11main

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I just read an article saying Alibaba operates off 3.5% margin and is poised to crush amazon. Anyway one of their brands is 11Main. It is supposed to be the Alibaba answer to Ebay. They are not open yet but are taking applications. To sell you need an invite. I just submitted mine so I will see how it goes. But either way I can see a lot of competition in Ebay's future. Ebay might have to do some soul searching to get competitive. I think that is a win for everyone that buys and sells on ebay.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll refrain from giving my true feelings about those Chinese communist bastages. I don't think I would do business with them if it was free listings for life with no fees whatsoever. I hope you are right though from a competition standpoint but I don't think the suits at Ebay are too worried, yet. I guess time will tell. Isn't Alibaba where all the Chinese counterfeit goods that get peddled here come from? Nice place to do business with, not.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree competition would be a good thing. It is going to be an up hill battle to really take any business away from Ebay. Yahoo had free auctions and were starting to compete, but when they added a listing fee their listings dropped off 80% and Ebay was able to pay them off. Had Yahoo stuck with it and had a long term plan, things would be different.

Ebay's fees started climbing when they went public. Shareholders want to see growth. Buying Paypal was a stroke of genius, but after that the only real way to grow revenue for them was to increase fees.

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I'll refrain from giving my true feelings about those Chinese communist bastages. I don't think I would do business with them if it was free listings for life with no fees whatsoever. I hope you are right though from a competition standpoint but I don't think the suits at Ebay are too worried, yet. I guess time will tell. Isn't Alibaba where all the Chinese counterfeit goods that get peddled here come from? Nice place to do business with, not.

If you hate counterfeiters you must really hate the federal reserve. Too bad the government forces us to use their counterfeits. :tongue3:

OP
OP

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I agree competition would be a good thing. It is going to be an up hill battle to really take any business away from Ebay. Yahoo had free auctions and were starting to compete, but when they added a listing fee their listings dropped off 80% and Ebay was able to pay them off. Had Yahoo stuck with it and had a long term plan, things would be different.

Ebay's fees started climbing when they went public. Shareholders want to see growth. Buying Paypal was a stroke of genius, but after that the only real way to grow revenue for them was to increase fees.

When I saw their stock hit all time highs at $59 months back, honest to god my first thought was, DAMN I need to short them now! Of course my money was tied up and couldn't do it, now they are are $48. That was a missed opportunity, but I do believe their new penny pinching policies will run the stock into the ground. And alibaba might put that on the fast track.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought, when seeing alibaba was gonna go public, yeah I need to buy. Maybe, bring some money back over here! I ain't so keen on doing business with the Chinese, though I have. Haven't seen the 11main, yet, that I recall.

On Etsy, there are MANY Chinese "handcrafters" and/or supply sales. There's also a lot of folks from Thailand, India, Uk......
The western world is not the only place ppl buy from. A lot of money going in to china and/or india is coming through other sources, besides the west.
I have long watched alibaba and the international etsy sellers. Seems the American purchasing power of the ppl have fallen off, compared to some of the crazy money, I see spent overseas.

eta, thanks for the heads up cyberdan, I won't bother with the article.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread