Hi....

birds4us

Greenie
Aug 29, 2006
Well we got our new machine yesterday. Spent a couple of hours playing with it in the yard, and found a few things including a penny! Always nice to find some cash ;D. Did alot of internet research on how to use this machine. I can't wait to get it all figured out. Topsoil is a nice brown dirt......instead of the red stuff that is all over the place in most areas. Gotta get a smaller digging tool, this full size shovel is for the birds.

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Practice makes perfect......Good Luck to you.....Ask around on tnet someone here has a handy tool.....Just ask! :)

birds4us

Greenie
Aug 29, 2006
Here is what we found in our yard.

Attachments

• minelab.jpg
    minelab.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,390
OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice start...Looks like a mouthpiece from a canteen, a bucket handle, a back plate ornament for a dresser and not sure on the arrow looking pin....good stuff

birds4us

Greenie
Aug 29, 2006
Thanks for the compliments. The canteen top looking thing looks like it was cut off of something. The bucket handle looking thing is some copper wire. I didn't include the foil I found in the pic, didn't think I needed to show that off. Found another penny and a pop top tonight as well........woo hoo.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Wow! Am I late getting here! Dig, you're absolutely correct. I do live in Virginia (actually have an apartment not too far from Michelle). The official gold mining museum of Virginia is at Goldvein as Michelle placed it between Bealeton and Fredericksburg. Some nice exhibits and lots of historical information. BTW Michelle, there are several abandoned or closed gold mines in Culpeper County.
I'll check back at this page often. Glad to see a Virginia forum.

grizzly bare

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Originally from Giles County VA close to Blacksburg and VA Tech. Hello and welcome! I live in KY now, but I still go back to hunt a couple times a year.

Buckleboy

THing4CSA

Aug 20, 2006
Leesburg, VA
Detector(s) used
I use an XP-Deus and have a Whites DFX as a back-up/loaner detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All My TH'ing Friends
I just wanted to say hello and ask the question: Why be shy when the potential for finding some super finds may lie just feet away? I did start off being shy and afraid to ask permission, but after the first couple of 'Sure; go ahead.' I was hooked on trying. In the past thirteen years of TH'ing here in Virginia, I have been told no about six or seven times. What normally happens is I ask permission to search one yard and the neighbor comes out to ask what I am doing. Once they realize what I am doing/looking for they normally invite me to search their yard. I usually get invited back to search areas such as gardens and flower beds in the fall/winter when everything has died. I always tell the owners what I would like to do, after first introducing myself and my TH'ing buddies if they are with me. I take the time to show my finds at the end of the day. I also make sure to show the owner all the junk that I have recovered and explain that the broken glass and metal items that were found will be recycled. I do show all my finds and sometimes what you thing is just junk turns out to be a long lost item of sentimental value. I once found a 'junk' bracelet and when I showed it to the two sweethearts ladies that owned the property, I thought I had done something terrible as one of the ladies got all teary eyed. I asked Virginia if she was alright and then she explained that the bracelet had been a gift to her mother and that she had bought it at Niagara Falls, Canada in 1929. She was not even aware that it had been lost but was so happy when I handed it to her and said 'Here is your bracelet'. I also go a bit out of my way to pick up any trash that I find, bury leaves and small branches, but most importantly I fill my holes so that the grass might not die. Ruth and her sister Virginia have had me as well as two of my other TH'ing buddies go over their double size yard about a dozen times and every time we find Indian Head Cents, Wheats, Mercury and Roosevelt dimes, and the back off an old pocket watch, but this was 14K White Gold! I was invited to search four of the surrounding yards. The small town dates back to the early 1800's and had a Civil War encampment in it.

Well I guess the bottom line is get over your shyness and knock on the door. Believe me when I say you need only to explain what your hobby is all about and how you would like to do on their property. I have a 'search agreement' form but to date I have only had to use it twice. Most people don't care as long as you do a good job of taking care of the property.

Keep us posted and show us what you have found on all those properties that you asked for a got approval to search. The finds are endless and you will make new friends to boot.
Best of luck, have fun and do right in all you do. :-)
Dave Mork
THing4CSA
'Digger-Dave'
PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Guess I should have found this section sooner. Richmond, Va here. Just starting the hobby. I am willing to put in the time, but I have to admit, I am impatient and don't really understand what skills there are to hone. If it beeps, I will dig it. well, unless it is going all over the place and you know it's trash. Otherwise, you never know what it could be. At least not with my detector. It's a Quicksilver... something. Got it at the local sporting goods store. I know I will need better but hey, figured I better make sure I will stick with the hobby before I blow a bank roll on a detector right?

Hope to get to know you all better...

-Jeff

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
Hi Michelle, Chesapeake GreatBridge area here.
Mike

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Well, Hi Ya''ll, papa here,down next to Galax Va. Need a MD partner down my way ? Give me a yell. Some of those bases you went to,or want to go,are they on the Va. coast ?
Give me a PM,might be able to help,stationed there for several years.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Fokes, I call Richmond home. well it's realy Chester, I got myself a little land in Mckenney Va.
Thought there maybe something on "under" it.
All I found was an old RR track lol..it was worth it to find out if a target was there or not.

Good to see all the fokes from Virginia.

Roadquest

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, We md along the tracks here in culpeper alot...YOU'D BE SUPRISED ...we find some great stuff...just gotta get around all the old spikes and other iron....

minelab rick

Jul 1, 2006
Charlottesville, Va
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Hello Everyone!

Rick here from Earlysville Va. A little place about 18 miles northwest of Charlottesville. I've been MDing for about 5 years now and enjoy it more everyday. I hunt mostly in old church yards and the local parks and on our farm. My parents house dates back to the 1920s and is built on the same sight as the previous house which burned down in the 20s also. I take about 4 trips a year to the obx to hunt as well. Just wanted to pop in and say Hi.

OP
OP
Michelle

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi....Rick..Welcome!

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Newbie here. I'm in the Herndon/Reston area of No. Va. Years ago I had a Radio Shack el-cheapo detector. Had fun with it, but never found much. Recently, I found this site from a posting on an antique car forum. I'm HOOKED!

Now I gotta get a new detector and get out there before you guys find everything!

Also thinking about getting one for my retired father to see if he'll climb out of that recliner and get some exercise. He's in south-central PA, not far from Gettysburg. Houses around him date from the 1850's, so he shouldn't have to go far...

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread