Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cent

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
I have to say that today will be a day that the twins and I will never forget. Not only did Kyle find the best coin of the year and quite possibly ever, but I found something that you just don't see every day. It was a low VDI number to begin with. pulled it out of the hole and thought....Cool .. some kind of pendant or something. I saw a defining symbol on it. It's an O. Looked like an O on the back of a large cent.From the word ONE. I scratched my head and did not see what should have been obvious. Kyle asked to hold it. I told him that I think it's a copper broken up. He smiled and said. No, look at it. It's the head of a Braided Hair Large cent that was somehow cut out exactly. We started laughing and high fiving in the field. What an unusual but cool find.I can just see in my head the fellow cutting up this coin to impress someone with it. I will always cherish it. I will post pics of it next to a whole one I found earlier in the season. I found a couple of pewter spoon parts, 2 dropped musket balls and a large colonial copper button fragment. I was swinging next to the road when a couple of guys road by on racing bicycles and I heard them conversing loudly back and forth. The one guy was obviously answering the others statement with this sentiment and I quote" No, these fields have been farmed for way over 50 years...They know what they're doing" end quote. I can imagine what the first guy said and it probably went something like this " Look at those idiots metal detecting in that miserable farm field...They wont find squat out there" Little did they know what Kyle already found and had in his pocket. Love this hobby.**Updated and Identified below**
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperheads_(politics)Copperheads" redirects here. For other uses, see Copperhead (disambiguation).
The Copperheads were a vocal group of Democrats in the Northern United States (see also Union (American Civil War)) who opposed the American Civil War, wanting an immediate peace settlement with the Confederates. Republicans started calling anti-war Democrats "Copperheads", likening them to the poisonous snake. The Peace Democrats accepted the label, but for them the copper "head" was the likeness of Liberty, which they cut from copper pennies and proudly wore as badges. [1]

They comprised the more extreme wing of the "Peace Democrats" were often informally called "Butternuts" (for the color of the Confederate uniforms). The most famous Copperhead was Ohio's Clement L. Vallandigham, a Congressman and leader of the Democratic Party. Republican prosecutors accused some leaders of treason in a series of trials in 1864.[2]

Copperheadism was a highly contentious grassroots movement, strongest in the area just north of the Ohio River, as well as some urban ethnic wards. Historians have argued that it represent a traditionalistic element alarmed at the rapid modernization of society sponsored by the Republican Party, and looked back to Jacksonian Democracy for inspiration. Weber (2006) argues that the Copperheads damaged the Union war effort by fighting the draft, encouraging desertion, and forming conspiracies, but other historians say the draft was in disrepute and the conspiracies were greatly exaggerated by the Republicans for partisan reasons. Historians agree that the Copperheads' goal of negotiating a peace and restoring the Union with slavery was naive and impractical, for the Confederates refused to consider giving up their independence. Copperheadism was a major issue in the 1864 presidential election; its strength waxed when Union armies were doing poorly, and waned when they won great victories. After the fall of Atlanta in September 1864 military success seemed assured, and Copperheadism collapsed.

Chris

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,653
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,603
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,825
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 1,598
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,592
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: *Must See* early American artist alters Braided Hair large cent.

That is very cool, but I want to see what Kyle found! :thumbsup:

U

umrgolf

That's an awesome find Chris :o I love seeing "different" stuff like that, and man will that display nicely :icon_thumleft:

(edit) after seeing what this relic actually was in reply 4, I had to go vote for this find :hello2: Amazing

U

umrgolf

What did Kyle find? ;D My guess is Draped Bust silver (dime) whole pistareen

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

That head was made for the "Copper Head" movement that was a group apposed to the Civil War! Seen a few before but it is a RARE FIND!! Banner!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperheads_(politics)

55th Massachusetts

Jun 5, 2009
Detector(s) used
Nautilus

This item were worn as a pin. You can see the pin part on the back of the head!

whitesPA

Jul 6, 2005

very cool find :headbang:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I can see why you didn't recognize it right away. It's just not normal.

Not to hijack or anything, but here is one I found and didn't realize till much later I had a cut coin. It's very small silver 1887 mexico 5 cent piece.

Attachments

• IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,579
OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

55th Massachusetts said:
That head was made for the "Copper Head" movement that was a group apposed to the Civil War! Seen a few before but it is a RARE FIND!! Banner!

I want to thank you for your excellent identification of this copper cut coin. It is appreciated.
Chris

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

55th Massachusetts said:

A short while back I seen a tv program on them and got me to reading a little also. That's a pretty interesting relic.

Here it is and you can watch the episode... is pretty good.

COPPERHEAD CANE
AIRED: Season 8, Episode 2
THE DETECTIVE: Wes Cowan
THE PLACE: Iowa and New Jersey
THE CASE:

A viewer from Lancaster, Missouri inherited a wooden cane topped with a coiled snake made of bronze or copper.

The snake’s mouth gapes open exposing a menacing pair of fangs. According to the family story, the copperhead cane belonged to our viewer’s great-great grandfather, Henry Clay Dean, a prominent figure Mark Twain mentioned in his book Life on the Mississippi.

Dean vehemently opposed the Civil War. He was a member of a powerful anti-Lincoln group who called themselves “Peace Democrats.”

Republicans, in an effort to defame them, nicknamed the group “Copperheads” after the snake known for striking without warning.

Why would a “Peace Democrat” embrace such a derogatory symbol?

History Detectives heads to Dean’s stomping grounds in Iowa to track the story behind the Copperhead Cane.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigations/802_copperheadcane.html

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

umrgolf2010 said:
What did Kyle find? ;D My guess is Draped Bust silver (dime)
Thanks golf. I won't steal Kyles thunder for he will post it very soon.
Chris

OP
OP
Colonial Copper Zeus

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

Iron Patch said:
55th Massachusetts said:

A short while back I seen a tv program on them and got me to reading a little also. That's a pretty interesting relic.

Here it is and you can watch the episode... was pretty interesting.

COPPERHEAD CANE
THE CASE:

A viewer from Lancaster, Missouri inherited a wooden cane topped with a coiled snake made of bronze or copper.

The snake’s mouth gapes open exposing a menacing pair of fangs. According to the family story, the copperhead cane belonged to our viewer’s great-great grandfather, Henry Clay Dean, a prominent figure Mark Twain mentioned in his book Life on the Mississippi.

Dean vehemently opposed the Civil War. He was a member of a powerful anti-Lincoln group who called themselves “Peace Democrats.”

Republicans, in an effort to defame them, nicknamed the group “Copperheads” after the snake known for striking without warning.

History Detectives heads to Dean’s stomping grounds in Iowa to track the story behind the Copperhead Cane.

Thanks I.P. I love that show but seem to have missed this episode

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Iron Patch said:
55th Massachusetts said:

Here it is and you can watch the episode... was pretty interesting.

COPPERHEAD CANE
THE CASE:

Thanks I.P. I love that show but seem to have missed this episode

I bet you'll watch it now! ;D

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Historically significant Copperheads movement altered Braided Hair large Cen

Wow, Zeus, that is awesome! This is definitely a sweet copper find. I have never seen anything like it.

We must rack and stack another site for next week.

Kirk

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great great piece of history you have turned up there ! The second I saw the reverse I could see it had been made into a brooch ! The History that we members of T-net continually dig out of the ground truly amazes me ! I do consider that a Banner find due to it's historical Importance ! I do not believe anyone else has ever posted one ! I am voting ! A Pre civil war copperhead brooch ! Wow it sounds great !! MaineRelic

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
What a site! What a find! Unc, that modified large cent is very special.

You just keep racking in the coppers this Fall. I can't let you catch up to me, though. ;D

A Mission next weekend is in store for us! We must!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,
That is such a super cool find. :o Very unusual piece. Congrats to you & the KKC team.
Will we be seeing some more videos soon? :wink:
-Doug-

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a banner no brainer! Sweet find and I would wager the find of the day between the three of you...

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool Chris,if it wasn't for this hobby I wouldn't have known anything like this even existed.Got my Vote for sure :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread