Ingots of brass or bronze.... Any idea how old found a bunch of them along River bank

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg 25lbs each and looks real old..

Upvote 16

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Slycer,

Understand that I don't know nuffin! But, let's assume that there is more to the story than meets the eye. Like Frank said...if you can relate them to a certain event or period they'd be worth more than melt value.

None of us know how many of these you have but may I suggest that you perform "tests" on just one rather than degrading/destroying more than one?

We're all curious and speaking for myself only, I hope for You that they turn out to be 25# bars of awesomeness. Keep your cool. Move slowly and quietly! Good Luck to You Sir!

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the metal in these bars are as hard as you say, you can rule out lead and I would also think gold or silver, bronze and brass are a bit harder but not much harder but could be a possiblilty, lead is 1.5 on the Moh hardness scale, gold and silver 2.5, bronze and brass at 3, common steel comes in at around 4, do you think when drilling the bar it was as hard to drill as piece of common steel would be or easier?

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png i was only able to bring back 2 cause I was in my kayak and had miles to boat launch( an extra 50 lbs lol..) ... Found in southern New England, along large River that is extremely low due to drought.. There were def more and lots of deep signals..civil war or even revolutionary war possibilities for coin or cannon/ gun manufacture..that would be cool...who knows but fun to find Stuff and learn about it..remote area

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png and I was having great luck with walleye as well haha... My 2 favorite things metal detecting and fishing...fish until I find an interesting place to detect... Cheers

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Slycer; Thing here is it sounds like your being very aloof about your finds. It appears you have made no attempt to have them tested to find out exactly what metal(s) it could be made of. The picture looks like a pudding mix of different metals. Yet you come here leading us around asking is to ID them for you. We here can only do so much without your cooperation. we want to help but you are making it very difficult. So I will keep an eye on this Thread and hopefully you will wake up. Then We here will help you ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :coffee2:

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png i filed it down some more and it does appear to be 2 diff metals.. Copper colored and a very shiny brass( goldish) color... ( would look cool if I could ever shine whole thing)Doing acid test on the small drill hole

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png quickly turned a nice blueish color

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know silver turns red or pink but no clue what is blue/green maybe copper or brass

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not magnetic at all either even with my high powered magnet... Hope this info help..

Seek Ye First

Sep 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being that you found them on a river bank, they may possibly have been used as ballast on an old boat or ship. Just my 2-cents for consideration.:smileinbox:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should take one and put an angle grinder to it, with a wire wheel. clean all that corrosion off and see what you really have. Blue on an acid test should be copper based (copper, or brass, or bronze)

OP
OP
S

Slycer516

Aug 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks didn't know that... that was my original thought and it being non magnetic would point in that direction... Thanks For all the info everybody��

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Low karat dore bars.... Do not throw them away and immediately get all the others.... Cut me off a piece and I can get you a karat value. You could have a fortune in front of you, I have seen this before, shoot me a PM.

Jeremy

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low karat dore bars.... Do not throw them away and immediately get all the others.... Cut me off a piece and I can get you a karat value. You could have a fortune in front of you, I have seen this before, shoot me a PM.

Jeremy

Yep, you are rich dude. Go get them all FAST. A Dore bar looks just like that and some even have the copper color mixed with them just like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread