other people from the province and showed us an old silver certificate. BTW... I'm from the Philippines.

It looked old, had the blue numbers on it and had all the requirements for a real silver certificate. The certificate was issued in 1928.

The only thing that disturbes me about it is that when I looked it up on the internet, I couldn't find any silver certificates worth a million dollars! (Only play money silver certificates with the liberty on it.) Anyway, the one the people brought to us had the picture of Pres. Franklin on it.

Here is the definition of a silver certificate:

Seal and Serial Number Color

The seal and serial number on many of the first silver certificates issued was red or brown. It was not until Series 1899 for the $1, $2, and $5 denominations that the seal and number colors were officially, and permanently, changed to blue. (This occurred at different points for denominations above $5.)

Obligation

The obligtion of a note states how much of a specific commodity the government of a country will "pay to the bearer." On most large-size silver certificates, the obligation reads: "This certifies that there have/has been deposited in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) silver dollar(s) payable to the bearer on demand." On small-sized silver certificates beginning with Series 1934, in order to denote current location of deposit, it was changed to read: "This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) dollar(s) in silver payable to the bearer on demand."

http://www.answers.com/topic/silver-certificate

Now... I ask you experts.... is it real? Is it still of value? If it is, how much?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
DeadHorse160908_450x257.jpg

Upvote 0

sliverofsilver

Apr 23, 2011
howell , nj
Detector(s) used
eyes, whites classic SL ,Bounty Hunter Tracker I-D/505 ,
Discovery 1100, eyes,hatchet,shovel,scoop,for now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the other red flag to me would be the serial #, it is A00000619A
if there were only 4,the numbers wouldn't hit 619 would they?
just my 2 bits
i say fake also

Upvote 0

CORBAN

Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES, THEY WERE USED BEFORE THE "BANKING

To all the experts out there...

Yesterday an acquaintant came to our house with two other people from the province and showed us an old silver certificate. BTW... I'm from the Philippines.

It looked old, had the blue numbers on it and had all the requirements for a real silver certificate. The certificate was issued in 1928.

The only thing that disturbes me about it is that when I looked it up on the internet, I couldn't find any silver certificates worth a million dollars! (Only play money silver certificates with the liberty on it.) Anyway, the one the people brought to us had the picture of Pres. Franklin on it.

Here is the definition of a silver certificate:

Seal and Serial Number Color

The seal and serial number on many of the first silver certificates issued was red or brown. It was not until Series 1899 for the $1, $2, and $5 denominations that the seal and number colors were officially, and permanently, changed to blue. (This occurred at different points for denominations above $5.)

Obligation

The obligtion of a note states how much of a specific commodity the government of a country will "pay to the bearer." On most large-size silver certificates, the obligation reads: "This certifies that there have/has been deposited in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) silver dollar(s) payable to the bearer on demand." On small-sized silver certificates beginning with Series 1934, in order to denote current location of deposit, it was changed to read: "This certifies that there is on deposit in the Treasury of the United States of America (number) dollar(s) in silver payable to the bearer on demand."

silver certificate: Definition from Answers.com

Now... I ask you experts.... is it real? Is it still of value? If it is, how much?

YES, THEY WERE USED BEFORE THE "BANKING SWIFTS STARTED"

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nine years later and this thread keeps popping up! Some people never give up hope, I guess.

Upvote 0

MiNena77

Apr 3, 2019
Miami
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nine years later and this thread keeps popping up! Some people never give up hope, I guess.

I for one am thankful for the existence of this forum (and thread). Here I am 15 years after the original thread started .. it helped me identify the "certificates" I found as fake. I recently purchased a piece of antique furniture at an estate sale & when I was cleaning it I found two $1m silver certificates from 1928 inside. They looked fake on their face but did some digging online to confirm.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I for one am thankful for the existence of this forum (and thread). Here I am 15 years after the original thread started....
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard!

t_o.gif
2nd - Some threads are timeless! Thanks for letting us know it helped another member.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread