What's new

1 window broken, 6 boxes gone!

Chicago Ron

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
608
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
In the Lake in Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted in a while. Been very busy still manage to check my 10 boxes a week. Have been doing ok. Well this morning on the way to pick up my sons report card, I stop at the bank and pick up my Wednesday boxes. After loading them in the front seat and covering them with a blanket I drive to my sons school. Walk in at 12:05 come out at 12:35 side window broken and all six boxes are gone!
I know they were covered so noone walking buy would have seen them, also this is the middle of the afternoon in a fairly good neighborhood. I figure someone must have watched me load 6 boxes into the car and followed me the 12 blockes to the school.

So keep an eye out when your loading those boxes into the car you never know who's watching.

I called the insurance company they only cover 200.00 for loss of money. and the deductable for the window was 100 so I will get a check from the insurance for 100.00
I just hope they needed it more than I did. And I claim my 10 fold from the universe!

Chicago Ron
 
Upvote 0
That sucks, Bud.....

Tote a gun, keep your eyes open..........

Robin
 
Six boxes - must be a burley thief, or he took multiple trips. If they were all clad you are looking at 25lbs to a box for a total of 150 pounds.

Now how would a thief get rid of 150 lbs of halves? I doubt that they would open them to search them, so most likely they will try taking them to a bank a few miles away and turn them in for cash while still in the original wrappers.

I hope you can catch the s.o.b's.
 
Chicago Ron, the thief is going to do one of two things with your halves. They are either going to try to get cash for them at a bank or they are going to spend them. Go to the banks you normally crh at and spread the word. If someone tries to deposit large amounts of halves they should call police. Next, go to the convenience stores near the bank where you got your halves from and tell the cashiers that if anyone tries to buy cigarettes or lottery tickets with halves, they should card them because they have to be 18 to do so, and then they should call the police. Especially ask them to watch for the lottery ticket purchase with halves.
 
Again thanks for all the support and well wishes. I did call the insurance company I had a 100 dollar deductable so the window only cost me a hundred. My home owners policy only covers up to 200 dollars for cash lost from a vehicle. So all said and done with the insurance I got 100 back.
I also went to the bank to check on surveillance cameras, they have one in the bank and will check it to see if anyone was obviously watching me. no camera in the lot however. Also looked around for cameras on any close businesses and no luck there either.
Returned to the school and no cameras so I think I'm out of options.
I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Perhaps my 3,000 dollars will keep them drunk and happy when they would have been out looking for money and will keep an innocent person from getting hurt or killed!

Again Thanks, for the kind words!
There is enough hate in the world!
Let it go!!
Chicago Ron
 
You certainly have a great attitude about it CR.......kudos for that! Very admirable. I'm not so sure mine would be as positive if it happened to me.

I am glad you posted your story because I have learned from your unfortunate experience & I am sure others did as well. Naturally, I just wished it would have never happened.
 
ringding said:
Chicago Ron, the thief is going to do one of two things with your halves. They are either going to try to get cash for them at a bank or they are going to spend them. Go to the banks you normally crh at and spread the word. If someone tries to deposit large amounts of halves they should call police. Next, go to the convenience stores near the bank where you got your halves from and tell the cashiers that if anyone tries to buy cigarettes or lottery tickets with halves, they should card them because they have to be 18 to do so, and then they should call the police. Especially ask them to watch for the lottery ticket purchase with halves.

Just something else to consider...Asking the bank to call the police if someone deposits a large amount of halves is just as likely to end up catching someone who CRHs as well as the thief. I am not saying don't do it, but just be aware there may be unintended consequences where large half dollar deposits will be scrutinized. And if you continue to CRH in the area it may even end up causing the bank to call the police on you because the teller didn't know that you were the one that was robbed in the first place.
 
Maybe they will buy enough drugs with it to OD? Then the world will be better off without the worthless POS.

-SWUSC
 
At least it happened at the school and that they didn't follow you home.

This has go me thinking that in my future I might have to make an extra loop around the block just to make sure no one has followed me home.
 
I was giving this some more thought and it may be a good Idea to "bait" them.
I did this a couple years ago with jeep of mine that was stolen.
The dirty dogs took everything, even the gas in the car.
I decided to bait them, put the same car out, put some gas cans in the back. And waited with a Cam set up.

Well sure enough after a few days a couple guys came by. Saw the and checked it out. And my little motion detector Cam recorded the whole thing and notified me there was activity.
They quickly and with ease popped the locks on the jeep and They seemed to be delighted to find the gas cans in the back full. And immediately started dumping it into there car and rummaging though the jeep that was baited...Funny thing was. It was not gas in those cans in the back of that jeep.

See, Gas floats on water, so when you open it up the top gallon looks like gas, smells like gas, but whats under it, Is not gas.

The nice thing about water is. No matter how hard to try in an engine, it just dosnt burn!

well they cleaned out the jeep of the crap I put in there and even took the empty extra can. I called the cops.
It was not hard for the cops to find em. the car they were driving was only about a mile away, dead on the side of the road. They thought the cops were there to help em LOL They didnt know why there car would not start.

Long story short, it caught some crooks.

I bet if you repeated the process, 2 weeks later at the same bank and same time, same number of boxes the thief may think you for being that dumb, go to the same school. Leave your truck the same etc. But this time, your watching and have a cam.
see if someone walks up to the car, looks in, and breaks the window.
Its a thought to catch a thief.
 
That is a Real BUMMER sorry you got robbed.
BUT ...... DID YOU HAVE ANY PERSONAL INFO IN THE CAR ABOUT WHERE YOU LIVE?
If so you may want to be extra careful for a few weeks. Put everything of real value in a safe or move it to a friends. you can not be too safe. Gayle
 
Hey JD that was a great set up w/ the water as gas plus the cams ... I had some outboard gas along with the tank and hose that was stolen , so I had a spare tank (it was a POS so I dumped some valve grinding compound into that tank with some gas and no oil ....never did find out who stole it but I never lost anymore gas and they had to have ended up buying another outboard .....





rsc said:
That is a Real BUMMER sorry you got robbed.
BUT ...... DID YOU HAVE ANY PERSONAL INFO IN THE CAR ABOUT WHERE YOU LIVE?
If so you may want to be extra careful for a few weeks. Put everything of real value in a safe or move it to a friends. you can not be too safe. Gayle



Yeah that is a good idea Gayle they were pretty brazen the first time , you never know they might be stupid enough to try to steal some more stuff ....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom