Does Anyone have a RangerTell Examiner

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
~TerryC~
Art, I'm back. Tell me, I saw one of your Youtube videos.
Yes I made some movies...... aarthrj3811 - YouTube
You have to be at least as old as I (63).
I am 73
Remember the X-RAY glasses from the 50s and 60s? Advertised in magazines to "see through" women's clothing?I KNOW you have a pair and can explain the "science" of them.
No I never did have any X-Ray glasses
Sorry, but your long range locator explainations sound like right out of the magazine add! TTC
I have never saw an ad for long range locators in those kind of magazine..
Since the treasure hunter is the only one who knows what type of treasure hunting he enjoys and what he wants his equipment to do I make these recommendations...
Read every thing you can about long range locators...Visit the web sites and study them..If you read about a device that you think will meet your needs contact the manufacturer...Ask many questions...Find someone in your area who has a LRL. Go on a hunt with them...If possible make an appointment with the manufacturer to have a hands on demonstration of the device.. Just make sure that you want the device before you buy...Art

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Art, you seem to be real so I will apologize for pulling your leg. Your most recent reply is sincere but I am just not ready for the LRLs yet. Tnx for your reply, my friend. Terry

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey Terry...You now know that they are available for Treasure Hunters...I don’t think they are the right tool for everyone....I also am a pretty good Dowser which I learned after using a LRL for years...Some of the methods I used with the rod type LRL’s made it easier for me to learn to dowse..It all comes down to how you want to enjoy our hobby..Art

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
This thread seems to have only a few field reports from users of the Examiner, and a lot of opinions.
If you are interested in facts from a user of the Rangertell Examiner, I have tested two of the current models which are offered for sale today.

Here are some facts and details:
The Rangertell Examiner is offered at a special sale price of $599 USD for the "T-G Ver 8.08B" model. This is the basic Examiner, which comes with a no-name Chinese calculator attached, and a CD which has PDF files showing instructions and lists of keys to press which are claimed to produce the necessary frequencies for finding various buried things.

Rangertell also offers the $899 USD "deluxe" model at their special sale price. This is the same basic Examiner, but with a TI solar powered calculator attached, and has a single ground probe included which you can connect to your laptop computer to send an audio tone to the probe between 0 and 20,000 Hz. The CD includes instructions, and more calculator key codes than are given in the basic model, and also has an audio tone software that you can use on your laptop.

Rangertell also offers a new $899 USD "Deluxe Unity XII" model (new for 2012) at their special sale price. Rangertell advertising says with this model You get the same features as with the Deluxe; the Ground Probe, software but 200 frequencies. I also see where they say it also has a rear 'bait' sample chamber with switch to choose between Examiner and sample chamber.

I am looking for any information about the Ranger Tell Examiner I can find. How it works? What have you found with it that you want to share about? Ease of use? If my brain is dowsing does it affect it? Any other answers about it would help.
Thanks

I have a deluxe Examiner.
I tested both the "T-G 808b" standard model, and the "deluxe" model. I performed extended tests in the field, as well as tests in the lab to measure what signals this LRL was sending. The field tests results convinced me that I can agree with Carl and woof!. I witnessed detection which appeared exactly the same as the detection you will find when dowsing. After sending emails to the Rangertell representative, he told me the Examiner does not use dowsing, and it should work as soon as you turn it on. This convinced me I must be one of those people who cannot locate things on my own, using the Examiner. So I recruited more than 50 volunteers to test to see if they could locate anything with these two Rangertlell Models. (Note: these volunteers included some who tested the T-G model and some who tested the deluxe model). Nobody was able to locate anything so far. It was impossible to conduct any scientific test to establish the percentage of detection that was found with the Rangertell TG or Deluxe model, because nobody was able to locate anything to establish a base line.

So is the Examiner TG different from the regular Examiner model? What factors make the pinpointing hard to do?

The T-G model and the Deluxe model are identical in construction, except the deluxe model has a TI solar powered calculator rather than a no-name Chinese calculator. The physical differences are the TI calculator does not turn itself off after a few minutes of running, and it uses less power, and operates at a different clock frequency than the stronger no-name calculator. The other difference, is the deluxe model has more frequencies included in the CD, so you have more factory-approved numbers you can enter into the calculator. I have observed no difference in pinpointing between the two models. I saw no locating or pinpointing of anything. Both of these locators seemed equally influenced by the force of the wind and gravity, and by using your hand muscles to cause them to turn. They seem to have very low friction in the plastic-to-brass bearing surfaces. The other models which I am reading about here are older versions of the Examiner which are no longer made.

open_3.jpg

The vast majority of LRLs are just dowsing rods. The electronics are added to make you feel good about spending a ton of money on a dowsing rod.

I had that same thought. But I was interested to know for certain, rather than to use common sense. I remembered years ago listening to calculator switching sounds by placing a small iron core coil above a calculator keyboard and hearing the internal clocking signals on the speakers from an audio amplifier. I wondered what signals exactly this calculator was sending to the Examiner, and what did the circuitry inside the Examiner do to this signal? So I spent a lot of time measuring what came out of the calculator, and how it interacted with the electronics inside the Examiner. But this time I did the measuring with real electronic lab instruments, instead of an audio amplifier. As it turned out, the calculator sends out an electric signal which can be detected on sensitive instruments which are properly grounded at a distance of approximately 6 inches, before they become lost in the other electric noise in the air. However, there is no inductive coupling, as claimed by the manufacturer. This was proven by shorting the Examiner pickup coil and also wrapping aluminum foil over it. The signal entering into the Examiner circuitry was unchanged. But what happened to the signal after it entered into the Examiner circuitry? It was attenuated to the point that it was non-existent, below the noise floor when I was probing in the vicinity of the antenna, and other conductive parts of the Examiner circuit. The only place where I could detect any signal at all when the Examiner was fully assembled was when probing the air around the calculator itself. The calculator clocking signal did not pass through the Examiner handle or antenna in any measurable amount. My guess is the size of that antenna was picking up too much noise from the air, and drowning out any trace of the calculator signal which might have been capacitively coupled to the innards. And it does not surprise me, when looking at the circuit diagram. Those capacitors and diode don't help a signal to pass through. After later examination of the circuitry, I came to the conclusion that it is non-functional, and will give the same results if you remove it all, including the calculator, and leave only the antenna to provide balancing of the unit.

If the keyboard breaks, will any old calculator work in its place?
If the internal clock frequency shifts, will the thing keep "working" the same as always anyhow?

--Dave J.

This is a good question. I think woof! knows the right answer. But I checked this out thoroughly to find the answer by testing. What the measurements show is it does not matter what sequence of keys you push, After you release your final keystroke, the calculator will send out a fixed frequency signal for a few inches that is not related to keystrokes you made. These are the clocking cycles for the calculator which are fixed by the capacitor and resistor values of an internal oscillator. The strongest signal is near the display, from the display drivers. But the signal which the Examiner "pickup coil" is positioned at is the keypad strobing clock signal. This is an audio signal which does not change.

Now, we know the T-G model and deluxe model both use the same exact hardware, except different calculators. As it turns out, these two calculators have two different clock frequencies. I found the no-name Chinese calculator has a stronger signal, which seems understandable, because it runs on 3 volts from two batteries rather than 1.5+ volts from a solar cell and a capacitor for backup storage.

But it get's worse... Suppose you want to get the very best of precision frequencies, so you order the deluxe model, and you type in the prescribed calculator codes to get some exact frequency. What you don't know is the frequency you entered in the calculator is not the frequency the calculator is sending out. Only the oscillator clocked frequency is coming out of the calculator. But the frequency for the TI solar calculator clock is dependent on the voltage at it's power supply. Not a little bit dependent, but a lot. This means that when you move your deluxe Examiner from bright sunlight to a shaded area, the frequency can drop to less than 1/3 of frequency it was sending when it was in the bright sun. This same voltage-related frequency drift can also be seen on the other Chinese calculator if the battery voltage drops over time. See the chart below which shows the frequency drift I recorded and plotted against voltage, and various light conditions.

Freq.gif
This chart was made from actual measurements I made from the Rangertell TI Solar calculator clocking signal which the "pickup coil" is exposed to, in various lighting conditions we find when hunting for treasure. You can see the frequency drops to 1/3 when you walk from bright sunlight to a dark shaded area.

Some facts about the Examiner calculators:
1. Neither of these Examiner calculators changes their frequency or anything about the signals they emit after you take your fingers off the keypad.
Their signal is always the same, unless you change to a different calculator.
2. The no-name Chinese calculator frequency at the "pickup coil" is 576 Hz in a 30 Hz envelope frequency.
3. The TI Solar calculator frequency at the "pickup coil" is 2240 Hz in a 280 Hz envelope frequency.
(This frequency can drop to 1/3 this amount when the light shining on the solar cell becomes dim).
4. The oscillator frequencies for both calculators are slightly temperature dependent. I observed them change about 5% when the temperature changed 100 degrees F.

After observing the field tests and the lab tests, I am beginning to wonder if this may indeed be a scam LRL, as Carl-NC and woof! seem to think. But since I hear a few reports of how well it works, I know there must be some principle operation which causes pressing those calculator keys to change frequencies and discriminate various buried things. It certainly is not an electronic principle, from the evidence I have witnessed in the testing. The only conclusion I reached from my observations so far is the Examiner appears to work as well as dowsing works.

Up to this point, I have seen only a little more than 50 people test these Examiners in the field. However, if there is someone who wants to try it before he buys, they are welcome to try the factory-new deluxe Examiner I have. I have the CD with all the precision codes, and I will meet you anywhere in Southern California that you want to try the deluxe Examiner. Maybe it will work for you. If it does, then you can send for your own Examiner, and become the next happy Examiner user. But if it doesn't, then you can save yourself enough money to get some nice Christmas presents for the family.

Best Wishes,
J_P

Last edited:

hung

Jul 16, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tubedec A9000, Mineoro FG90, OKM Bionic X4
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Art, have a look at the size of his post.
Impressive this dude's available time to write BS don't you think?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Yes ..It seems that he found treasure with it and then tried to explain to use how it did not work...We know it works and that 1000’s of users find treasure with a RT every day..
I guess he just can not except the fact that he could find objects with it...Art
~JP~
I tested both the "T-G 808b" standard model, and the "deluxe" model. I performed extended tests in the field, as well as tests in the lab to measure what signals this LRL was sending. The field tests results convinced me that I can agree with Carl and woof!. I witnessed detection which appeared exactly the same as the detection you will find when dowsing. After sending emails to the Rangertell representative, he told me the Examiner does not use dowsing, and it should work as soon as you turn it on. This convinced me I must be one of those people who cannot locate things on my own, using the Examiner.
I am a Dowser and also a RT owner...I don’t see how a dowser could possibly gather all the information about the target that comes from the Ranger Tell....Art

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
Yes ..It seems that he found treasure with it and then tried to explain to use how it did not work...We know it works and that 1000’s of users find treasure with a RT every day..
I guess he just can not except the fact that he could find objects with it...Art
~JP~
Hi Art,
You are mistaken. I did not find any treasure or anything else with the Rangertell Examiner model T_G 808B or with the Deluxe model. I did not witness 1000s of users find treasure with a RT every day. I only observed a little more than 50 people use the Examiner, and I did not see any of these 50 people locate anything; not treasure or other objects. I did not try to explain anything about how they didn't find treasure. My report for field testing only included a brief description of what I observed in the field. If I was able to locate anything, or if any of the other 50 people who I saw use the Examiner were able to find anything, then I would have reported it with my field observations.

But I am curious about these 1000s of users who you say find treasure with RT every day.
Do you think any of them live in Southern California?

Best Wishes,
J_P

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~JP~
Hi Art,
You are mistaken. I did not find any treasure or anything else with the Rangertell Examiner model T_G 808B or with the Deluxe model. I did not witness 1000s of users find treasure with a RT every day. I only observed a little more than 50 people use the Examiner, and I did not see any of these 50 people locate anything, whether treasure or other objects. I did not try to explain anything about how they didn't find treasure. My report for field testing only included a brief description of what I observed in the field. If I was able to locate anything, or if any of the other 50 people who I saw use the Examiner were able to find anything, then I would have reported it along with my field observations.

But I am curious about these 1000s of users who you say find treasure with RT every day.
Do you think any of them live in Southern California?
With a population of @ 40 million people I would guess that there would be some treasure hunters in Southern California that use Ranger Tells...The first RT I ever used it took me over 8 hours to get it to work...My TG took me months before I went into the field with it... I am still learning...I have told you before...If you try to Dowsing with a LRL or MFD you are doomed to failure....
I tested both the "T-G 808b" standard model, and the "deluxe" model. I performed extended tests in the field, as well as tests in the lab to measure what signals this LRL was sending. The field tests results convinced me that I can agree with Carl and woof!. I witnessed detection which appeared exactly the same as the detection you will find when dowsing.
So now you claim that Dowsing does not work?....Art

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
With a population of @ 40 million people I would guess that there would be some treasure hunters in Southern California that use Ranger Tells...The first RT I ever used it took me over 8 hours to get it to work...My TG took me months before I went into the field with it... I am still learning...I have told you before...If you try to Dowsing with a LRL or MFD you are doomed to failure....

So now you claim that Dowsing does not work?....Art
Hi Art,
What you guess: "...that there would be some treasure hunters in Southern California that use Ranger Tells..." hasn't shown itself to be a correct guess so far. I could not find any Southern Califrornia treasure hunters that use Rangertells, so I emailed the Rangertell representative to ask him if he could refer me to some. After several weeks, he told me he did not know of any Southern California Ranger Tell users. He did refer me to a user in Arizona, who never answered any of my emails when I contacted him. It appears I am the only Southern California Ranger Tell user that I know of. The 50 or so other people in Southern California who tried the Examiners didn't find any treasure. It makes me wonder where are all these 1000s of users find treasure with a RT every day. I suppose you are one of them in Nevada. Maybe hung in Brazil is another one.

For the time spent before going into the field, I can tell you I spent three days reading all the PDF files that came on the Examiner CD before I was able to understand exactly what the instructions said. From there, I printed a single page with the most foolproof methods recommended by Rangertell to use the Examiner. I had all the best treasure codes for several kinds of treasures, as well as hunting procedures on a single page that I could take into the field with me. After some email consultations with the Rangertell rep, I understood fully that the Examiner should not be used as a dowsing application. According to the Rangertell rep, we can simply turn it on, and it works. He told me the best settings for the control dial and for extending the antenna. After several weeks, I took it into the field to see what I could find. I didn't find anything. That was back in 2009. But I have continued to study all the new tips and frequencies which Rangertell sends, as well as any tips I can find in the forums. Since 2009, more than 50 people tried to find things with the Examiners I have, and none of us could find anything. We did exactly as the Rangertell rep and instructions say we should operate the Examiner. But I am sure there is some simple thing we might be overlooking. Maybe you have suggestions that can show the correct way to find treasure with the Examiner I have. (Note: Deluxe model with TI Solar calculator).

"So now you claim that Dowsing does not work?....Art"
No, I made no claims about whether dowsing works. I only reported the observations that I made, and what these observations convinced me of.
The field tests results convinced me that I can agree with Carl and woof!. I witnessed detection which appeared exactly the same as the detection you will find when dowsing.
I have read posts by Carl-NC and by woof! who both state their opinion that swivelling-rod LRLs work like dowsing. And I became convinced that what I witnessed from the Examiners is consistent with what both of them say about the dowsing properties of LRLs that swivel. Of course, what I am convinced of could be wrong, but until I witness new evidence that convinces me otherwise, it will remain the opinion that I have.

Now, if you want some claims about whether dowsing works or not, you will need to read what Carl-NC and woof! have to say about it, because I have offered no claims, or opinion or conclusions about whether dowsing works or not.

Best Wishes,
J_P

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gee...If I was the largest LRL seller in the world I would not give out my buyers information unless they said I could..All I can tell you is that your device is faulty or you are searching in an area where there is nothing to be found...Real simple...Art

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
Gee...If I was the largest LRL seller in the world I would not give out my buyers information unless they said I could..All I can tell you is that your device is faulty or you are searching in an area where there is nothing to be found...Real simple...Art
Thanks for the tips, Art.
I know there was something to be found, because we actually placed jewelry items to search for in most of the tests we made.
In one test we even buried a length of 3" copper pipe 5 feet long.
Does this mean both of the Examiners that Rangertell sent to Southern California were faulty?
If so, it might shed some light on why nobody can find any users of Rangertell Examiner in Southern California who find treasure every day.

Best Wishes,
J_P

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gee JP...I can’t answer that question..If the rest of the Ranger Tell owners in So.Cal don’t want to talk to skeptics that is your problem. Could it be that you just don’t understand how to use them?..In 3 years you have not ask for any help with your problem...How many bar magnets were buried in the area of your searches?..Art
P.S..By the way....Instead of having a cheat sheet of one page mine is a full 9 pages long..Are you entering a cos and tan setting? Is it in the Deg mode?..Is it set for feet or meters?...Many reasons why it will not work for you...Art

Last edited:

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
Gee JP...I can’t answer that question..If the rest of the Ranger Tell owners in So.Cal don’t want to talk to skeptics that is your problem. Could it be that you just don’t understand how to use them?..In 3 years you have not ask for any help with your problem...How many bar magnets were buried in the area of your searches?..Art
P.S..By the way....Instead of having a cheat sheet of one page mine is a full 9 pages long..Are you entering a cos and tan setting? Is it in the Deg mode?..Is it set for feet or meters?...Many reasons why it will not work for you...Art
Hi Art,

There are no owners of Rangertell Examiners in Southern California that I know about, or that the Rangertell rep knows about.
The only existing Examiner in Southern California that either Rangertell or I know about is the one I have.

We never tested the Examiner to see if it would find magnets. In most of the tests we made, we first checked the ground with a metal detector to be certain there was no other metals in the area which could interfere. We would have easily found any bar magnets if they were in the test area. I can say that we were working on a clean testing field with only one peice of jewelry or other metal that we were searching to locate with the Examiner. There were a few of our field tests where we checked the ground, but we were not able to check an adjacent hillside, because it was too steep to climb and check for hidden bar magnets or other metal things. But considering how steep this hillside was, it seemed unlikely there were any bar magnets or other metals caught on the the vertical face of it.

However I have been asking for help to find a way to make these Examiners work since 2009.
One of the earliest replies I got was in 2009 from a person who calls himself Mike(Mont) in the forums. I listened very carefully to his advice.
He told me a lot of tips which sounded like advice for using a dowsing rod, contrary to the advice that you gave in the past few forum posts.
Some of the advice Mike(Mont) gave for using the Examiner was:
In case you don't know, I own an old model Examiner. I have found gold with it. One time in a city park I found a gold stick pin from about 75 yards had it dug up in about five minutes.
I suggest you practice outdoors away from electrical lines. One of the problems learning to use a locator is it is easy to fixate on the rod when you should be using a soft focus and putting your awareness on the search area.
You have to learn to let the rod work without trying to interfere with your mind or your body.
Some people might do better with two hands or stabilizing the elbow or forearm with the opposite hand so your arm is somewhat relaxed.
And remember to keep your arm and upper body all as one unit, don't try to freehand it.
Go slow, some say move the rod tip three inches per second, no more.
I can find a signal line without rods. I hold my arms out from my sides and relax my wrists so my hands point down somewhat. I call it the scarecrow stance.
Yes, learning to use a rod is similar to learning a golf swing--many things to remember but not think about.

None of these tips from Mike(Mont) are in the Rangertell instructions, but I tried them all anyway.
However, they did not result in finding anything. So I went back to using the Rangertell approved methods to operate the Examiner. And all the other fifty people who used these examiners also used the Rangertell approved methods. But none of us could find anything. Of course I have been getting more tips and advice over the past three years, and I try every kind of advice I get from people who say they are finding treasures with the Examiner.

"Are you entering a cos and tan setting? Is it in the Deg mode?..Is it set for feet or meters?...Many reasons why it will not work for you...Art"
When I include all the latest key-code updates from Rangertell, I have a lot more codes besides the cos and tan keys which are entered in the calculator during field tests.
In addition to the "frequency code", a number of other operators are entered such as the +/- keys in some conditions, inversions, or hyperbolic function keys for other purposes. Even the exponent keys are sometimes used when appropriate. But these are mostly used in special conditions. The Rangertell factory also sent me a few simple key codes which they say are foolproof for locating gold. They told me a couple of minor adjustments to make if their simple codes didn't work. Of course also they sent detailed instructions of how to walk when searching for gold, with several alternate methods to pinpoint a target too. I consider using these factory approved methods to be essential if we expected to find any success with the Examiner. But what we found was neither the simple key codes, or the more complex keycodes resulted in anyone locating anything so far, whether we used the factory method for searching or tried the Mike(Mont) method.

Maybe you could send your method of what modes, and what key sequences to press which might result in locating something. (If you do, then send by PM, because Rangertell considers these codes proprietary, only for people who have an Examiner).

Best Wishes,
J_P

Last edited:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~JP~

Maybe you could send your method of what modes, and what key sequences to press which might result in locating something. (If you do, then send by PM, because Rangertell considers these codes proprietary, only for people who have an Examiner).
The only codes I have are what most people consider as frequencies..You should have all the frequencies...Are you hitting the +/- button in the proper order..Mine will not work properly unless you enter the cos value before the tan value. Try 5.13 times 1 times 2 enter for gold...Let me know..
Checking the ground with a device that at best can detect metal at one foot is a waste of time..There is a lot of junk that could be as deep a 60 feet..Art

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
The only codes I have are what most people consider as frequencies..You should have all the frequencies...Are you hitting the +/- button in the proper order..Mine will not work properly unless you enter the cos value before the tan value. Try 5.13 times 1 times 2 enter for gold...Let me know..
Checking the ground with a device that at best can detect metal at one foot is a waste of time..There is a lot of junk that could be as deep a 60 feet..Art
Hi Art,
I tried your key sequence of 5.23 X 1 X 2 = (there is no enter key on the TI Solar calculator, so we use the = key to cause it to display the answer on the screen).
Then I set a gold man's ring on the ground and did some searching, but I found no detection. I had the antenna extended one length from the closed position, and the control knob set at various sensitivity settings during the search. I did not see the Examiner swing toward where the gold ring is during any of the search.

One question: I was using the sequence that Rangertell recommends for the +/- key. Where in the sequence of pressing those keys do you recommend I should press the +/- key?

Best Wishes,
J_P

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Here ya go guys- a genuine voodoo staff that is SURE to find the treasures you seek. And cheaper than an RT. If you'd like, I can duct tape a calculator to it.....

VOODOO STAFF

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
I know RT suggest that you use the +/- key with certain codes...On mine if I hit the +/- bar after I enter the code it will change the math from feet to metrics...I don’t know which mode RT says that your calculator has to be in but mine has to be in the DEG mode. I always put in a depth of at least one foot after each code change..I always degauss the antenna before entering a new code( just pull it all the way out an reset it)...I use one section plus ¼ in ..After taking the calculator off to do your test did you get it back in the proper position? It has to also have the proper air space..Does the unit swing when you step on the gold? Before each use I put a gold nugget on the floor or ground...put in the code, depth 1 and distance 1 and check the swing...If it is in metrics it will only read the nugget for a few inches... I understand that some models are set to always be in the foot mode.The memory will not retain the settings when the battery is low.
I did an experiment years ago where I put a plastic box on a brass rod ..taped a calculator to the box..Yes it worked but not very well...Art

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
I know RT suggest that you use the +/- key with certain codes...On mine if I hit the +/- bar after I enter the code it will change the math from feet to metrics...I don’t know which mode RT says that your calculator has to be in but mine has to be in the DEG mode. I always put in a depth of at least one foot after each code change..I always degauss the antenna before entering a new code( just pull it all the way out an reset it)...I use one section plus ¼ in ..After taking the calculator off to do your test did you get it back in the proper position? It has to also have the proper air space..Does the unit swing when you step on the gold? Before each use I put a gold nugget on the floor or ground...put in the code, depth 1 and distance 1 and check the swing...If it is in metrics it will only read the nugget for a few inches... I understand that some models are set to always be in the foot mode.The memory will not retain the settings when the battery is low.
I did an experiment years ago where I put a plastic box on a brass rod ..taped a calculator to the box..Yes it worked but not very well...Art
Hi Art,
Thanks for the tips.

"I know RT suggest that you use the +/- key with certain codes...On mine if I hit the +/- bar after I enter the code it will change the math from feet to metrics".
By pressing the +/- key on the TI Solar calculator, the sign of the number in the display will change.
That means pressing the +/- key after any number is completed, or after the = button is pressed, will cause whatever number is in the display to change to a negative number.
Or if the number is already negative, then it will change back to positive.
Rangertell gives instructions to use the +/- key for "all/fine gold", but not to use +/- for reefs and coarse gold.
However, the Rangertell instructions for using the +/- key is different when you are searching for silver.

"I don’t know which mode RT says that your calculator has to be in but mine has to be in the DEG mode".
The TI Solar calculator is in the degree mode by default, and it will not change unless the code to change it is entered.
Rangertell does not say this should be changed.
All of the searching I did was in the degree mode.

"I always degauss the antenna before entering a new code( just pull it all the way out an reset it)...I use one section plus ÂĽ in"
I never read anything in the Rangertell manual about degaussing the antenna. Actually, this antenna has no magnetic parts on it. It is made of chrome plated brass tubing with a plastic bead on the tip. I can't get any magnets to stick to it, so I have a feeling it is not able to collect any gauss. However, I will follow your procedure of pulling it all the way out, then reset it to one section plus 1/4", in case some gauss got caught in it that I don't know about.

"After taking the calculator off to do your test did you get it back in the proper position?"
The calculator position on the Deluxe Examinier cannot be changed. The holster for this calculator has snap-in detents which only permit it to attach in one position that was set at the factory.

"If it is in metrics it will only read the nugget for a few inches".
The TI Solar calculator is in feet by defalt, and will not change to metrics except for a conversion button that will automatically divide whatever number is in the display by 2.54. So all the searching I do is in feet.

"I always put in a depth of at least one foot after each code change".
Okay, I will make sure I set for a depth of at least one foot according to the Rangertell instruction manual on all tests.

"Does the unit swing when you step on the gold? Before each use I put a gold nugget on the floor or ground".
After "degaussing" the antenna, and setting up the key codes, I put a 14k gold wedding band on the ground and stepped on it.
Taking my foot off the gold ring and placing it back on the ring did not cause any movement of the Examiner.
The unit did not swing until I moved my hand to cause it to swing.

"The memory will not retain the settings when the battery is low".
The TI Solar calculator battery never goes low, because it has no battery. It has a solar cell for power, and a small electrolytic capacitor for backup power storage in case the solar cell becomes blinded for a short time. So I do not worry about the battery going low. But I watched the measured frequency that this calculator sends out change a lot as the brightness of the light at the display changes. I guess this doesn't matter as long as the number in the display does not change. Is that correct?

Best wishes,
J_P

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
~JP~
"I always degauss the antenna before entering a new code( just pull it all the way out an reset it)...I use one section plus ÂĽ in"
I never read anything in the Rangertell manual about degaussing the antenna. Actually, this antenna has no magnetic parts on it. It is made of chrome plated brass tubing with a plastic bead on the tip. I can't get any magnets to stick to it, so I have a feeling it is not able to collect any gauss. However, I will follow your procedure of pulling it all the way out, then reset it to one section plus 1/4", in case some gauss got caught in it that I don't know about.
Static electrity..When using Dowsing rods sometimes you have to discharge them or they do not work properly
"If it is in metrics it will only read the nugget for a few inches".
The TI Solar calculator is in feet by defalt, and will not change to metrics except for a conversion button that will automatically divide whatever number is in the display by 2.54. So all the searching I do is in feet
I would check that out..It is common to push a button by accident
"T
he memory will not retain the settings when the battery is low".
The TI Solar calculator battery never goes low, because it has no battery. It has a solar cell for power, and a small electrolytic capacitor for backup power storage in case the solar cell becomes blinded for a short time. So I do not worry about the battery going low. But I watched the measured frequency that this calculator sends out change a lot as the brightness of the light at the display changes. I guess this doesn't matter as long as the number in the display does not change. Is that correct?
I don’t know much about calculators but mine is solar but also has a battery...I took a trip to Utah and had the RT in a case for 3 days..It was dead when I tried to use it..I store mine where it is in the light all the time.

J__P

Jan 12, 2010
~JP~I always degauss the antenna before entering a new code( just pull it all the way out an reset it)...I use one section plus ÂĽ in...
Static electrity..When using Dowsing rods sometimes you have to discharge them or they do not work properly
Rangertell assured me the Examiner is not dowsing. However, I did your procedure for extending the antenna and restoring it to the one section plus 1/4 inch anyway. This did not change anything about the performance I could see from this unit. However, if you are interested in discharging any electric charge which might be on this antenna, you can simply touch it to the ground or a piece of metal that is partially buried in the ground. This method works well for discharging things especially if the ground is damp.

~JP~"If it is in metrics it will only read the nugget for a few inches".
"I would check that out..It is common to push a button by accident
It is not possible to make a metric conversion from the TI Solar calculator by accident. In order to get a metric conversion, two specific keys must be pressed in sequence before it will convert an English unit to a metric equivalent ie: 2nd key, followed by cm key. This never happens in my tests.

~JP~I don’t know much about calculators but mine is solar but also has a battery...I took a trip to Utah and had the RT in a case for 3 days..It was dead when I tried to use it..I store mine where it is in the light all the time.
The TI Solar calculator will turn off and lose the contents of the display within a few minutes after the light gets so dim that the voltage drops below 0.7 volts. This means the calculator shuts off a few minutes after you put it in the dark. Then when the calculator is placed back in the light and turned on, the display turns on blank until you enter some numbers. However, it still remains in the default English units, and degrees mode, unless you press keys to change the modes. Changing modes requires pressing two keys, ie: 2nd or 3rd key, followed by cm, or DRG or kg key. Thus, unless someone goes to some trouble to change out of the default modes, the TI Solar calculator is aways in the correct mode when you turn it on (according to Rangertell instructions). Also, there is no need for any memory when using the TI Solar calculator. It is simply turned on and it is already in the correct degrees and English units mode. Then key numbers are entered along with key operators and functions, then go searching after adjusting the antenna and the control knob. From the "DEG" icon showing on the display, I can see it is in the correct mode.

The only real problem I found is the problem of how none of the 50 people I saw use it can get it to locate anything.

Best wishes,
J_P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread