What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
"Is that a vacuum cleaner?"

"No, it's a specially designed machine used to trace the migratory paths of the new South American blood-sucking earthworms".

fishbone3d

Apr 1, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Whites Prizm III, Bounty Hunter
flinthunter said:
J.Cache said:
Last summer I was out hunting the fairgrounds, and this relatively intelligent looking guy came up to me. He says "Hey, I know a guy that has a detector that will find diamonds...It'll find diamonds and other gemstones too, you should look into getting one.".

How the hell do I respond to that?!?!

Believe it or not, the old Whites Coinmasters from the 1970's had metal and mineral settings. I know several people that took them to the diamond mine in Arkansas and said that you can find diamonds with them.

Here is a Digital Target Max Plus From Kellyco. They claim it finds Diamonds.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/pro-series/pro-series.htm

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Once at Cabrillo Beach a cop drove up, stopped, and said, "Any luck?" He laughed when I said, "Well, I found 3 skulls but only one of them had 2 gold teeth!"

Or to a derelict at Hermosa Beach, "Got any spare change?" NO "How much is that thing you're using worth?" About half of what the pistol in my pocket is worth.

There were no more questions after that.

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
??? So, does that thing find gold? Why does it beep? What did you lose? ??? :icon_scratch: Red

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one can Be Irritating Arrrr Matey Looking For your treasure!!!!

Recently I had a Guy say this One time to Many He said it several times with in a few hours!!!

I finally responded to Him!!!

Quote " No I'm here looking for the Ring Your Wife lost Here the other Day when she was here with Her Boyfriend!!!"

He shut up after that!!!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dumbest thing I have ever been asked while detecting is:

"What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting"

LOL

Mike

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
These aren't really stupid, but they show a definite lack of preparation. I got to coin beach the day after the storm, grabbed my gear when a guy stops me and ask me hot to set the knobs on his new detector. I felt like saying Read The Manual, but being Mr. nice guy, I took a fast look. It had a circled number on each knob's scale so I said just set it at the circled numbers and bussed off. I saw him digging later so I guess it worked.

A Gal walks up to me and sayes, I have been looking for 20 minutes and it hasn't made a sound. I moved my scoop next to her coil and her eyes lite up. I said, it"s a quiet beach. Yes she had a ring on her left hand! Frank

candig

Oct 8, 2007
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was down in Key West when an Asian fellow approaches me with his significant other and asks what I am doing, I answer medal detecting. He then asks "is there metal here "?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the local public park just practicing on a new machine and had attracted a large group of kids. There were many pennies there and I amazed them by "guessing" the denomination of the pennies before I dug them up. I overheard one little boy talking to his mother about getting a metal detector for Christmas. She came over and introduced herself and told me her son was wanting a metal detector for Christmas. She said that she was afraid he would get tired of it and not play with it after a few weeks. She said she and the family was going to the lake over the weekend and wanted to know if she could borrow my detector over the weekend for the kids to play with at the lake to be sure they liked it. She said she wanted to be sure before she threw away forty or fifty dollars for something that was just a fad. When I told her sure thing, just leave a $1400.00 security deposit with me before they left. She nearly fainted when she found out how much the thing cost! I think the kids got clothes for Christmas last year! Monty

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
I was at the local public park just practicing on a new machine and had attracted a large group of kids. There were many pennies there and I amazed them by "guessing" the denomination of the pennies before I dug them up. I overheard one little boy talking to his mother about getting a metal detector for Christmas. She came over and introduced herself and told me her son was wanting a metal detector for Christmas. She said that she was afraid he would get tired of it and not play with it after a few weeks. She said she and the family was going to the lake over the weekend and wanted to know if she could borrow my detector over the weekend for the kids to play with at the lake to be sure they liked it. She said she wanted to be sure before she threw away forty or fifty dollars for something that was just a fad. When I told her sure thing, just leave a $1400.00 security deposit with me before they left. She nearly fainted when she found out how much the thing cost! I think the kids got clothes for Christmas last year! Monty

Your Bad Monty, Your Forgot the 50.00 Per hour Tutoring Fee Minimum 75 hours!!! Remember education costs Money!!! HH Chug

Bad Chug Bad Bad Chug!!!!

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
This past Sunday a guy saw me with my shovel and said " what are you doing lady? Planting flowers?" I was like "no I am metal detecting" he then said " you need a giegermister" Hummm.. I thought it was called a metal detector.. my bad!

10 Bears

Greenie
Jan 4, 2010
Idaho
The g'grandson that I home school allways accompanies me to the grocery store.
After shopping I stop by the city park to let him play on the slide and such.
Usually stay close but this day there was someone detecting, no one else around.

I approach the person, just as they bend down and dig up a pull tab, check it and pitch it.
"That's aluminum, worth something if you get enough of 'em."
The person's head turns and it's a 30ish woman.
Smiles and says, "My husband brings enough of them home. I'm just trying to see if this thing really works. He show me all kinds of stuff that he digs up in this park. He's at work and I'm playing with his expensive toy!"

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Relate Story:

I love to hunt arrowheads, and if I get into a conversation about arrowhead hunting it's common for the person to ask, "Do you use a metal detector to find them?"

Briar-patch

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2011
I found a double level shrine area on a small mountain in Japan that I planned to go back and detect. The day that I chose to go back with my detector just happened to be the day of the year when they had their annual festival there and there were a lot of people dressed in ceremonial attire drinking sake and eating. They were all on the upper level where the shrine still stood and I didn't want to get involved with the people there so, I searched the lower level where there used to be a shrine that had long been removed by a typhoon or burned down which often happens with these old shrines. While I was sweeping the ground an elderly Shinto priest came down the stone steps and hearing the beeps of my detector, asked what I was doing. I told him that I was purifying the ground of evil spirits for the festival. He said that the festival was already over... so, I said Oh... OK... then I'll set it in the post festival mode. He stared at me and then left.

mattaz

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2011
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7 Pro
One day at a park I was asked "are you poor? is that why you're looking for change?

I turned around and laughed; my detector costed more than the car you drove here with!

Squigmeister

Mar 29, 2011
Somewhere in Minnesota
Detector(s) used
ace 350, whites coinmaster 5000/D
well I have been detecting for a couple years now and have never really had any stupid questions, let alone many people aproach me. i guess my size is intimidating lol. just a couple of the have you found anything or how much do those run$ questions. but i have been aproached by bible people trying to spread the word of god on many occasions while on the beach :icon_scratch:. has this happened to many of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread