What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!!!

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dwight S said:
Kids... I was detecting a park, working around the kids swings and such early one morning. A couple of ladies brought their kids out to play before it got too hot. The little boy came running up to me and started watching. I found a penny and handed it to him. He was excited. He went and showed it to the little girl on the swing. Next thing I know she is standing there. I find a dime and hand it to her. She's excited and runs off and shows mommy. I figure it's time I move on away from the tot lot since there are kids there and I'm leery of such situations. I start working out into the open field... After 30 minutes I see one of the ladies quickly approaching me, I think "OH CRAP... wonder what's up..." She asked me if I had happen to see her daughter bury her baby doll... She said she buried it so I could find it and give it to her. I told her I hadn't seen her bury it. We walked over to the sand box where the little girl said it was, but I couldn't see any sign of it. I detected around, thinking it may have some metal in it, but no luck. We kicked and swept the dirt looking but never did find it.
The little girl was upset & crying, she said she thought my "stick" could find things buried in the dirt.

Lets see Chug and Red Have Not Payed for a Charter membership In awhile!!!! Chug Loved this Post so Much That We are Going to Pay For A Charter membership On Friday!!!!! You Never Know When We are Going to Do It But It s Fun Red

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We almost forgot About the Charter Membership, Chug was Looking back through Posts and Found that We haven't Payed for this So He just Sent the Payment Red

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Heard a lot of 'em. Comments, questions, etc..

This morning Mayo and I are crossing a parking lot with our gear. Some of the trail cyclists are gathered around a car and stop talking as we near, the young lady in the group asks us,

"Did you make out?"

Mayo wanted to tell them we're just not that close as I lowered my head and muttered something about us not even holding hands...

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:

This morning Mayo and I are crossing a parking lot with our gear. Some of the trail cyclists are gathered around a car and stop talking as we near, the young lady in the group asks us,

"Did you make out?"

Mayo wanted to tell them we're just not that close as I lowered my head and muttered something about us not even holding hands...
:laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lowbatts said:

"Did you make out?"

OMG I Was Laughing so hard I had tears And Started Choking!!!!! Good thing I didn't have Gas At the Same time :sign10:

benmmaddog

May 17, 2011
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
took my little one to the park and bought the F2 with me there was this kid there and while i was MD'ing he ask the question
"Whatca ya doin'?"
Metal detecting
"Whatca ya doin'?"
metal detecting
"Whatca ya doin'?"
ME-TAL DE-TECT-ING
"Whatca ya doin'?"
then he would walk away for awhile and start the whole thing over again :BangHead:

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
rmptr said:
Well, I don't know about 'stupid', but among the most entertaining comments was, "That sure is a quiet weedeater!"

And then there was a downright nasty comment, by a walking lady, as I was detecting on a ball field; She muttered, loud enough so that I could hear her, "I hope it blows up in your face !" And I have not a clue what lead her to be so mean-spirited !

I have the most fun with kids at the parks. I've had as many as a dozen of them hounding me at one time ! They really enjoy the thrill of the hunt, I suppose. In sandparks, I usually let them dig for me if there's a bunch that seem really interested.
Ha! Ha! I make 'em agree to a 50/50 split, first, if a big ring or something valuable is found. Never happened.

It's all good.

I have had those little Buggers Run off with my Finds.
you must have good kids in your area.

Had one person say your not going to get rich like Bill Gates doing that.
Another from a detectorist was just rude...comes up to me and pulls a Morgan dollar out of his wallet
and procedes to to tell me I DONT THINK THAT TESORO THERE WOULD FIND THIS GET A WHITES!.
Wanted to tell him to go go suck a ****** And he did not even have a Detector with him.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually came this year at the beach. After seeing me dig up 4 quarters in a row one of three boys watching , asked me "Is this your job?" I laughed and smiled real wide and said, "I wish it was!?

Ed D.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this is agood one i showed the land lord the flying eagle i found,,,, i said check this i found with my md , he said wow did you find that with metal detector? duuuuhhhhh

cybercop106

Sep 26, 2005
Back in the MO Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes; Garrett GTAx 1000, Bounty Hunter Tracker 2D/707 and a pair of Tracker II models
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard a lot of things and seen a lot of wierd behavior while MDing....... mostly similar to what's been posted already. On the beach I always want to say "I'm trying to find the body of the last guy who bugged me. I forgot to check him for jewelry before I buried him."
Haven't yet but it's tempting.
I DID have one unusual encounter while detecting a park back in MO a few years ago. I hadn't retired from police work yet, so I was wearing my Sergeant's badge on a neck chain ID holder while swinging. It often kept people from bothering me while I detected.
A punk kid, probably late teens/early twenties, pulls up in his crap-mobile with a couple girls. They get out and start to enter the park. He sees me and walks over, stopping about 10 feet away. I have the detector in my right hand and my left hand near the concealed Sigma 40F I was carrying. He says: "What are you wearing THAT for?!" Pointing to my badge. I replied "Because I'm a cop." He says: "Well, it offends me to have to see it here!" I laughed and said: "Well that's too bad, cause we can use public parks just like you." So he continues "What are you doing?" I said "Trying to mind my own business." He won't let it go tho and says "Well why do you gotta wear that badge all out in the open like that." I said "Because I can." He starts muttering to the girls about how cops think they can do anything they want, so I said "Ya know, I don't know what your problem is, but it's just a symbol of my occupation. I wouldn't complain if you wanted to wear your little paper hat from Burger King out here........."
The girls started laughing and his face turned beet red. He stuttered a little, then told them to shut up and headed for his car. I thought he was going to leave them but he let 'em get in before he drove away, flipping me off as he went. I just waved.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
We were hunting a city school once, that has been tected since tectors were invented, a city emplyee janitor dude came out yelling "Hey whatcha doing to my lawn??" all huffy and big and bad (big stupid jerk like) Well, that is just some of the best most stupid comment, I dont care who you are. My buddy yelled back "Your lawn? do you own it?". Well the stupid dummy guy runs back into the school, we keep tectin no problemo for a couple hours. After all, it is not illegal to detect school lawns where I am from....yet. Another good old school, old, old, we hit it, it looked great, twenty acre area, a guy comes out, he looked like a big dummy government employee guy thinking he has governmentally able to enforce his false policy, just a big dummy guy. Big dummy guy. Big big stupid stupid guy with no brain or good upbringing. He says "There are too many of those god-damned things around here, leave now or I'll call the sheriff!!!", acting all belligerent and intoxicated by stupidness. We left. We went back at night thru the years, cleaned out all the goodies he left behind because his metal detector sucked. These are some of the most stupid comments I have ever heard from stupid people while detecting!!!! But not all.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Got it again on Saturday, was walking bacxk to the car to change batteries, (have to live up to the handle) and a young lady jogging stopped in front of me as I gave her a good morning greeting.

"Is that a geiger counter?"

"No, it's a metal detector."

"Why would you use that around here?"

"Well there's old homesites and I like looking for the old stuff that is laying about in those old yards."

"Well what kind of metal could you be looking for?"

"Just old chicken feed troughs and rolls of bailing wire, got a few in my pouch here."

"Oh my, that's very interesting!"

"Have a nice day ma'am".

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Re: What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!

Woman, whom I know, pulls up and says, "Do you really need change that bad...?" :help:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Re: What is the stupidest comment you have heard from some one while detecting!!

NewsMan said:
Woman, whom I know, pulls up and says, "Do you really need change that bad...?" :help:

Yep, a couple we know saw me hitting the totlot across the street from their house one day not long after I got laid off in 2001. He and his wife go to the class our kids shared and when we showed up, everyone was asking if we were alright and if we needed anything. I asked them what was happening and they told me the guy had said he saw me over there looking for pennies and I must have fallen on really hard times....

They had no idea what kind of stuff was coming out of the ground across the street from them, but I did take that year off to travel with the kid on her competitions all over the country, didn't collect unemployment or any other aid, except from the coil...

Nicest thing was, we had to almost fight over the tab when ever we went out.

caius_gauge

Aug 8, 2011
Madison, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting in a park, on a Saturday, there was a Wisconsin Badger game a bit away, so I thought there would be less "park traffic". I was detecting near an old wooden bridge, when a well-dressed asian man approached me. He seemed curious, and his english was not the greatest. I think most of what he said was all a "lost in translation" moment, but he said:

"What are you doing?!?" (very dramatic and demanding, pointing his finger at me)
I said "Looking for lost coins and jewelry" with a smile and a wave.
he said "WHY!?!?!?!" (like I told him I was killing baby seals or burying live kittens)
I didnt have an immediate answer, so I just said "uh, because its there>>>?)
He stood there, staring at me with a disapproving frown on his face. Then after about a minute he blurted out, "Well, OK, BYE!" and marched off in a huff, mumbling.

To this day, I wonder what he thought I was really doing?

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
An older women came up to me in the park and asked me "Are you looking for your little dog?" ???
I looked at her and said no, then she left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread