A strong start - season 6

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you look at the lower left in this image you can see those logs were exposed back in 1969.

oak-island-19-12-17-1.jpg

Here is a closeup by Dunfield. So they have caught up to a 50 year old dead-end.

longlogs.jpg

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not too bad of an episode last night. :headbang:

Love when they have to re explaining something just in case they have a new viewer who don't know squat about OI. You know like when they explain Searcher tunnel 6 and how it collapsed and the money pit treasure is now spread out over a HUGE debris field... and the whole back story on the 90' stone, AGAIN! Just to name a few ... LOL

So on the stone and the radar and 3d mapping. They only showed some letters carved in and were vague on the back story, is that because the contradict what was previously said? There was discussion in another thread on this.... In print from years ago were two different initials, not these. So they seem to look like L N and the 3d showed if you flipped it it looked like an A added to it. Hmmm, odd as to having an upside down letter? This rock looks too big to be the 90' stone, also looks too big to be working book leather on. Funny how there was never a pic taken on this rock.

Gary had a mega Bobby Dazzler Templar moment with that 1963 penny! I think he has it on his website. Opens up some new windows as to who did what don't ya think? :laughing7:

I was surprised they found the big rocks sitting on Apple or Pear island. I wasn't expecting that. You usually don't see rocks next to the shore. Def markers to the Templar goodies. Just like that guys said according to his Taurus star map. He is on Ancient Aliens in case anyone is like "Hey, he looks familiar!"

Interesting how they switched to the Free masons, not toughing the Templar's last night. I think they like to keep all doors and possibilities open.

Some neat digging at the cove. So will blue clay protect wood like they were saying? Hmmm. I liked the pop up graphics when they were showing how it could have been a coffer dam for the people making the box brains. Say what? How? No way!
Jack was monumental in the excitement factor last night. He reminded all of the french drains and the possibility of the stuff they found could be DEPOSITOR not just SEARCHER... this keeps getting better week, by week.
They leave us hanging on that lil knee wall and make us wonder what it could be. Hmmmm?

Last edited:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Damp clay soil (regardless of color) tends to be alkaline and have little oxygen. It's not a good environment for rot (bacteria or fungal) to do much work. So wood in clay tends to be stable. PROVIDED the clay soil is staying wet (like at the beach) or dry. If it goes wet to dry regularly then it's not as much protection from rot.

Immediately following their burial, organic materials may be recovered or at least disturbed by soil fauna, ranging from macrofauna including burrowing rodents to arthropods and their larvae. Subsequently, the main degradation process for organic material is biological oxidation by the soil ecosystem and this usually leads to its complete destruction where aerobic and moist soil conditions prevail, whereas soil conditions that are anaerobic are preserving, although not completely (Bjordal et al., 1999, Douterelo et al., 2010).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969715004854

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh yea, I forgot to touch base on the drilling in the MP area.

So they drill lil 4" seeker holes to see what they find, get all excited when the cores show wood and then up pops pictures of the fantasy money pit underground showing concrete covered vaults, multi tunnels collapsed and a huge debris field, etc...

But a season or so back, they dug these huge 4 ' - 6' holes that a guy could sit in and they found tons of wood but nothing else.
Why are they still drilling those core holes? When the come across wood it is debris from all the previous explorations back-filled into that whole area not the collapsed searcher 6 tunnel or collapsed Money Pit. Am I the only one who sees this?

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sincerely think the vertical wall planks is a "dead man" / soil anchor to hold the U shaped structure (a wharf) in place against erosion .. The practice is still used in retaining walls today

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure why they are still drilling small holes up there.. Either freeze the ground or something and it dig it all out or move on from that area... I thought they are going to go full bore into the swamp again this year...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me.. It is not so much the wood in Smith Cove that is interesting (It appears to be way to good of condition to be "ancient") but the possibility that they have discovered "ancient" drains. I agree with Marty's comment that it looks like the U shaped structure and the wall were built to try to stop water getting to the drains (I imagine that the structure was the base of something and the rest was washed away/removed).

I hope they find some discarded tools as this should better help date the building of the wooden structures. It is pretty easy to see once the assumption of flood tunnels from Smiths Cove had been made anyone trying to dig the pit would try to stop water getting to the drains.

Given that I no longer believe that treasure was ever buried hundreds of feet in the pit (I do think the old ladies (descendants) story of 3 small chests of treasure found at 10ft by the original guys may well be true) this means that an alternative explanation for the drains is needed.

They are soon going to run into the problem of having to dig back under their crane platform to follow the drains. I wonder if the intention is to eventually remove the coffer dam or just leave it there. I see the massive crane is still on the island so maybe the intention is to remove it.

I do not understand how they can still think there is a debris field of "treasure" when they have dug hundreds of holes in the last season (not to mention all the holes everyone else has also dug) and nothing resembling treasure was found. Surely something would have been found if there was any type of treasure their. NOTHING even vaguely resembling treasure has been found in any of the holes they have dug.... They cannot seriously believe they have missed it and just one or two more holes will find it...

Looking forward to the next episode to see what they can find out about the drains and if they find anything that helps explain exactly what the wood structures are for...

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But a season or so back, they dug these huge 4 ' - 6' holes that a guy could sit in and they found tons of wood but nothing else.
Why are they still drilling those core holes? When the come across wood it is debris from all the previous explorations back-filled into that whole area not the collapsed searcher 6 tunnel or collapsed Money Pit. Am I the only one who sees this?

I might be confused, but I thought they were doing the new small holes in unexplored territory - guided by the season opener sonic survey. The thinking is that no one knows the original location of the money pit, and tunnel 6 might be a pointer to it.

("Unexplored", that is by this group. A previous group may have drilled there before.)

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought they are going to go full bore into the swamp again this year...
There are still 21 more episodes so I am sure they will get to it...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
The "U" shaped structure could be from the original depositors, most likely searchers. However, if true, that means the searchers found something that needed to be blocked. Otherwise, why build it. There was no need for a wharf, the water isn't deep enough for any type of large vessel. You wouldn't want to repair boats there either. First photograph of the structure was 1950s?

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I might be confused, but I thought they were doing the new small holes in unexplored territory - guided by the season opener sonic survey. The thinking is that no one knows the original location of the money pit, and tunnel 6 might be a pointer to it.

("Unexplored", that is by this group. A previous group may have drilled there before.)

The did do a section over off to the side where Dan said he found a latrine... that was unexplored but the sonic holes in recent episodes are right in the money pit. You can see the huge 4' & 6' caissons capped off and locked with a padlock. Gotta keep that Templar treasure under lock n key!!!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "U" shaped structure could be from the original depositors, most likely searchers. However, if true, that means the searchers found something that needed to be blocked. Otherwise, why build it. There was no need for a wharf, the water isn't deep enough for any type of large vessel.

Why? For the same reason there is now a steel retaining wall. Searchers looking does not mean the same as "found".

Dunfield found the wood structure after he built a dike in 1965 - and filled it back in because it was another dead end.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that area is only good for a history lesson of seeing what is there and if they can figure out why it is there and who put it there. No one thinks there is treasure there. Not sure why Dunfield even bothered digging there since all he was after was the MP Treasure and in the end he was run out by water filling his deep hole...

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Look at this account 1849:

"Believing now that the flooding tunnels were connected to the sea, men scoured the island's shores. At an area known as Smith's Cove, they found a fascinating structure. The company built a temporary dam, called a cofferdam, to uncover a large overlay made of coconut husk, 145 feet wide and the length of space between low tide and high tide. Underneath the coconut husk was a layer of beach stones five feet deep. Beneath the beach stones were five finger-drains constructed of flat stones, converging into a single drain. The coconut husk worked as a barrier against sand to allow water into the drains."

If this was made up, it is the most imaginative and detailed description I've ever scene for it's time. Why not claim other materials to use as a filter? Why claim there was a layer of beach stones above the box drains(Which is an added filter)? It appears to be a designed structure for a specific purpose...if true.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Why? For the same reason there is now a steel retaining wall. Searchers looking does not mean the same as "found".

Dunfield found the wood structure after he built a dike in 1965 - and filled it back in because it was another dead end.

Since the drains were discovered in 1849, for your theory to be correct, the timbers cannot be carbon dated past 1800(judging those trees to be 50 years old when cut down and placed).

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Man this is wild; even Todd Hoffmans filthy gold did not get this much attention and he actually found gold.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That smith's cove area has been completely dug up several times (much deeper). Its been proven that no flood tunnels ever existed, period. Just another hoax attempt by folks to get more investment dollars not unlike the fake 90 foot stone. When the show made an error last year and let Dan Blankenship state that nothing was ever there, it should have ended then.....Once this current show fades from the airways, in another 20 years or so after everyone forgets about the hoax, the history channel will try the hoax again in order to secure advertisers.....

Lets see, a stone with ancient carvings that provided a clue to 2 million pounds of treasure (or something) being used as an anvil. Doesn't sound like the folks who were hammering on the stone believed in the hoax either...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since the drains were discovered in 1849, for your theory to be correct, the timbers cannot be carbon dated past 1800(judging those trees to be 50 years old when cut down and placed).

What theory? I said Dunfield uncovered the logs at the tide line, poked around, then dismissed them as non sequitur and covered them back up. If they were placed in 1849 that doesn't discount that they have no direct relationship to any treasure.

There has been centuries of activity on the Island that is NOT treasure related as well. French, British, probably loggers and fishermen, still are people living on the Island.

My theory is still my original proposed in 2014 - any sub-surface features are natural or the result of searchers since 1795. Kids found a glacial kettle and the rest is a futile search for imaginary treasure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread