What's new

Foreign coin from half dollar roll- can someone id?

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1,930
Reaction score
811
Golden Thread
0
Location
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this interesting coin in one of my boxes today. It's non magnetic and same size as a half. Edge is reeded. Anyone know what it is, what it's made of and when it was struck? Thanks, MM2
 

Attachments

  • DSCN4089.webp
    DSCN4089.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 2,388
  • DSCN4090.webp
    DSCN4090.webp
    27 KB · Views: 1,982
Upvote 0
it is arabic, looks like BUT not quite a saudi 1/2 riyal

I sent the link of this post to two of my buddies 1 is moroccan 1 is lebanese, they say they can make out the word "Tunis" but it is "old arabic"

I looked up Tunisian coins but I don't see anything similiar, they also both agreed the Mosque appears to be arabic style.

we need to figure this one out!

It looks silver, does it ping?
 
MM2, I did some searching and i cannot seem to find any info on the coin, I bet it is silver though.

At first I was thinking Saudi Arabia, then was thinking Iran/Iraq, Afghanistan, no luck. I am not great at arabic coins,
I hope you find it is a valueable coin, and a silver one! :icon_sunny:
 
Yep, I can't seem to find it anywhere either. It does look old to me since most modern Arabic coins have at least some non-arabic on it. And looks to be silver to me too. I've been looking for any coins that might match, Indian, Tibetan, Tunisian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Afghani, Saudi, etc. Can't seem to find any info on it. Perhaps its a token like an Indian Temple Token? Might be completely off on that hunch though.
 
Bigheed said:
it is arabic, looks like BUT not quite a saudi 1/2 riyal

I sent the link of this post to two of my buddies 1 is moroccan 1 is lebanese, they say they can make out the word "Tunis" but it is "old arabic"

I looked up Tunisian coins but I don't see anything similiar, they also both agreed the Mosque appears to be arabic style.

we need to figure this one out!

It looks silver, does it ping?
It does seem to have the sound and weight of silver. Thanks for anything you can find out Bigheed. I tried to research it myself but haven't come up with anything yet. Thanks BB, it's the 1st i've ever seen. Never know what's going to come out of a roll.
 
Generic_Lad said:
Yep, I can't seem to find it anywhere either. It does look old to me since most modern Arabic coins have at least some non-arabic on it. And looks to be silver to me too. I've been looking for any coins that might match, Indian, Tibetan, Tunisian, Egyptian, Iraqi, Afghani, Saudi, etc. Can't seem to find any info on it. Perhaps its a token like an Indian Temple Token? Might be completely off on that hunch though.
Thanks for looking GL. I'm sure someone will figure it out. Thanks.
 
I can't anything on my goto sites either :BangHead: :icon_scratch: :help:
 
I notified someone who identifies coins and have sent a link of the page to him.
 
sagittarius98 said:
I notified someone who identifies coins and have sent a link of the page to him.
Thanks Sagittarius98.
 
Generic_Lad said:
Found it!

http://www.rbi.org.in/currency/museum/c-colo.html

HYDERABAD , India.

Not sure of denomination or anything but this should narrow it down.


From the size/text I'd say it would be a Rupee? Should be silver I'd imagine.
Thank you :icon_thumleft: Generic Lad, that's some good research. Any idea of what time period it was minted?
 
mountainman 2 said:
Generic_Lad said:
Found it!

http://www.rbi.org.in/currency/museum/c-colo.html

HYDERABAD , India.

Not sure of denomination or anything but this should narrow it down.


From the size/text I'd say it would be a Rupee? Should be silver I'd imagine.
Thank you :icon_thumleft: Generic Lad, that's some good research. Any idea of what time period it was minted?

Not really sure, the site says it started with 1903-1904 for machine struck coinage. And this site ( http://www.chiefacoins.com/Database/Countries/Hyderabad.htm ) says that in 1949 it became part of India. So I'd say most likely in that period? However I can't read the text on it so I can't really help you date it further.
 
That's it, thank you Sagittarius. Thanks everyone for working on the id, i appreciate all the effort. Good luck in your searches, MM2
 
the date looks to be 1992 or 1995 need a better shot of reverse
 
nsdq said:
the date looks to be 1992 or 1995 need a better shot of reverse

It was not minted in 1995. The "coinedformoney" link said that this coin is either 1916 or 1917.
 
sagittarius98 said:
nsdq said:
the date looks to be 1992 or 1995 need a better shot of reverse

It was not minted in 1995. The "coinedformoney" link said that this coin is either 1916 or 1917.






i see 92 as the last digits on the date i can not see the first two
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom