What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
More than once some adult comes over and asks "what are doing?". Well this is innocent enough but nothing short of mildly annoying, after all, who doesn't know what a metal tecter is?? I politely say "Well, I'm metal detecting"......he looks stupified and gasps..."Yer WHAT????"..... I says "I SAID I'M FRIK-KEN MET-AL DE-TECT-ING". Off they go.

What kind of metal can you find with that? Metal type metal...

The kids I'm easy on. I tell them that NO, the dirty quarter is NOT yours, its mine because I found it. If there is only one or two kids I will give them a few coins. Beware, mob scene could erupt. I enjoy the reactions of the kids and all the questions. They cant believe coins can be found like this. "Can I try???!!" No, this thing weights more than you. "Can I have the next one you get? Maybe I say. After I get sick of the rugrats pestering me, I tell them that if they have the "magic coin powers" like me, they can do the same thing with a stick three feet long. Off they run...

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I was detecting at a local beach and had some kids following me. I found a small ring that looked like a wedding band. I got the 'Mister, mister, can I have it. I asked why he wanted it so badly... and I couldn't make this up... so my mother could get married.

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple of kids come up to me and ask "hey mister, what are you finding?". I reply "hand grenades, want to help?". They just walked away....

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
A little kid asked me if I was using my paranormal activity meter to find ghosts. Cute, curious, and certainly not stupid.

Most stupid question "Whacha lookin' fir, scrap metal?"
My response: "Nail by nail and bottle cap by bottle cap, you'd have no idea how much you can make with one of these babies!"

Hopefully he went out and bough a radio-shack special and is now clearing the trash for me.

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kids are easy had one ask what i was looking for i told him rocks, kinda blewup in my face when he came back and gave me a handful of rocks.
Another guy walked by me and said when you find that gold ring everyone wont think your such a wacko... i looked at my wife and said, everyone thinks we're wacko?

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kids... I was detecting a park, working around the kids swings and such early one morning. A couple of ladies brought their kids out to play before it got too hot. The little boy came running up to me and started watching. I found a penny and handed it to him. He was excited. He went and showed it to the little girl on the swing. Next thing I know she is standing there. I find a dime and hand it to her. She's excited and runs off and shows mommy. I figure it's time I move on away from the tot lot since there are kids there and I'm leery of such situations. I start working out into the open field... After 30 minutes I see one of the ladies quickly approaching me, I think "OH CRAP... wonder what's up..." She asked me if I had happen to see her daughter bury her baby doll... She said she buried it so I could find it and give it to her. I told her I hadn't seen her bury it. We walked over to the sand box where the little girl said it was, but I couldn't see any sign of it. I detected around, thinking it may have some metal in it, but no luck. We kicked and swept the dirt looking but never did find it.
The little girl was upset & crying, she said she thought my "stick" could find things buried in the dirt.

dohbart

Aug 15, 2011
St. Charles, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I called the forest preserve of the county I live in so see if I could metal detect. A woman answered at the administration office. Here is that call...
Forest Preserve Admin (FPA): "Hello, XXXX County Forest Preserve."
Me: "Hi, I have a question regarding using a metal detector."
FPA: "I'm pretty sure it's not allowed - the metal detectors and the animals don't mix."
Me: "Don't mix? The word 'metal detector' is actually in the rules of things you can't use???"
FPA:" Yes, right here, you can see it on the website - no metal detectors."

So there you have it folks - MD'ing and Animals don't 'mix'. Oh, and I looked up all 32 pages of the rules and regs of the FP too - no mention of the word metal detectors anywhere. The closest thing is the 'removal of soil or plants', which of course I wouldn't be 'removing'. I'll just be 'adjusting temporarily' before I put the dirt back in the hole.

Dohbart

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
For nice friendly polite folk I tell them exactly what 'm doing.
I tell others"i'm looking for the remains of my cat toodles. I buried her in a metal lunchbox." When they ask why I say "I need the lunchbox for my first day of school tomorrow."

This confuses people and then 100 percent of the time thats the last thing I say to them before they leave.

gildeal

Sep 9, 2011
Daytona Beach florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay, I am a novice detectorist...... just started weeks ago, and have already heard some dumb stuff, like "wouldn't it be easier to get a job"
or, another one I heard was "this is a public beach sir" not sure what she was trying to tell me there? felt like saying," exactly, not your private beach miss!"
so far I have just ignored people, I'll go ahead an entertain the kids questions. or when someone asks a polite or honest question I'll answer.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live near a bay that can get polluted often, but kids and adults still swim in it. It's good for finding nice rings, etc.
When folks ask me what I'm lookin for, I tell them "wrinkle neck brown trout".
I sure get some funny looks back!

Had a lady freak out one day when my friend got too close to her husband with his detector.
She was afraid it was going to set off his pacemaker.

Another lady asked me if I was afraid that I would electrocute myself by being in the ocean with my detector.
Hah!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
coinshooter said:
I live near a bay that can get polluted often, but kids and adults still swim in it. It's good for finding nice rings, etc.
When folks ask me what I'm lookin for, I tell them "wrinkle neck brown trout".
I sure get some funny looks back!

Had a lady freak out one day when my friend got too close to her husband with his detector.
She was afraid it was going to set off his pacemaker.

Another lady asked me if I was afraid that I would electrocute myself by being in the ocean with my detector.
Hah!

Next time Tell Her No I like the Shocking Feeling, Just get a little Closer!!!! HH Chug

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was one of those "completely stunned" moments you just had to see, but I was detecting the beach last week and this nice older gentleman approached me with a fun loving smile and he asked, "Well. have you made your million yet?" You should have seen his face when I gave him one of those casual but serious looks and replied, "Actually, yes." The sudden blank expression that came over his face was priceless. :laughing7:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cherokee_Kidd said:
I was at a park in a small town and these 2 women walked by , One of them looked at me then at the other lady and she said That's sad. The other lady looked at me and said Well atleast he aint walking up to people asking for spare change.
wow that happened to me yesterday at a park next door to the va hosp and they seen my hat (iraq vet)

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
this guy asked me at the park "you looking for buried treasure man?" ... I replied "No, I am looking for the machete that this psycho has been going around the park killing people with..." .... he went back to his car and left....

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Viddy said:
this guy asked me at the park "you looking for buried treasure man?" ... I replied "No, I am looking for the machete that this psycho has been going around the park killing people with..." .... he went back to his car and left....

Love It, Might Have to use It Sometime!!!! :sign10: Chug

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this was by far my worst one "How does that thing find gold if its not magnetic?" I actually went on to explain it has nothing to do with magnetism instead of what i should have said, " You didn't know, solid gold is!"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread