1/2 day cellar hole hunt with friends - lots of coins including my oldest yet!!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all.

I invited my long time friends, and cellar hole legends, Todd and Dave, to some sites. They picked me up from my house at 6am and we got to the parking area at 6:15. Todd forgot his shovel at home because I left mine at a previous site and I asked if I can borrow his "Lesche" and he thought I meant the little digger, not the big T handle, so he brought that for me, but then I found my shovel... It was a mess! ::)

Anyway we hike to the first site I research and it was a a big cellar hole next to a small starter home. The big cellar had barely any iron around it and then I moved away to a small depression right nearby and started getting tons of signals, then I get a surface almost overloading 82-83 hit and scrape a half inch of dirt off and low and behold an early silver applied buckle in the middle of the starter home depression. My stress for finding them a good site to hunt was over! Todd calls me over to listen to this faint signal kinda near the big cellar hole. "Sounds like a deep copper" I said. Todd and Dave were both trying out their new MX SPORTS and comparing signals. It took 30 minutes to fondle with this signal! It was a beautiful 70-85 signal about 7". In the meantime, I pick up an escutcheon plate, a couple colonial buttons, and then an 83 signal. I hear Todd say "It's silver" and I was like "are you kidding me???" Since he's been having extraordinary luck with colonial silver lately. It turned out to be a 1763 pillar style half reale in nice shape, not worn at all! I then show Dave my signal, he swings over it and says that it sounds good and shakes his head ;) it turned out to be a copper at 5", and letting it dry, it revealed itself to be a Woods Hibernia with a clear date of 1723!!! Beating my previous oldest by only a year. Dave "orbits" the former farm fields and get a really high signal next to a tree stump. Ends up being a beautiful complete Knee buckle. Now everyone was on board! I then get a few buttons, D buckle, pewter spoon handle, thimble, and a slick copper. Just as we were about to leave Todd moves a log and gets a high 86 signal at 2". He pulled out a nice Matron head cent, 1818. We headed to the second site just down the road and it was hammered with fresh dig holes. Got a button and thimble there. We hike up for about an hour to no avail, I thought it was a site but was just nothing.

We hike out of there to try the sites I got my button spill, farthing, and half cent for another go. Had to leave early but before I left, I witnessed Dave got a REAL KGIII Irish Hibernia (1782) and I got a counterfiet one (was a 37 on my MXT all pro- 1766). Dave got a draped bust 1798, and Todd got a patriotic eagle button after I left for the day. HH!!!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 14
OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a better pic... sorry. 12328507_953968714719405_1787605729_n.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it. That one has eluded me for 15 years and many large coppers!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got some variety there! You are having a heckuva month!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! What a haul. Looks like the new MXs are working out fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kk77

May 7, 2014
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's some awsome finds!! Love the buckle!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It's funny how copper coins from the same site can have such a variety of corrosion, ranging from complete toast to that beauty you found. Maybe it has to do with each particular coins alloy:icon_scratch:. But again, fantastic finds

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys are onto a nice early site there Isaac. Congrats on your oldest coin. Looks like breaking into the 1600s will be next for you .....

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another killer hunt man. Sounds like you guys had a great trip with fantastic hunting. :thumbsup:

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunt.... congrats

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you get around, I though you lived in Virginia? Great hunt, congrats on the Wood's Hibernia. I believe your buckle is circa 1820s-1830s based on the off-set cross bar. I have found several with that off set crossbar from sites dating to that period.

OP
OP
Isaac

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's funny how copper coins from the same site can have such a variety of corrosion, ranging from complete toast to that beauty you found. Maybe it has to do with each particular coins alloy:icon_scratch:. But again, fantastic finds

Thanks! I agree, I guess the soil is very variable! Luckily, most of my coins from these sites were treated very nicely from the soil.

That's some awsome finds!! Love the buckle!!

Thanks KK!!

Damn, that pick would make a great magazine cover Isaac! Congrats on another great day digging history.

Wow thanks so much man! I appreciate it.

Another killer hunt man. Sounds like you guys had a great trip with fantastic hunting. :thumbsup:

Thank you!!

What a hunt.... congrats

Thanks!!

Man you get around, I though you lived in Virginia? Great hunt, congrats on the Wood's Hibernia. I believe your buckle is circa 1820s-1830s based on the off-set cross bar. I have found several with that off set crossbar from sites dating to that period.

I go to CT to see family during my "breaks" and get in a bit of detecting between. ;) Thanks for the ID, I was intrigued by the date and I believe you're right... HH

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW. Packed full of relics and nice oldies!!! Very cool!!!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread