Question for dowsers

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIO AF/ TOM: you quoted --->

Of course, you don't know how it works, why it works, what causes it, etc.

you are right to say that, and I can not imagine anyone challenging that
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HMM A bit of over simplification and incorrect. The are literally millions of women happily driving an automobile or using household devices that have almost no knowledge or interest in why it works., just that it works than ------ has on the subject of dowsing
heheheheh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Real de Tayopa said:
HIO AF/ TOM: you quoted --->

Of course, you don't know how it works, why it works, what causes it, etc.

you are right to say that, and I can not imagine anyone challenging that
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HMM A bit of over simplification and incorrect. The are literally millions of women happily driving an automobile or using household devices that have almost no knowledge or interest in why it works., just that it works than ------ has on the subject of dowsing
heheheheh.

Don Jose de La Mancha
LOL! :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Don Jose, you say "incorrect"? The very illistration you use (how women drive cars without a clue as to how an engine works) only prooves the point further. Yes, they use a car, and "get results", even though they don't know "how" it works. That is what I said in the first place. So how was I "incorrect"? Seems you are agreeing with me bro :)

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
The Potholes and Picacho mining districts also lie in the southeastern part of Imperial County, about 50 miles east of El Centro and 20 miles north of Yuma. Small scale mining began in the Potholes District when California was under Spanish rule. The district was named Potholes because the gold was found in small depressions or pots. As many as 500 Mexicans and Indians could be seen working the dry washes. It is probable that the Spanish mined the Picacho District as early as 1780. Gold has also been mined in the Chocolate Mountains in Imperial County, notably northeast of Glamis.
The Chuckwalla district, in the Chuckwalla Mountains of Southeastern Riverside County , was organized in the 1880's and mining continued through the early 1900's. There is a considerable number of mines in this area.
Gold has been mined in the Clark Mountain Range in San Bernardino County since the early 1880's, and since at least 1882 in the Ivanpah District, both of which are just off of Interstate 15 and about 35 miles northeast of Baker. Many gold deposits have been discovered through the years both east and west of Death Valley National Monument in Inyo County.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI Tom : Just playing, but you said------->

you are right to say that, and "I can not imagine anyone challenging that"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I did challenge the statement. hehehehe the empahsis are mine.

Don Jose de La Mancha

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
There has been gold found in your area. I use to know some guy's who had a gold mine on Picacho Pass. Is that not but a few miles of your home ?...Art

Attachments

• Calif Gold mines.jpg
    Calif Gold mines.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 443

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Thanx Art. I am 6 to 7 hrs. north of the desert. I am an hour south of San Jose (2 hrs. south of San Francisco). See that bay south of the San Francisco bay? That's "Monterey Bay". That's where I'm at. No gold near me. With one exception: there is a little dot on your map in the coastal range south of me. That would be the "Los Burros mining district". They did get gold there, but never in quantities that made it worthwhile, profitable, etc... Or if they did, it was for very short time, but then went bust. The gold there is placer (dust in the rocks) so it has to be processed. No nuggets down there, aside from a fluke or something. So in general, no gold around me

But once again, don't guys that pan streams go to the most likely areas where gold will be found? I mean, you would acknowledge that gold, tends to get trapped in certain areas of the stream more than other areas. That's what I'm talking about when I say "likely areas". I would assume that this same "reading of the landscape" would apply to guys that hunt nuggets on dry land with detectors too, right? I mean, don't they go to certain colored soils, etc... where gold is more likely to be found? Yes, it can be ANYWHERE in the Sierras, as your map shows, but once you arrive at a given hunt site, then within those areas, a guy might know where one geographic formation is more likely then the one 50 yards away, for instance?

This is only for naturally occuring undisturbed landscapes. I realize that tailings piles (that a lot of nugget guys hunt), have been disturbed and there will be no rhyme or reason. A nugget can be anywhere in tailings piles.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Your right about that. If you go to those types of places you will increase your chances of locating some gold. That is the way it is done no matter what kind of equipment you are using. But …you seem to think that dowsers are for some reason not allowed to say …I found some gold…If you dig up a coin instead of a pull tab is it random chance or is because you were in the right place??...Art

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
sorry, I'm not understanding what you're asking. Can you expand a bit? As for the last part: tab vs coin for a MD'r, I guess I'd have to say: each target gave a beep over it. So the detector was doing what it was supposed to do.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
aarthrj3811 said:
Your right about that. If you go to those types of places you will increase your chances of locating some gold. That is the way it is done no matter what kind of equipment you are using. But …you seem to think that dowsers are for some reason not allowed to say …I found some gold…If you dig up a coin instead of a pull tab is it random chance or is because you were in the right place??...Art
It's not that you aren't allowed to say it, no one is suggesting that. It's that you are crediting dowsing rods with finding gold in a place where one would expect to find gold using any means.

I've read a number of your explanations of how you process your gold, Art, and this is what you need to credit for your gold finds, not dowsing.

I've been trying to get you to try something for months now, and you've blown me off each time, so I'll try again.

Go to your favorite gold field, and dowse a spot. Dig as you normally would, retrieve whatever amount of material you normally retrieve, and process it just like always. But then try this. Close your eyes, throw a tennis ball up as high as you can, and do the exact same thing wherever it ends up at. Compare the two amounts of gold you process from the two different locations.

Do you see where I'm going with this?

In the first instance you are using your dowsing normally.

In the second instance, you are working completely from random chance, but you are doing this in a known gold-producing location.

What do you think the results will be?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Hey AF…Since you claim to live in a gold producing area ( Clovis New Mexico ) I suggest that you try this experiment and tell us how you do. By the way…Have you every dug an empty hole ? Have you every found a pull tab and assumed that was what your beep was from ? Have you every tested the material that came from the hole to see if it contained gold, silver or iron ? These questions are also for Tom …Art

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Close your eyes, throw a tennis ball up as high as you can, and do the exact same thing wherever it ends up at."

Quite amazingly, AF's suggestion has gotten back to what this thread was originally about: comparing dowsed selections to random selections.

Why not try it, Art?

Why not do controlled field comparisons of dowsing vs non-dowsing?

What is there to lose?

- Carl

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
aarthrj3811 said:
Hey AF…Since you claim to live in a gold producing area ( Clovis New Mexico ) I suggest that you try this experiment and tell us how you do. By the way…Have you every dug an empty hole ? Have you every found a pull tab and assumed that was what your beep was from ? Have you every tested the material that came from the hole to see if it contained gold, silver or iron ? These questions are also for Tom …Art
How would me doing this experiment tell us anything, Art? Did you consider that?

I don't claim to dowse, so all I would be doing would be tossing a tennis ball around.

I don't claim to recover gold from dowsed locations, and I don't have a method of processing earth the way you do.

This particular suggestion is practically custom made for you, Art. What do you have to lose? I mean, you're already going to be out there.

I'm not saying you should make a special trip for this or anything, but whenever you're in such a place in the future, give it a shot.

I claim to live in Clovis, NM?? What the hell does that mean?? ??? Why would I claim to live somewhere I don't?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
How would me doing this experiment tell us anything, Art? Did you consider that?
Throw the ball and see if there is gold where it lands. You say there is gold where it lands I say that is B/S.

I don't claim to dowse, so all I would be doing would be tossing a tennis ball around.

Did your metal detector beep?

I don't claim to recover gold from dowsed locations, and I don't have a method of processing earth the way you do.

So you don’t know how to tell your if empty holes had anything in them.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
aarthrj3811 said:
Throw the ball and see if there is gold where it lands. You say there is gold where it lands I say that is B/S.

Did your metal detector beep?

So you don’t know how to tell your if empty holes had anything in them.
After all your bitc#ing about how wrong it is to compare metal detecting and dowsing, now you're doing it?

I'm going to disregard your last post as having forgotten to take your meds today.

Just tell me, what's wrong with trying my suggestion? What are you scared of discovering?

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
No guesses, so here are my results. I randomly tossed 7 tennis balls in my back yard, then used a metal detector to determine how far from each tennis ball a piece of metal was buried. Results were:

3.5" 5.5" 10" 13" 13.5" 21.5" 52.5"

The dowser I've been talking to had dowsed 7 spots in his yard, and 5 of them had buried metal between 4" and 14" from the spots. I thought it very bizarre that my tennis ball toss gave essentially identical results.

Obviously, his dowsing and my ball-tossing can't really be compared, because the locations are completely different. My yard might be saturated with trash, while his yard might have had only 5 buried metal objects. But it does illustrate that what appears at first to be an impressive dowsing result might not be so impressive after all. I've urged him to add random selections to his testing in order to establish a comparative baseline.

Can you tell us what you found? Art

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You said it all with this statement, Art. Actually, Carl said it, but you've repeated it.

Obviously, his dowsing and my ball-tossing can't really be compared, because the locations are completely different.

Can you see why it would be more informative for you to try it?

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aarthrj3811 said:
Can you tell us what you found? Art

I didn't dig up these specific targets. In cleaning out a testing area in my yard, 100% of the items dug was construction trash, from when I built my house 9yrs ago, so it's highly likely that these items are just trash.

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Obviously, his dowsing and my ball-tossing can't really be compared, because the locations are completely different.

Why would I want to try some stupid experiment with a tennis ball, a sandwich or a tennis shoe. If you guys think you can locate gold with them go for it. I have two rods that will find gold….Art

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
aarthrj3811 said:

Why would I want to try some stupid experiment with a tennis ball, a sandwich or a tennis shoe. If you guys think you can locate gold with them go for it. I have two rods that will find gold….Art
Because that stupid experiment could tell you a lot. Why does this scare you so much? Are you afraid the tennis ball might find just as much gold as your rods?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions