North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: This was dug at the same time as Breezie's Sambo Cap Gun

EagleDown said:
Hmmm, You did a great piece of research there. BUT, even though I shouldn't do this at my age, I'm going to crawl out on a limb here. Please, don't shake the tree. :laughing9: :laughing9:

I tend to feel that the "modern game" shown here might have been a "revival variant" on the old game. My logical thinking keeps telling me that if an iron ball were being used, and if the fit is as close as it appears to be in the "Modern" one, it would be very difficult for a small child to pick it up. :dontknow:

Anyway, it's something to ponder. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Eagle

P.S. You're very welcome!!

Eagle, we're in basically the same tree! :laughing7: As I posted above, I think Creskol's is the older 1880's model, and the one I pictured is from the late 1940's to the 1950's. If you will notice the small print: It says, 'You can remove the ball from Sambo's mouth, but no one else can do it.' It's a trick type "puzzle." I'm assuming there was a magnet under the bottom, and when someone tried to lift the ball, they couldn't do it because of the magnet and tight quarters. Whenever you picked up the puzzle, you would secretly remove the magnet, thus being able to pick up the ball.

Back in the 50s there were lots of these 'trick type puzzles.' Things like exploding cigarette loads, handshake buzzers, snapping chewing gum packs, etc.

Okay, I'm climbing down from the tree now and headed to the dentist. Ya'll play 'til I get back. ;D Breezie

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool relic Creskol :icon_sunny: Both pieces found in the same hole?

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

IronSpike said:
Cool relic Creskol :icon_sunny: Both pieces found in the same hole?

Thanks Iron Spike! The ball was with it when I dug it.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Breezie said:
It's a trick type "puzzle." I'm assuming there was a magnet under the bottom, and when someone tried to lift the ball, they couldn't do it because of the magnet and tight quarters. Whenever you picked up the puzzle, you would secretly remove the magnet, thus being able to pick up the ball.
Back in the 50s there were lots of these 'trick type puzzles.' Things like exploding cigarette loads, handshake buzzers, snapping chewing gum packs, etc.
;D Breezie

Yeppers, I had a couple of "trick type puzzles" back in the late 40's and early 50's. :laughing7:
Of course, back in the 1800's, I would think it would have been more of a game to kill time. I don't recall hearing much about trick puzzles from that era. Besides, I don't think a magnet would work well with cast iron. (Or, is it pewter?) Well, in any case, I spent over 2 hours on the 'net looking for it with no luck. So, I'll back out now to lick my wounds. :help: :laughing7: :laughing7:

I'll keep track of this thread just in case someone does come up with an answer.

Eagle

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that's a very unique find. 8) Will make for quite a conversation piece! Breezie's ID seems spot on, but wouldn't throwing an iron ball seem a bit harsh? I'd be afraid of breaking it. :P :D Very cool find, C! :icon_pirat:

Congrats! Nana :)

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Creskol,
Yours, too, is a terrific find and deserves honors. What I can't understand is how the appraiser could put a replacement cost of $800 on it when he has never seen one before and could find no reference to it! That would make yours a "one of a kind" and priceless, in my mind.

I believe the "trick" to removing the ball was to blow across the top of it......the curved upper surface would create lift and remove the ball. I do imagine the iron ball would take a much heftier puff than the plastic pearl on the modern day replicas.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a Terrific piece as is Breezie's Sambo Gun. I terrific price for such a scarce piece, Congrats :occasion14:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

EDIT- I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING THIS. NONETHELESS HERE IT IS.

Nice find creskol. I can't put a value on it but I can identify it for you. A typical African American Stereotyped image from the early 1900's. It's called a "jolly --deleted--" puzzle. I am surprised that the people that appraised it couldn't figure it out. It took me about 2 minutes. I hope you didn't pay much for the "appraisal". Supposedly the ball fits in the mouth in such a way that it extremely difficult to remove, while it is sitting on a flat surface. I have found an advertisement from 1929 that depicts one.It's from a Johnson Smith and Company Catalogue.

jolly nigger.jpg

OP
OP
creskol

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other

diggummup said:
EDIT- I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE POSTING THIS. NONETHELESS HERE IT IS.

Nice find creskol. I can't put a value on it but I can identify it for you. A typical African American Stereotyped image from the early 1900's. It's called a "jolly --deleted--" puzzle. I am surprised that the people that appraised it couldn't figure it out. It took me about 2 minutes. I hope you didn't pay much for the "appraisal". Supposedly the ball fits in the mouth in such a way that it extremely difficult to remove, while it is sitting on a flat surface. I have found an advertisement from 1929 that depicts one.It's from a Johnson Smith and Company Catalogue.

sambo5.jpg

Thanks Dig .. Yes, as Breezie said, the concept is the same. Since all this discussion ensued, I, too, have seen many variations of the same, some bright metal as in the description given in your advertisement, some made out of different colored plastics, ones like Breezie posted, etc. but look at the details by comparison. Not saying it is, but perhaps .. just perhaps .. mine is (as Breezie said again), "the real deal" and if so, perhaps that is the reason for the higher appraisal. Old, new, ancient, or otherwise, I think it is a pretty cool and unique find, and it holds it's place in the display case.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I did a lot of searching for the solution to the puzzle to no avail. Does anyone know the trick?

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Roland58 said:
I did a lot of searching for the solution to the puzzle to no avail. Does anyone know the trick?

Here ya go:

Place head and ball flat on a table. Ask someone to remove the ball from the head. After they have tried fruitlessly for a while, you remove it easily. With the forefinger and the thumb, press down on the steel ball until a suction is formed by your fingers. Simply raise your fingers ----- and the ball easily comes out as a result of the suction. Do not try to lift.

Creskol, you'll have to try it and let us know if it works. Breezie

Attachments

• Trick.jpg
    Trick.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 405

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Awesome piece! congrats & thanks for showing!!

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks Breezie! With that solution, it would probably help to have some good hand lotion on, my dry aged hands probably wouldn't work!! :P

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

Very cool rare find :hello2:

Blaze

Theakiki

Dec 28, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Great treasure!

That's so wonderful that you recovered both pieces to the two part unit! :icon_thumleft:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

creskol very cool find when I first saw it I though the shot was about billiard-ball size or even bigger, can you post a pic of it next to a coin so we can get a good feel for the size?

paulb104

Feb 7, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a little late to this party, but here's a more modern version, and by late I mean early 1900's. Our description of it was this "Sambo Puzzle w/ Steel Ball Probably from the Adams Co. In a homemade box w/ instructions." We sold it for $30.
3738.jpg

We also have two of the originals, without the balls. One has writing underneath. I think it says J.B. Depabe, but who knows. They feel like cast iron, and they're not magnetic.

Here's the one with the writing
20170226_205843.jpg 20170226_205852.jpg

...and the other one.
20170226_205900.jpg 20170226_205908.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread