🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why do you say higher frequencies use less power? I have heard both arguments (its higher and lower power required for higher frequencies). Not being argumentative, just interested in the theory behind it. I would have thought the opposite. Regarding remote area detecting, I would imagine that the control box would be limiting and they are not doing anything about that. Also, you could use solar recharging if you brought a spare coil and have unlimited on station time. Seems like a pretty big design change for a rather niche application. But it does have its advantages.

I totally agree man... it doesn't make sense with the reasoning being due to remote areas. I had read that somewhere and I believe it was from XP or an XP rep. I have this external battery that I take with me when I camp and detect. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X5RV14Y Its capacity is 20,100 mAh. I believe the current coil, remote and headphone batteries are like 680 mAh (or so) So with that backup battery... 20,100/680 = 29 CHARGES! So 29 charges, divided by the 3 batteries means I could recharge my whole unit from TOTALLY dead to full 9 to 10 times. ha So basically, that the small 20,100 external battery, I could detect in the woods for weeks. haha So yeah, the whole remote thing doesn't make sense to me one bit, and I too would prefer not having a cable come out of the coil.

As far as the frequencies go, the way I understood it, the higher frequencies have a shorter wavelength and lower amplitude, so they use less power... and the lower frequencies the opposite. But I'm not well versed in that at all... I typically run my Deus in 18khz and sometimes 12khz.

The latest advert XP released had some coil battery expectation numbers on it too. Here it is cropped and circled in red.

battery usage.jpg

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should add, the specs from XP on the current coils, remote and headphones are

Battery life: Coil ± 16 hours, Remote and Headphones ± 27H

So perhaps their goal with the higher capacity battery in the stem, was to remove the coil hour bottleneck and bring them all up to around the same level of time.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the take on frequency vs. power consumption. I will have to take a deeper look into that.

I see also just above where you circled on the promo they talk about remote area detecting. Go figure. I guess XP will sell a very sophisticated detector to folks who have a hard time figuring out how to bring an external Li battery pack with them. Sounds like a very sophisticated expedition :rollseyes: or XP developing a solution for an as yet non-existent problem. ha!

Anyway, good question as to whether they will actually phase in the new battery configuration for the earlier gen coils.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those marathon 27 hour per day detecting sessions, lol. But I agree with your logic on XP's possible motivations for upping the coil battery life to match the control box.

It doesn't have to make practical sense, just marketing sense. lol.

Last edited:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...I see also just above where you circled on the promo they talk about remote area detecting. Go figure...

Doh! I knew I saw it somewhere. hahaha Thanks for pointing that out. I know I read about the HF battery location reason being for remote areas, in some xp doc last summer too. But yeah, it looks like its in their latest advert as well. ha

I personally really like the battery inside the coil and would rather not have a wire. I know some people see it as a pain because of the battery replacement, but that's once every 4 or 5+ years and it cost $50 to send it to XP for them to replace. When my 9 or 11 need a new one, it will most likely be out of warranty... so when that time comes, I will probably buy the lipo battery from a source myself, cut the coil compartment, replace and silicone it myself.

I guess depending on what XPs motivation for the new external battery really is, will depend on if they make it the same for the existing coils. Time will tell on that one.

I am going to purchase the new HF elliptical coil and the pinpointer. I'm actually very excited about the HF elliptical. I read a lot of people saying stuff like - 'I'm not getting it, its only for gold. I don't hunt for gold.' The reason the higher frequencies are for gold is that those frequencies will hit on the low conductor and smaller\odd shaped items much better. For the relic hunter like me, so much of the stuff I'm after is in the low conductor range... small or oddly shaped. I have a feeling the elliptical coil in 30kHz is going to liven up some sites for me... and it still runs in a 14kHz lower frequency for general hunting as well. So in a few months when it comes out, I'll hopefully be posting some finds with it at sites I've beat up.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm worried about posting "I've got 50 #8 shot today at 8" deep in a 10 square foot area"..

With all the Old Shotgun shells I dig a day.

Wouldn't a higher frequency coil make it worse, for me?

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm worried about posting "I've got 50 #8 shot today at 8" deep in a 10 square foot area"..

Yeah, you'll be digging a lot of shotgun BBs at those higher frequencies. But im not sure you'll be getting them at 8" deep. For instance, the Fisher Gold Bug 2 is 71khz. It can detect a piece of gold 1/150th of a gram in size - a mere speck. But it can only do it at about an inch or two deep.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I doubt the new coil will be able to pick up a shot that small. I'm not even sure my GPX4500 could pick up #8 shot at 8". #8 shot is a little bigger than a pin head. If the new HF coils can even pick up #8 shot, it would probably be in the highest frequency and need to nearly be touching the coil. A pulse machine like a GPX would be more suited for that, but I doubt a VLF machine could pick up a single #8 shot very easily.

The 9" coil in 18kHz hardly hits on a cuff sized pewter at 3". That is the sort of target I would expect to be much easier to find with a new HF coil.

XP touched a bit on the versatility of the new coils in the advert. Read the part I outlined in red.

HF Coil.jpg

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All I know is there is no reason why V4 can't be released ahead of the product launch so we can relearn are machines. It also makes more sense as having more people use the software would find bugs and issues faster than a small beta test crowd. Just disable the PP functions and any functions related to the new products and release a V4.1 when the products are shipping to customers the would unlock the features needed for the new products.

Also yes you're going to lose some depth with the new higher frequency coils, so don't plan on ripping out the deep stuff with the HF coils. Lets all sit back and enjoy this show just a little more :occasion18:

Last edited:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ouch, $200 for the PP - $150 is about my limit for that accessory.
Will probably have to pass on that, can't think of any compelling reasons to retire the Garrett just yet.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My carrot is still working fine for me but I'm after the new small HF coil. Can't wait to use it on some difficult site riddled with rust and lots of iron. I e pulled a lot of old copper out of these two sites so when I use the new HF coil it will get a good test.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold my TRX on eBay the other day. Won't be needing it anymore when the MI-6 comes out. Can't detect right now anyway with two feet of snow on the ground.

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MI-6 User's Manual:
Screenshot_20170219-083458.png Screenshot_20170219-083524.png Screenshot_20170219-083539.png Screenshot_20170219-083633.png Screenshot_20170219-083715.png Screenshot_20170219-083734.png

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Says you only get 90 hours on a charge by using program 7 on the Deus. And 30 hours by using either vibrate OR audio. Only 20 hours if you use vibrate and audio together. Any thoughts on this?

laidback4sho

Aug 31, 2014
Laconia, NH
Detector(s) used
Currently:
XP Deus v4.1
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher Gold Bug 2

Previously:
Garrett GTA 500
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Garrett GTAx 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, nvm. It says program 7 is when you use the pinpointer with the Deus, as opposed to using it as a standalone pinpointer. So if you're using it through your headphones and you have the LED switched off, you should get around 90 hours. Looks like for those who aren't swinging a Deus and just wanna use it as a standalone pinpointer, they'll be getting 30 hours or less.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt the new coil will be able to pick up a shot that small. I'm not even sure my GPX4500 could pick up #8 shot at 8". #8 shot is a little bigger than a pin head. If the new HF coils can even pick up #8 shot, it would probably be in the highest frequency and need to nearly be touching the coil. A pulse machine like a GPX would be more suited for that, but I doubt a VLF machine could pick up a single #8 shot very easily.

The 9" coil in 18kHz hardly hits on a cuff sized pewter at 3". That is the sort of target I would expect to be much easier to find with a new HF coil.

XP touched a bit on the versatility of the new coils in the advert. Read the part I outlined in red.

View attachment 1415835

I guess it depends on the site. SEE this small shot next to 22 slug, I would guess its to small for buck but more like a duck load (It's Flattened).
It surprised me as it was a few inches deep and the Garrett pointer doesn't pick it up well but I had a good signal in the relic program. Yes I checked the hole again.
20170219_090440.jpg

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like what he said about the change in the iron.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread