Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings TNet friends!

It's been Vegas-hot the last few days here in NY, so I've been waiting for the evenings to get out and hunt a smidge. I figured I might get in a solid hour tonight, so I thought what the heck. I headed down to the old park I've been hunting, where I recently found a 1738 1 Reale and a bunch of nice old coppers. Not a bad place to kill an hour.... :wink:

So I spent about 50 of those minutes sweatin' like O.J., but I was fine with that. I'd already dug a nice old zouave-style button and some kind of brass whatzit, when I get this surprisingly strong, steady 83-85 signal, 6 inches down. Now, at this place, when you get a signal like that, your heart starts pounding. So I carefully cut my plug (sacrificing an anthill in the process -- sorry folks) and out comes this thick, fairly crusty LC. A quick wipe of the loose dirt gave me enough of a silhouette that I knew it was a Liberty Cap, so I happily pocketed that baby and called it a night. :wink:

And so, after my usual light cleaning with some hot peroxide, I ended up with a fairly pitted and worn coin, but luckily I can make out a date. I was pretty psyched to see it was a 1795 Liberty Cap LC. This was my first pre-1800 large copper, and my second 1700s coin from the last three hunts! I really can't ask for a better late-spring/early summer.

Enjoy the pics!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

Attachments

• LC 1795 Front2.JPG
    LC 1795 Front2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,174
  • LC 1795 Front1.JPG
    LC 1795 Front1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,167
  • LC 1795 Back.JPG
    LC 1795 Back.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,163
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evolx10 said:
Those coppers can surprise you if the soil its been in is nice to it. Congratz! :thumbsup:

True indeed. Thank God for that!

Nice reale you have there as your avatar. I have a similar (albeit younger) one as mine. What denomination is that reale of yours? Nice find!

Cheers and HH,
B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread