Cookout/Benefit for Mad4wrecks

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hang in there Tom. I am looking forward to meeting you. Ray with Kellyco called me today and said they will be donating 4 metal detectors to do with as we feel best.

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hang in there Tom. I am looking forward to meeting you. Ray with Kellyco called me today and said they will be donating 4 metal detectors to do with as we feel best.

I'm going to get together with Ray tomorrow to pick up what he has ready. I've also been in touch with the rep from Whites and he'll be setting up a booth at the cookout. We'll be getting packages in the mail from reps also. The response from treasure hunting and metal detecting clubs has been unreal. This is gonna be BIG!
I wouldn't be surprised if we top a thousand people! It has grown beyond belief!
Thank goodness for the people that have privately contacted me and offered their help!

E

elle

Tom, I just wanted to say that today's new chemotherapy is very encouraging with positive results.
You have more than one Guardian Angel at your side!

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I told Aquanut today that I am going to try to capture/kill a few wild hogs around my place and bring some fresh meat to the barbecue. There are going to be a lot of hungry folks to feed. If everyone could bring something we will all have enough.

Last edited:

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey All
Mel Fisher Museum Donated a 8 reale 1715 coin. I picked it up today at the Sebastian Museum.
Will be bring it for auction/raffle for the benefit cookout on November 3rd.
Thank you very very much Taffi, And the Fisher Family
She'll try to make it to the cookout that Saturday. She has a lot on her plate now days.
Trembull

coin 5.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
While Trembull was picking up the 8 reale, I was at Kellyco picking up donations they were gracious enough to offer. Bigdogdad had contacted Ray Walker over there and Kellyco really came through!I picked up 250 backpack combos from Kellyco, that will go with the first 250 meal tickets as people want them. Ray Walker also had 3 MPX metal detectors ready, so I picked them up also. He said he'd call me for me a pickup when the Ace250 comes in. Great Guy! He said he's going to try and be at the cookout too.

More info to come...

Aquanut

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
I've never been to a cookout due to my distance from NC, but because this is for Tom, I'll be there. I'm selling a few things as well to help out. John, a casserole won't make it in the overhead compartment, so what can I bring from the store once I arrive? Is there a list of needed items?

Darren, I'm going to send you to the store Saturday morning to get all the stuff we're missing. I just don't know yet what that will be! LOL!

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
John, I'll be traveling from Tampa with a group. I'm certain we can stop and get whatever we need. I'll PM you my number. You've done a fine job getting this together, as have many others on this forum. Kudos to all involved!

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
John, I'll be traveling from Tampa with a group. I'm certain we can stop and get whatever we need. I'll PM you my number. You've done a fine job getting this together, as have many others on this forum. Kudos to all involved!

Thanks Darren! I'll call one way or the other.
Aquanut

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
This from Chuck(Seeker41)

hmmmm? ok , lets see if this works.
mike scott at first texas/fisher/teknetics has asked if anyone has a piece of wood from a 1715 wreck and if he can work out a trade for a detector. if you have something or know someone who does let me know asap and we will get a detector to auction off. here is his e-mail to me........

"Hi Chuck,

Maybe you can help me out or we can work a trade for a detector for your club or purchase outright. I am looking for some shipwreck 1715 wood if possible.

Let me know if you have any connections that can help find me some.

Mike"

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I may be able to help. I have a good chunk of wood from the Cabin wreck with iron spike holes in it, but it hasn't been conserved. (stored wet in fresh water.) Will try to post a pic. What kind of detector?

Also, have a friend that owns the Pirates Chest in St. Thomas, and is sending a coin to raffle/auction. Will give you the details John once I receive it.

Pirates_Chest

Tom

Last edited:

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Some fellow treasure hunter's and I went over to Ft. Pierce Friday afternoon. We went to colored beach first. The wind was blowing like crazy and it was raining but we detected anyway. We figured we would get up real early to try to be one of the first guys on the beach Saturday morning. We stayed at a motel on the beach and watched the waves crash into the dunes. We were excited.

The following morning we were up before dawn and ready to go. We went to Turtle crawl and the gates were locked and they had put yellow crime scene tape up that said "Do not cross". We went to Seagrape and it was the same. We thought about ignoring it but instead went to Rio Mar. The gate was open. We walked out and looked down towards the point, and it was gone. Not really any cut but we detected anyway.

The waves were huge. We saw a lot of debris in the water. We noticed some beach chairs in the surf, heading south. I decided to get in the water and grab one. They were nice folding chairs with the logo "john's island club" printed on the back. We saw something smaller and it was a footrest for the chairs. The waves were pounding and the rip current was there but we grabbed some more as they went by. I even caught a small one.

Another guy was there and he got one too. He mentioned that he may give it away as a prize at a barbecue next weekend. He said they were having a charity event at the Pennwood to help a fellow TH'r. What a coincidence because I told him I was going too. His username is Robocop.

My friends want to keep theirs as a treasure from our trip as that is all we found. I am going to donate mine at the barbecue, to be auctioned off. They are really cool. They are made in North Carolina and were probably expensive when they were new. They are a little beat up. I want to get as many TH'rs as possible to autograph them. Print and sign your name on it. I will have silver, gold and black pens. The more signatures the better. I think it is better to give than to recieve. It would make a great usable momento/conversation piece from the possible storm of the century.

Do you think maybe we should have turned them in to those nice folks at the club? Somebody probably set them on the edge of the dune and then the wind and waves sent them into the water. I bet somebody is in trouble. Return them? Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! That's funny.

I just got done setting a hog trap. Guess what I am going to do with the nice liitle piggy's that get caught in it? Hint-PETA-people eating tasty animals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Her are some more of the items being donated for the auction and raffle. I'll post more tomorrow. The Tumbaga Shaman and Lizard are from The Santa Marta area of Columbia and are of unknown age.The Rice bowls are from an ancient shipwreck of the unconfirmed Tang Dynasty Chinese (about 900A.D.)The books are all signed copies by the authors And there will be other books by other authors at the Benefit. The pottery shards and small ballst stones/musket balls are all off shipwrecks that Tom Gidus has salvaged.

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010011.JPG
    P1010011.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 95
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 81
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 88
  • P1010016.JPG
    P1010016.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 97
  • P1010020.JPG
    P1010020.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P1010022.JPG
    P1010022.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 89

scubaozzy

Aug 20, 2007
Tavares,FL.
Detector(s) used
minelab excal.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Aquanut, will there be a list of what is being auctioned off and what will be raffled on here or will that be announced at the event? Thanks

OP
OP
aquanut

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquanut, will there be a list of what is being auctioned off and what will be raffled on here or will that be announced at the event? Thanks

I'll not be able to compile a complete and final list because some people that are donating things haven't been specific. The items being donated that have been mentioned on this site could be cataloged, but I don't have time. I'm busy putting together this thing in between work and taking care of my grandson. I still have to go out to the garage and make signs and a donation box tonight for example. If someone would be kind enough to review all the posts here and compile a list it would be nice. As far as what items will be auctioned or raffled, some items probably won't even get to the event until after it's already started so it'll have to be determined as we go... Anybody out there have a port-a potty or two they'd like to donate to this? How about a smoker?

John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread