What's new

$10,000.00 in pennies

PJ in WI

Full Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2007
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
I just received an email from a friend who works at a bank and she asked me if I want over $10,000.00 in rolled pennies that have been there for ever. She does not know exactly but they have been there since she can remember and she has been there for 20 years. I said yes. She said they will buy them back when I am done going through them. I am assuming most if not all of them will be pre 82. Any suggestions. PJ
 
Upvote 0
If it was me and I had the cash I would buy them all then go buy a Ryedale. Imagine the fun that would be. Cull the copper, wheats and IH's and return the zincolns.
 
Holy crap! That is a shitload of cents! I hope you find lots of goodies! Keep us posted.
 
I didnt know banks hold that much coin in the vault, wtf? crazy... start searching
 
Crips, you will have to rent a truck just to transport it.
 
PJ in WI said:
I just received an email from a friend who works at a bank and she asked me if I want over $10,000.00 in rolled pennies that have been there for ever. She does not know exactly but they have been there since she can remember and she has been there for 20 years. I said yes. She said they will buy them back when I am done going through them. I am assuming most if not all of them will be pre 82. Any suggestions. PJ

Something stinks about this story. This bank must have a very big vault to keep $10.000.00 in cents. Then it has to be counted everyday for the past 20 years,go figure.
If this is a friend of yours, why didn't she tell you about the rolls a year ago,5 years ago?
I'd think twice about carrying 10k into the bank with what appears to be a tall tale .
Could be legit. Then again you could get robbed. Think about it.
HH
Rich
 
10K in pennies would look like this--

1millionpennies.webp

and 50-50 on the copper or zinc ratio would weigh around 6250 pounds if I done my math correctly..
 
Yikes, I'd get them a couple boxes at a time and see what you get. Probably would be worth it to get the rydale since you can resell at 1.2-1.5 cents each (since they can't be melted yet).
 
PJ in WI said:
I just received an email from a friend who works at a bank and she asked me if I want over $10,000.00 in rolled pennies that have been there for ever. She does not know exactly but they have been there since she can remember and she has been there for 20 years. I said yes. She said they will buy them back when I am done going through them. I am assuming most if not all of them will be pre 82. Any suggestions. PJ

I'd buy the whole thing, and then start sorting with the Ryedale. If they are at least 20 years old, then I bet 80% will be copper. That will leave you with very little to return, and the copper will be wonderful!

If you get $8,000.00 in copper, that is a $5,000 gain for what you can sell NOW on ebay at CURRENT ebay prices. Yes, that is worth doing! And if you get some wheats (maybe a LOT of wheats) you can get even more profit. This could be a $7,000 - $10,000 profit for you. Go for it, get them all, spend THREE MONTHS to go through them, and that would STILL be $2,500 - $3,000 per month in profit. WORTH the effort!!
 
jrf30 said:
PJ in WI said:
I just received an email from a friend who works at a bank and she asked me if I want over $10,000.00 in rolled pennies that have been there for ever. She does not know exactly but they have been there since she can remember and she has been there for 20 years. I said yes. She said they will buy them back when I am done going through them. I am assuming most if not all of them will be pre 82. Any suggestions. PJ

I'd buy the whole thing, and then start sorting with the Ryedale. If they are at least 20 years old, then I bet 80% will be copper. That will leave you with very little to return, and the copper will be wonderful!

If you get $8,000.00 in copper, that is a $5,000 gain for what you can sell NOW on ebay at CURRENT ebay prices. Yes, that is worth doing! And if you get some wheats (maybe a LOT of wheats) you can get even more profit. This could be a $7,000 - $10,000 profit for you. Go for it, get them all, spend THREE MONTHS to go through them, and that would STILL be $2,500 - $3,000 per month in profit. WORTH the effort!!

10-4 Buy it just for the wheats and Ih's you'll find.
 
Update on the penny horde. The reason she told me about the pennies is because I called her to ask if she knew of any banks in our area that had a coin counter that I could use instead of the tellers. She alway knew I was a coin collector but never knew I was a crh until a week ago. I am not worried about being robbed. To all that have responded with the helpful hints, Thank You. I plan on picking some of them (about 1500 lbs worth next week). I do not own the Ryedale yet but I will buy one shortly. PJ
 
PJ in WI said:
Update on the penny horde. The reason she told me about the pennies is because I called her to ask if she knew of any banks in our area that had a coin counter that I could use instead of the tellers. She alway knew I was a coin collector but never knew I was a crh until a week ago. I am not worried about being robbed. To all that have responded with the helpful hints, Thank You. I plan on picking some of them (about 1500 lbs worth next week). I do not own the Ryedale yet but I will buy one shortly. PJ

Good-

Keep us in the loop on copper %, wheats and IH's found.
If you get solid boxes of old (new pennies) copper, keep them intact and sell them seperately for a nice profit.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom