Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings TNet friends!

It's been Vegas-hot the last few days here in NY, so I've been waiting for the evenings to get out and hunt a smidge. I figured I might get in a solid hour tonight, so I thought what the heck. I headed down to the old park I've been hunting, where I recently found a 1738 1 Reale and a bunch of nice old coppers. Not a bad place to kill an hour.... :wink:

So I spent about 50 of those minutes sweatin' like O.J., but I was fine with that. I'd already dug a nice old zouave-style button and some kind of brass whatzit, when I get this surprisingly strong, steady 83-85 signal, 6 inches down. Now, at this place, when you get a signal like that, your heart starts pounding. So I carefully cut my plug (sacrificing an anthill in the process -- sorry folks) and out comes this thick, fairly crusty LC. A quick wipe of the loose dirt gave me enough of a silhouette that I knew it was a Liberty Cap, so I happily pocketed that baby and called it a night. :wink:

And so, after my usual light cleaning with some hot peroxide, I ended up with a fairly pitted and worn coin, but luckily I can make out a date. I was pretty psyched to see it was a 1795 Liberty Cap LC. This was my first pre-1800 large copper, and my second 1700s coin from the last three hunts! I really can't ask for a better late-spring/early summer.

Enjoy the pics!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• LC 1795 Front2.JPG
    LC 1795 Front2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • LC 1795 Front1.JPG
    LC 1795 Front1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,167
  • LC 1795 Back.JPG
    LC 1795 Back.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,163
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slipperyjack47 said:
I think I have a nice patina on me as I am green with envy! Thats an awesome find! I would love to be able to find some 1700's coins as its pretty tough here to come by a date like that! All I can say is WOW :o Get a cold drink and get back out there yer doin great!

HH
Slipperyjack

Thanks, Slip!

I know what you mean about the oldies. These two recent 1700s finds of mine were actually my first pre-1700s coins, but now I need more. :) I think you folks out west maybe do better with the gold though, so that's still nice! :wink:

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
radarwill said:
I found a largie which many here said was like the one you found.
What do you think?

Oh, dude -- that's a peroxide project for sure. You might even get something out of it you can't see right now. Do you know how to do it?

I just take a small plastic bowl, fill it about an inch high with peroxide, cover it with a paper towel, and microwave on high for 1:30. Take it out (carefully), drop in the coin, and let it fizzle in there until it stops fizzing (give it at least a half hour). Then take it out, and wipe away the crud with Q-tips you've dipped in the same peroxide as the coin. Keep going until it's clean, or repeat the whole peroxide heating process if the coin needs another go (use new peroxide). When you're done, rinse it well in water, and let it dry. Afterwards I like to give it a light coat of Blue Ribbon Coin Conditioner, which kind of "seals" it and adds a bit of lustre. These coppers get kind of dull after all those years in the ground...

Good luck! Please post after pics if you do try this method!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectingfreak said:
Very Nice job on the Liberty Cap Large Cent! :thumbsup:
Burdie said:
Oh how nice it would be just to hold one in my hand. Wow what a nice site.

Burdie
hogge said:
Very Nice! Waiting for my first 1700's LC. Congrats.

Thanks folks! I was pretty happy, to say the least. This coin is a thick mutha, so it was pretty neat when it popped out. I always get a great rush from finding those old coppers.

And as I mentioned, this is my first 1700s copper, so all I can say is stick with it if you're still waiting on yours. Sure, I've been at it for three years, but it's only really this year that I feel like I have a clue what I'm doing! :icon_jokercolor:

Thanks again!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
It is always a pleasure to see the Liberty Cap coppers being posted, they are my favorite Large and Half Cents to find.

Don

Yeah they're really nice coins. I love the thick edges on the LC -- and how they actually have writing on the edge. I wish they still made coins like that...

Glad you enjoyed, Don. I know you've found a few of those big coppers yourself. :wink:

Cheers and HH,
B

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Brendan,another super find at that site!!Man ,with this heat,I have'nt got the will to go out,but I know your glad you did!Anytime you need some company at that site ,let me know.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're going to find a large cent it may as well be a liberty cap. Good job! :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're one of the the lucky one's B......You have a date on your's.Beautiful Dig :thumbsup:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your Large Cent, Brendan! That is an awesome coin from an awesome site! I bet there is more buried there.

The cooler South Shore nights are another thing I miss about Long Island. It was a brutal 83 degrees at 10 PM on Monday night here in the Philly region! Not much relief for an evening hunt!

WTG on the pre 1800 coins!

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LI Tom said:
Brendan,another super find at that site!!Man ,with this heat,I have'nt got the will to go out,but I know your glad you did!Anytime you need some company at that site ,let me know.

Haha thanks Tom!

I hear you on the heat -- I went out this afternoon again, and even though it was milder today I nearly had heat stroke anyway. The things we do for our passion... :wink:

I'd love to get together with you soon one way or another. You been out at all? Where've you been hunting?

I'm actually really excited, because in a week I'm going upstate for vacation. The wife and I rented a house near Lake Luzerne/Lake George/Saratoga, and we'll be there for seven days. I'm going to swing the hell out of that place. If I don't go home with a bag full of Revolutionary goodies, I'm gonna be bummed! :thumbsup:

Talk to you soon bud.

Cheers,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolution said:
If you're going to find a large cent it may as well be a liberty cap. Good job! :thumbsup:
civilman1 said:
You're one of the the lucky one's B......You have a date on your's.Beautiful Dig :thumbsup:

Thanks, folks. Yeah I was really stunned and delighted to find it. Even more so when I realized I could make out a date. I don't have to tell you guys about how many LCs I've found where that wasn't the case... I've found Braided Hair LCs a good 40-50 years younger than this Liberty Cap, and you can't even get a date off some of those...

Well thanks again. Hopefully I'll have more to show you soon!

Cheers and HH,
B

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Congrats on your Large Cent, Brendan! That is an awesome coin from an awesome site! I bet there is more buried there.

The cooler South Shore nights are another thing I miss about Long Island. It was a brutal 83 degrees at 10 PM on Monday night here in the Philly region! Not much relief for an evening hunt!

WTG on the pre 1800 coins!

Thanks, Neil. Sorry to hear about all the relentless heat by you. It's bad enough dealing with it all day...Hopefully this weekend works out better for you. :wink:

This Liberty Cap is actually the fifth LC I've found at this one particular spot. Total (non-clad) coin count is: 5 LCs, 6 Indian Heads, 1 1863 CW Trade Token, and the 1738 1 Reale. I've also found one War Nickel, but no other modern silver. (I've also found quite a few really sweet relics, including three gorgeous old skeleton keys, and some religious medals, dog tax tags, badges, etc.) My theory is someone years ago hit this park with an older detector, and dug all the really easy shallow silver (Mercs, Rosies, Washingtons, etc.), but left all the really deep old stuff. So if you have the patience to cover a lot of ground (big place) and to navigate your way through the carpet of pulltabs, there are some nice long-lost treasures still awaiting. I can't believe how it keeps producing!

Thanks again Neil. Take care!

Cheers and HH,
B

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG bmanley on diggin the 1795 :thumbsup:

My oldest LG Cent is a 1795 in dang good shape but sadly it has a hole in it :sad11: :sad7: :sad5: :sad7: :sad11:

Maybe theres a 1794 where ya dug the 95 :icon_scratch:

HH !!

Derek

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Derek752 said:
WTG bmanley on diggin the 1795 :thumbsup:

My oldest LG Cent is a 1795 in dang good shape but sadly it has a hole in it :sad11: :sad7: :sad5: :sad7: :sad11:

Maybe theres a 1794 where ya dug the 95 :icon_scratch:

HH !!

Derek

Thanks, Derek!

Hey -- those coins with the holes are kinda cool, too. It makes it all the more personal. Congrats on a great find yourself!

Now I'm off to find that 1794...

Cheers and HH,
B

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a true dream find..WTG :thumbsup:

Nat

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Brendan! Congrats (great that it has a date). Now you have to find the gold coin that's sittin' in that park :)

Haven't been out that much myself. Just the beach a couple of times but no luck.

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe G said:
Very nice Brendan! Congrats (great that it has a date). Now you have to find the gold coin that's sittin' in that park :)

Haven't been out that much myself. Just the beach a couple of times but no luck.

Thanks Joe!

I guess age of the coin has nothing to do with date integrity -- I've found LCs that were 50 years younger and were almost totally blank discs. I was shocked that there was some obvious detail when it first came up.

Dude, don't even kid about gold. I found a gilt flat button that had so much gold leaf still left on it, I was sure it was a gold coin. As you can imagine, I was a tad disappointed it wasn't. :wink:

Sorry to hear you haven't been out much. We need to change your luck, my friend! Let's get out soon.

I'm going on vacation at the end of next week. I'm renting a house up in Lake Luzerne/Lake George/Saratoga area. I can't wait to get up there and do some huntin'.... :thumbsup:

Talk to you soon, bud.

Cheers and HH,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions