What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome thread! I have been laughing myself silly.

Since I do the majority of my detecting using scuba gear, I don't usually get stupid comments...instead I get stupid actions.

I was diving at a local lake beach that might be 10' at the deepest, it was November prior to ice on and I was in 5' of water working my way down the dock when rocks start dropping all around me, mind you it is 0800 on a Sunday and and there should be nobody around...finally a rock smacks my coil and I stand up very much p*&&^d off, I am looking at a well dressed gentleman and his wife and kids. The man says" I demand to know what you are doing" I said" Baking a cake, want a slice!
His wife busts out laughing and says boy honey you asked for that...he goes on to tell me that he is a local selectman and that I am breaking the law, I produce a small laminated card that I keep in my BC for such occasions, it is my state's RSA's concerning the use of public bodies of water. He stormed off in a huff and I went on to find many coins and rings that day.

Another time I was in my favorite place, a river doing some quiet back woods diving on a sunny afternoon in 4-5' of water when I saw a shadow pass overhead and I was struck in the base of my skull by a hard object, I saw stars and almost blacked out from the pain, I rolled over to see an oar coming down for a second hit, I dodged it and promptly reached up and grabbed the side of the canoe and pulled with all my strength, it flipped rightly so and dumped to older females into the river, since we were only in 4' of water we were all standing up looking at each other. The one with the oar says "I demand to know what you are doing" I said "looking for dead babies, wanna help" my dive partner that day cringed at the comment since he is a local cop and I'm a local fireman. They righted their canoe and left in a hurry. It still cracks me up to this day.

PS she said she hit me with the oar to get my attention...

Younghunt

May 14, 2011
Clarkesville ga/ Ringgold ga
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter fast tracker, now garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day at a nc beach a boy with a net came up to me and my cousin while i was detecting, hes like what r u looking for, i said coins. Then the boy replied im looking to catch rays. an when he walked away i said to my cousin hes never gonna find that. About and hour later i saw a crowed gathering an what do u no the boy caught a ray! About 10inches! Lol dont judge a kid by what he says!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:icon_thumleft: :laughing9: :headbang: These are all funny, I'm tempted to use some of them next time we get a stupid question!!!! :icon_thumright: Red

tomisha

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
There are a few stories I would love to tell, but it would give away some of my success secrets.
My favorite one is the time we were outside of Bagdad California and wandered south into the 29 palms weapon range.
A group of Marine reserves chased us down and one soldier asked if our detectors were weapons.
We really didn't joke with them, because it was 115 degrees out and they were not too happy dressing out in full gear to find out why we were there.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was detecting in an old park when I noticed this ole boy sitting in his car across the street. After about a half hour he gets out of the car and comes hobbling up to me dragging his oxygen bottle dolly. First words out of his mouth? "You tectin here?" I tried to act like I couldn't hear him but he followed me until I turned to work my way back. He motions for me to take my phones off Again, "You tectin here?". Doesn't wait for my response and proceeds to tell me this area is hunted out he's gridded it & searched it till it was dry. Not saying a word, I pulled out the pocketful of silver and a few wheats & the clad, rolled them around with my finger, and glanced at him. The look on his face made my day! I put the finds back in my pocket, put my phones on & started swinging. He hobbled back to his car & sped off. The rest of my hunt I had this picture of the ole boy bashing his "tector" to pieces. Sometimes no response is a response. ;D ;D ;D and a fun one it is! :D :D

SGTBilko

Jan 5, 2011
OHIO
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT / Whites V3I /Garrett 250 & 2500, AT Pro /Deus / Minelab CTX-3030, Deus XP (Coils Used- HF Elliptical, HF Round, X35)
I was at a local school detecting near my truck with my wife about a week ago, when two young kids around 14 years old that attended the school walked up and asked me what I was doing. I told them I was metal detecting for coins and etc...and they asked if I had found anything and I replied just about .30 cents. They stood and watched me for about 30 seconds as I proceeded to swing away when one of the boys I noticed reaching into his pocket pulling out some money and said to me that he had about $3.00 and I was welcome to it as he extended his hand out with the money. I immediately stopped and smiled and said "No, No" I do not need the money this is just a hobby and we go and look for old coins and possibly rings and such, the boy asked " Are you sure?" I said "Yes absolutely but I appreciate the thought".....I noticed my wifes face getting red and started laughing, I asked her do I really look that bad? She didn't say a word but just standing and laughing and how funny it was, so I figured I had my old work truck, and had been out all day hunting, after all I was in an old pair of jeans with knee pads on and hat, looking like a wild man. I could not believe they thought I looked destitute and in need of money that bad I was digging for it ....A few things to consider and something I learned from this;

1.) It was very thoughtful of these two young boys to offer me money and to be considerate for someone they did not know
2.) There are actually young people out there nowadays that are raised with manners
3.) Make sure I dress a little better to get dirty
4.) There is another way to make money without actually digging it out of the ground.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I was asked.
Did you find anything useful?
The guy was maybe 40 years old, walking a dog, in an upscale neighborhood.
I thought it was a strange question.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!

sabresfan said:
this is the exact spot where Captain Crunch has buried a chest of his crunchberries and I intend to find them before anyone else does!", she walked away saying I was a crazy a**ho*e and the little boy saying "mommy, I want some crunchberries"!! when I told my wife this story she laughed hysterically!!

I'd love to borrow that line, but I could never say it with a straight face.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes I just totally ignore the kids, like I can't hear them through the headphones even though the lady 2 blocks down can hear em loud n clear. This allows me to play a game in my head called how many times are they gonna yell whatcha findin? before they give up. :icon_thumleft: They say metal detecting is entertaining........... Sometimes it's real entertaining.

Remember, In the words of the head of Mosad. "No comment is a comment."

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chug and Red said:
triplehooked said:
That's when you get a serious look on your face say "Why yes, it is a Geiger counter! How long have you been in the area?" as you unplug the headphones, hit pinpoint and find something metal on them.... :icon_pale: And start backing away..... Oh man how I wish someone would ask me when I'm out..

To bad i cant get a Hazmat suit to play with the Stupid People!!!!!

They did not announce the Leak Sorry you May want to clear the Area!!!! LMAO :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

If you know someone who works for a hospital, ask them to get you a bunny suit from the OR. It would make a fair subsitute for a Hazmat suit. The only bad thing about them is they don't last long as they are basically made out of paper.

texwolf

Jul 31, 2009
Kerrville Texas
Detector(s) used
White's VX3. (White's Spectrum XLT) (FISHER 1280-X UNDERWATER) (Whites 6000 Di Detector Series 3 Frankenstein)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the park yesterday, had my new grey ghost's on, thought I heard a horn. as I turned around, there was a black man hanging out of a car yelling at me. I took off the headphones. he stated "Hey man do yous knows anyones that wants to buy a microwave". with out thinking I stated "What do i look like a pawn shop"?. he said you looks like you has money!, I stated If I had money I would not be in the park looking for change!! He stated you aint right!! and drove off!. for the next few minutes i laughed about it....TRU STORY!!!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SGTBilko said:
I was at a local school detecting near my truck with my wife about a week ago, when two young kids around 14 years old that attended the school walked up and asked me what I was doing. I told them I was metal detecting for coins and etc...and they asked if I had found anything and I replied just about .30 cents. They stood and watched me for about 30 seconds as I proceeded to swing away when one of the boys I noticed reaching into his pocket pulling out some money and said to me that he had about $3.00 and I was welcome to it as he extended his hand out with the money. I immediately stopped and smiled and said "No, No" I do not need the money this is just a hobby and we go and look for old coins and possibly rings and such, the boy asked " Are you sure?" I said "Yes absolutely but I appreciate the thought".....I noticed my wifes face getting red and started laughing, I asked her do I really look that bad? She didn't say a word but just standing and laughing and how funny it was, so I figured I had my old work truck, and had been out all day hunting, after all I was in an old pair of jeans with knee pads on and hat, looking like a wild man. I could not believe they thought I looked destitute and in need of money that bad I was digging for it ....A few things to consider and something I learned from this;

This is why I have to Shave Once In A while!!!!

1.) It was very thoughtful of these two young boys to offer me money and to be considerate for someone they did not know
2.) There are actually young people out there nowadays that are raised with manners
3.) Make sure I dress a little better to get dirty
4.) There is another way to make money without actually digging it out of the ground.

I was at a local park on a Sunday, only My second time there after an hour or so these nice people come up and ask me if I would like a Sack lunch!! I was speechless!!! then looked around and noticed they were every where giving all of the Homeless people Lunch!!!

I nicely Declined Then finished detecting!!!! Upon arriving home I went In Looked in the mirror then proceeded to Cut my Hair and Shaved!! Chug

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
TEXWOLF said:
I was in the park yesterday, had my new grey ghost's on, thought I heard a horn. as I turned around, there was a black man hanging out of a car yelling at me. I took off the headphones. he stated "Hey man do yous knows anyones that wants to buy a microwave". with out thinking I stated "What do i look like a pawn shop"?. he said you looks like you has money!, I stated If I had money I would not be in the park looking for change!! He stated you aint right!! and drove off!. for the next few minutes i laughed about it....TRU STORY!!!
I would have said,"Did you try the pawn shop yet, their always lookin for stuff like that"

schoser

Aug 15, 2009
Southeast Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was hunting a park here once and this person came walking by and asked me what that my machine was....i said its a metal detector. He said what does it find? :laughing1:

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey schoser did you reply "Stupid People"?

Truetone30

Greenie
Apr 22, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bootybay said:
Are you hired to clean the beaches.. I said No, I am hired to find unexploded bombs from the war.. she packed up and left.

Now that is FUNNY LOL

Truetone30

Greenie
Apr 22, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
A buddy and I were detecting the yard of a country home, where a stage stop had once stood. We were inside the picket fence line, at this country cross-roads, when a pickup truck pulled up along the shoulder of the road. He rolled down his window and motioned me to come over and talk to him. I pulled off my headphones, and we started this conversation over the fence-line:

"Can you guys come down to my place, down the road, and do that in my yard when you're done here?" [I'm thinking "wow, it's not very often total strangers stop to invite you to detect their yards!"].

So I tell him "Sure, we can do your yard too. But first, tell me how old your house is." The fellow looked at me sort of puzzled, and said "built in the 1940s I think". At that, I said "Well, we sort of prefer to do older spots". He looked at me sort of puzzled again, and said "But you'll still do it though?" I said "ok, if we have time....". Next he asks "How much do you charge?" To which I reply "Nothing. We enjoy this. It's our hobby." Now at this point, the guy looked really puzzled, and insisted, "No, .... really, I'd want to pay you."

This back and forth conversation and negotiation went on for a full minute, before it finally dawned on me ........ He thought we were weed-wacking! :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

LOLOLOLOL that is too funny lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread