What's new

1 window broken, 6 boxes gone!

Chicago Ron

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
608
Reaction score
172
Golden Thread
0
Location
In the Lake in Chicago
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-trac, Excaliber II, GPX-5000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't posted in a while. Been very busy still manage to check my 10 boxes a week. Have been doing ok. Well this morning on the way to pick up my sons report card, I stop at the bank and pick up my Wednesday boxes. After loading them in the front seat and covering them with a blanket I drive to my sons school. Walk in at 12:05 come out at 12:35 side window broken and all six boxes are gone!
I know they were covered so noone walking buy would have seen them, also this is the middle of the afternoon in a fairly good neighborhood. I figure someone must have watched me load 6 boxes into the car and followed me the 12 blockes to the school.

So keep an eye out when your loading those boxes into the car you never know who's watching.

I called the insurance company they only cover 200.00 for loss of money. and the deductable for the window was 100 so I will get a check from the insurance for 100.00
I just hope they needed it more than I did. And I claim my 10 fold from the universe!

Chicago Ron
 
Upvote 0
That really sucks! I wonder how many of them (crooks) were involved? It would take a bit of time and effort to take those from your car, especially if out in the open. I always keep coins locked in the trunk and my car has a decent alarm system as well. Does the school have any type of security cams?

You can't trust anybody these days, especially where money is concerned.
 
Did you report it to the police? Are there any traffic cameras or school cameras near by? That really stinks, hope your next box is a dream box. Best of luck.
 
Oh my CR....I am so sorry that happened. That is just crazy in broad daylight in a good neighborhood like that.

I agree....you were being watched. So did you report it to the police? Maybe they could get with all banks to look for large sums of halves being cashed in. I am sure that person is not a CRH'er.

I am so sorry CR. Keep us posted on what happens please.

Good luck.
 
That sux CR, sorry to hear about your coinage getting stolen... but you right about what comes around .. maybe some serious karma in your next boxes comes your way and sh8ts on those pricks that stole your coins .....
 
Thanks all, I did make a police report. I never even thought about someone watchin and following me. Just wanted to pass it along. I did get a nice box last week 12 walkers, 13 franklyns, 13 90% kens.
I've been stockpileing for a while about 1250 - 40% and 300 -90%. Just hangin around waitin for silver to hit 50 !!!!
 
I'll agree with ya for your 10 fold. Something for us all to consider- never know who's watching or how far they will go. I have thought of this before as I pick up in some unsavory areas and alot of times make multiple pickups. Hope it all works out for ya. HH Mark
 
Damn! I would check school and surrounding properties (including residences) for cameras. Cops are not that smart -- they may not ask about cameras. Believe me I know what that feels like because I've been a victim of a crime too. The bad guys are behind tinted glass or slouching in their car seats in the parking lot and watching for coin box buyers.
 
Sorry to hear you got ripped off. What a bummer. May your next 100 boxes be full with silver.

Good luck
Cat
 
Crappy thing to have happen but be thankful it was some cowardly smash and grab and not someone more bold, a stick up is the worst or invasion into your home. The important thing is that your safe and unharmed.

I hate thieves, I think Saudi Arabia has it right. Catch a thief, cut of the hands, that way they cant take again.

I wonder what would happen if that were implemented in this country, I but things would change fast. but NO its cruel and unusual punishment :/

If that were the case at least we would never have to see posts from that Patric earl guy, or people of the like. Hard to type with no fingers.

I hope the can find who did it. Sadly its unlikely though.

Keep in mind, the bank usually has cameras, Maybe there is a video of someone paying a little too much attention too you, if that person made a deposit or cashed a check. If someone was eying you, or maybe the tellers commented to someone about what you do, or someone asked what it was you were doing etc, or maybe they saw someone. Id track back and ask questions at the bank. If anyone was asking questions about you and they have video and or if someone was staring or followed you out. that may be enough for probable cause. At least its a lead, unfortunately police only know what they are told, and dont have much time to really investigate things, a smash and grab like that would be completed in as little as 30 seconds or less. If the police can get something more to work with on, the better the odds are of getting results, a call to the local paper may be a good Idea, if they have a heart and can run an story about it to be on the watch for someone spending halves. Maybe someone will do the same thing, Id call every bank you can and print out a info statement and give it to as many tellers as you can. Anything will up the odds of finding somoene,


if you want to see something horrifying and how fast and easy it is, check out this youtube vid and watch this youn Man doing his thing. I dont care how good someones car alarm is, most people ignore them anymore, and most thieves clear a car in less time than it takes for most people to turn there heads. These guys are done before the dispatcher at 911 can answer, and thats if you call when you see the break in. And long gone by the time the police show up 5 to 10 min later. I wish it was legal to shoot on site people like this, the world would be a better place real fast.
 
Very sorry to hear that happened to you. I worry about that all the time and your story reminds me to be more careful. All of us afterall probably follow the same predictable routine and get pretty used to having 1,000's in cash around. Part of me doesn't see it as money anymore.

May your next boxes be full of silvers!

Brian
 
Sorry to hear about that. I hate thieves.

Just one of the reasons why I wouldn't post anything asked in a thread like:
How many Half Dollar coins do you Search? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,151243.0.html

That is why I don't give out information on here about where and how much I hunt or how much I have.
 
JD, that video is scary!
To hit that many cars in one parking lot in a few minutes is scary!
 
Silver_Fox said:
Sorry to hear about that. I hate thieves.

Just one of the reasons why I wouldn't post anything asked in a thread like:
How many Half Dollar coins do you Search? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,151243.0.html

That is why I don't give out information on here about where and how much I hunt or how much I have.


:thumbsup:

Sorry for your luck CR

The thread that S_R mentioned above started by me was intended to develop a scope of how many coins are being searched weekly/monthly . and was met with little intrest. Understandable in light of your situation.

So I started to do a little searching on my own and discovered that there is more information than needs to be posted here.

I don't think a Tnet Lurker hit you and it's more likely that someone just saw you loading and followed you. Because if someone had been caseing you and knew your routine, they would get you before you exchanged paper for coin. But you never know.
It could be a Tnet Lurker that happens to live in your area. But I doubt it.

People. Please be careful out there.
Post interesting finds, but do we really need to know how much you searched?

Mojo
 
Quote: I just hope they needed it more than I did

What? That doesn't even matter. Someone may need a piece of bread more than you or a drink of water but NOT $3,000!! That's someone that needs a little more lead than you do. That's the scum of the earth, the jackals of society. I doubt you will but I'd like to see you get your stuff back.
 
Im with Jewelwr Dave on this one. Good luck with the investigation. Sorry to hear.
 
Sorry about the theft.

FYI

A few years back my wife's car was broken into. I called the auto insurance and about the same thing. Very little for property removed from the car. They fixed the car no problem. A friend told me to contact my Home Owners Insurance and report the theft of property. They paid! Most policies cover personal property even when it is not at your residence.

Stay safe.
 
Ron
Chicago Ron said:
Thanks all, I did make a police report. I never even thought about someone watching and following me. Just wanted to pass it along.

Make sure you follow this up. Or do your own investigating. Go back to the school lot and stand in the spot where it happend. Scan the area. Are there any homes in plain view go to them ask if they saw anything? or if they have security cameras.
Same thing at the bank Like JewlerDave said. The culprit may have been in the bank with you.

taropatch said:
Damn! I would check school and surrounding properties (including residences) for cameras. Cops are not that smart -- they may not ask about cameras. Believe me I know what that feels like because I've been a victim of a crime too. The bad guys are behind tinted glass or slouching in their car seats in the parking lot and watching for coin box buyers.

I once had a credit card stolen and I followed it up on my own, some of the charges were right in my area so I went to those places and gathered all the information I could. Reported my findings to the police.

They found the guy and he is now doing time.

3k is a whole lot of jack. The cops most likely wont investigate it as deeply as you would. They didn't lose anything!

Also I'd be a little Leary about going back to that bank and making more pickups like that. Theives like to return to the scene of the crime.
Imagine finding solid silver in boxes at a particular bank. Would you go back to get more? You bet you would. Now what would a thief who just grabbed 3k easy do! Something to consider.

Mojo
 
I hope every roll in those 6 boxes was short and full of devalued irish punts.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom