Drinking and detecting: good or bad? Opinions?

nuggetdog

Jan 29, 2014
Utah
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal detect.jpg

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever seen of of those "beer sleeves" that they use in golf bags? They hold six beers, and keep them plenty cold. I figured out how to attach one to my AT Pro. Problem is, by the time I'm through detecting, I'm using my AT Pro as a crutch to get home. It's kinda hard on the machine, so I don't recommend it.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I always do better fishing when I drink beer, or maybe it just seems. Does the same apply to detecting?

Okay, ya got a snootfull and start 'tecting. Beep beep beep...

You bend down and pick up a quarter and put it in your pocket. The quarter falls out through a hole in your pocket and hits the ground. A couple more sips, beep beep beep... ya pick up a quarter.

Into the pocket. It falls, you drink, walk in a circle, find another quarter... When you wake up the next morning you remember picking up about $50 worth of quarters and putting them in your pocket.

Shaking loose of the hangover a little you wonder about what a great night you must have had because you spend all the quarters and you're broke again.

Stumbling away you discover a quarter on the ground next to an empty bottle of gin...

Why I drink.gif

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wont drink detecting...too hot, want to stay focused, etc.. but when the hunt is over, a 6 pack, staring at my meager finds, that's the best time to enjoy.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beer is fine for fishing, but when detecting only hard liquor will do! I just love waking up after a late booze induced hunt, to realize my prize 14k ring is actually plated. ;)
Be safe in all you do...
Peace

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only time drinking and detecting are a bad combination is when you type something on this forum when you are half drunk. The next day, when sober, you realize what a stupid comment you made.
Yeah, I'm guilty of that!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped drinkin and found sum real good stuff but started again and aint found shite :dontknow:

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The more beers you drink,the more pull tabs you find...huh?

Don Griffith

May 2, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT, Vibra Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to be a party-pooper, but I'm at my best unimpaired... So- to each his own... Party on Dudes!

bountyhuntergirl86

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II & Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that smoking while detecting has a better outcome

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Here in Honduras most locally-made booze is lumped into one group called "aguardientes". The only commercially successful one is "Yuscarán", a vile clear firewater made from sugar cane in (where else) the little town of Yuscarán. By law they can only sell the version diluted down to 100-proof or less in the markets, but you can find the "good stuff" in some liquor stores. You could literally run an alcohol lamp or blowtorch with this stuff! It's the drink of choice for true BORRACHOS! View attachment 959026

I guess you would call that "Rum" by it being made from sugar cane?

Here in the East Tennessee many drinks go by names you may not hear about anywhere else.. so if you ask for "Apple Pie" it may come in a Mason jar!

So.. Rum is made from sugar cane... if liquor is made from sorghum cane, what would you call it?

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess you would call that "Rum" by it being made from sugar cane? Here in the East Tennessee many drinks go by names you may not hear about anywhere else.. so if you ask for "Apple Pie" it may come in a Mason jar! So.. Rum is made from sugar cane... if liquor is made from sorghum cane, what would you call it?

I don't know if it would be called anything different if made from sorghum. Just a different species of molasses. But I think the difference between Yuscarán and rum is that rum is normally aged in wooden casks, sometimes for many years, somewhat like good whiskey. I think "aguardiente" is a semi-polite word for any booze that could legitimately be called rot-gut! The difference between Yuscarán and 18-year-old Nicaraguan rum is probably about the same as the difference between an excellent aged whiskey and "corn squeezin's".

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I don't know if it would be called anything different if made from sorghum. Just a different species of molasses. But I think the difference between Yuscarán and rum is that rum is normally aged in wooden casks, sometimes for many years, somewhat like good whiskey. I think "aguardiente" is a semi-polite word for any booze that could legitimately be called rot-gut! The difference between Yuscarán and 18-year-old Nicaraguan rum is probably about the same as the difference between an excellent aged whiskey and "corn squeezin's".

Rum distinguishes itself from other spirits by the plant from which it is made. In the US, rum is defined as a spirit distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses or other sugar cane byproducts at less than 95% abv and bottled at at least 40% alcohol by volume.

But.. Sorghum isn't sugar cane.. neither is it molasses.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I worry enough about getting the cops called on me for just being strange enough to metal detecting and having to leave. Imagine being arrested for public intox. It sounds fun though.

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rum distinguishes itself from other spirits by the plant from which it is made. In the US, rum is defined as a spirit distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses or other sugar cane byproducts at less than 95% abv and bottled at at least 40% alcohol by volume. But.. Sorghum isn't sugar cane.. neither is it molasses.

Ok. No argument from me. I suppose "molasses" has different regional meanings, but you are correct in that it technically is not. Back to the original question, I have no idea if it would be called rum, but here it would most certainly be called "aguardiente", unless aged and bottled as a legitimate liquor.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Not for me! I'd be too sick to stand up....

Here in America we now smoke the medical herb. Not only will you be able to stand up, but you will also be able to laugh and eat Doritos while detecting your way to better health!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in America we now smoke the medical herb. Not only will you be able to stand up, but you will also be able to laugh and eat Doritos while detecting your way to better health!

That may also increase your "finds" time!8-):laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread