Hi....

Rebel

Jan 31, 2005
Yo! Rebel here: ;D Born and raised in Shenandoah, Va. (Page County)... graduated (twice) from James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va.; now live near Smith Mountian Lake in Bedford County between Lynchburg and Roanoke, Va. HA! Know another treasure hunter from Henry County named Beale... lol. We look for Beale Treasure; he looks for LOTS of stuff... MOSTLY, the Confederate Treasury in Danville, Va... LOTS of Civil War caches in Shenandoah Valley up and down Rt. 11 (Old Valley Turn-pike...); LOTS of C.W. weapons, etc. on battlefields (New Market, Cross Keys, etc...), BUT! you CAN NOT hunt on Fed./State Land without severe consequences; there is a buried treasure near Massenutten Resort, etc... Virginia has LOTS of places to look... Pirate treasures along the Coast... up the Bay... HH

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi-Ho Rebel.....Happy Hunting ;)

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I'm in Moyock, right on the NC/VA border just past Hickory/Great Bridge area. I'm willing to get with some of you to do a hunt. We should work something out.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well might as well be neighborly, Chesapeake here.....

Ron and Ann, ain`t it comical md`ing ain`t allowed "UNLESS" they make some money off ya for the permit then the magic doors just open right up. Recken it just goes to show ya "money is the grease that keeps the Gov wheels rollin" ...

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Hi neighbor.. I am in Culpeper also. Just down the road towards Brandy, across the street from the Our Father's House.

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gmu4me said:
Hi neighbor.. I am in Culpeper also. Just down the road towards Brandy, across the street from the Our Father's House.
is that the home for assisted living?

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool...Dale. down and across the road from you use to let us go in his fields...Havent been in awhile though.

Rebel

Jan 31, 2005
Yo! Rebel here: ;D Good to see the "postings" here... I got to remembering when I use to hike in the Blue Ridge Mountains, passing by old mountain "home places"... just sighing as i went on... NOW wish I was old/smart enough to talk to some of the old-timers about their "growing up" days... gone forever, now; ah well... MAYBE, something can come from Lost Counties, Cities, and Towns of Virginia... :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_counties_ cities_and_towns_of-Virginia ;) hh

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Unfortunately, I don't know many of the other people along Bel Pre. I would like to though... seems to be a great place to MD.

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All
Sterling

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi in sterling welcome ;)

R

rottyguy

Hello, just picked up my first MD today and would like to get out hunting. Near Burke Lake here, so give a shout if anyone needs/want a partner for a day.

Thanks!

matt

T

tsr3905

Hello Fellow Virginians!

I just got a Bounty Hunter Lone Star detector for Christmas have used it several times since found a whopping .46 cents but have had a blast with it. I am currently living near Rocky Mount, Va. Looking forward to visiting this site often.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
TheSleeper said:
Well might as well be neighborly, Chesapeake here.....

Ron and Ann, ain`t it comical md`ing ain`t allowed "UNLESS" they make some money off ya for the permit then the magic doors just open right up. Recken it just goes to show ya "money is the grease that keeps the Gov wheels rollin" ...

Howdy Sleeper...

Sorry, have not been on here in a few months....just read your post. Yeah, I find it strange, I call the City of Virginia Beach, and they said THERE IS NO LAW IN VIRGINIA NOR IN VIRGINIA BEACH (Federal or State) that says YOU CAN NOT metal detect....just pay respect to the grounds, property, etc. But you go to the CITY PARK and you can metal detect, but you can't dig...duh....then why am I going to metal detect?

I can understand Historical places.....but it would be fun nonetheless. You can't even detect at State Parks. Now, you can at the Holiday State Park, about a 4 hr drive from us....but it cost you 10 bucks to get a permit and if you find anything historical, you have to turn it over to the park officials....but if you metal detect by the water (lake), then you can keep it. What if that is a historical item?

Hubby and I mainly stick to the beaches though. We tried to get permission to metal detect a couple places near our home and was told NO....one being the location of the former TB Hospital and then became the POW German Camp area. They are building on that property and all that dirt was dug up.....it tears me up driving by there daily and seeing all that history just laying there!!!

Maybe we'll see you around the beach front this Spring/Summer/Fall :)

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know about Va Beach, but here's what we're up against in No. VA. -

The attached regulations are authorized by §15.2-5704(17) of the Code of Virginia. Violations of
any of these regulations are punishable as a class four misdemeanor pursuant to the Code of
Virginia §15.2-5705. Upon conviction, the penalty is a fine of up to $250 (§18.2-11). Failure to
abide by these regulations may also result in violators being prohibited from future use of park
property, facilities or services. The following index, which is not a part of the Park Authority
Regulations, is printed as an editorial convenience for the public.

The taking of historic or prehistoric artifacts from beneath or above the ground or disturbing the ground for the purpose of locating artifacts or using or possessing a metal or mineral detector on park property is illegal.

No person shall use a metal detector or similar device within a park without the express written
permission of the Park Authority.

The way I understand it, the Code of Virginia gives local governments the authority to make their own rules. Although, I believe they have a big problem with educating the public about the regs and even a bigger problem enforcing them (according to local cops).

The bottom line is: It is against the law for _me_ to detect anywhere in Fairfax county, except my own yard, without permission.

DCMatt

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
Hello everyone, I am Gary from Fluvanna County. Just started MDing in October using a White's XLT. Haven't found a whole lot. I really enjoy the Civil War history and have hunted in Orange County and along the Rapidan in Culpeper. Lately, just hitting parks, yards, etc. for coins, but really prefer the CW stuff. Always looking for people to dig with since I don't really know anyone else around here that does this as a hobby. (i hate golf!)

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to drop back in and welcome all the new members in Va.

Ron and Ann here is a post from FMDAC pertaining to hunting state parks:

Virginia http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/

§1.13 Metal Detectors

No person shall use a metal detector or similar device within a park without the express written permission of the Park Authority.

So it is legal with permission from the park authority.

Also definetly look forward to perhaps bumping into you and hubby on the beaches one day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread