14k with a "P"

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Not huge, only 1.3 grams, but this little thing tried to hide in a trashy park surrounding itself with junk and sending out a dead on foil signal.
As I always say, gold is the Ninja of all metal, a master of disguise.

Small but sweet...14k with that little p which means Plumb and always a treat to see.

I was using the F70 and the big DD coil but trying different settings using mono tone, sense on 85, thresh at -2, DE speed and disc at 4 and this thing showed up stable and clear and said dig me all the way as all solid signals do for me.
This 1 tone setting was first used at an extremely heavy iron site but now I am trying it in my normal park areas with less iron but a slew of normal trash.
This the absolute most stable setting I have used so far on the F70, dead quiet and stable on most signals even right next to some power wires.

More experimenting to do at other sites, but so far this mono tone set up seems promising.
More golden opportunities in the future for me I hope.

And yes, PMS is the manufactures mark.
I told my wife this one appears to be custom made for her.

Attachments

• gold ring 14kp.jpg
    gold ring 14kp.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
Upvote 6
Great find man! I wonder how many people arent aware of the 14KP markings

Nice find! Maybe the makers mark is for that special time of the month hahaha just kidding

Congrats on the gold!

I have a pms ring in storage somewhere. 8-)
I'm older now, so I'm beyond pms. :laughing7:

Great find man! I wonder how many people arent aware of the 14KP markings

I have found 31 pieces of gold in 4.5 years of hunting and only 2 have had that special "P".
Here is the first one I found.
10k and I was sure that P meant plated at first, but after posting on the forums and doing some research I was pleasantly surprised to discover what the P really indicates.

Attachments

• 10kp.jpg
    10kp.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 172
Really nice find!! It frustrates me to NO END that gold...as awesome as it is...rings up as TRASH on a metal detector!! And while I have dug plenty trash trying, I still have no gold to show for it, but I keep at it. So what DOES the "P" mean?....thx very much...ddf

Really nice find!! It frustrates me to NO END that gold...as awesome as it is...rings up as TRASH on a metal detector!! And while I have dug plenty trash trying, I still have no gold to show for it, but I keep at it. So what DOES the "P" mean?....thx very much...ddf

This started in the 70's I believe, many were mixing more and more alloys into gold when the price of gold started to rise so this was a way for honest jewelers to let their customers know what they were paying for they were getting.
Even today marked gold might not be exactly the karat weight that you see.
When you see that plumb mark that piece will be at minimum that true weight of the karat mark and might even be a bit more.
It kind of backfired a bit however, because just like me many thought that p meant plated instead.

Plumb Gold:
A term used in the past to validate that the amount of gold in an alloy is not rounded up but contains the precise amount of gold as claimed. An example would be that a piece of jewelry may be stamped 14kt but could actually be 13.85kt, whereas one stamped 14kp, meaning plumb, is truly 14 parts fine gold. A problem with the initial "kp" has occurred as some buyers mistakenly believe the mark stands for "gold plated".

Also keep digging that trash and it will come.
I dug a ton of trash in my time, figured out ways to cut out digging about 80-85% of that trash but that still leaves a lot that needs to be dug.
I can tell you when you do finally dig up something golden all of that trash digging instantly and magically becomes worth it and forgotten.
You will see.

Here is the gold I have dug so far.
Notice where they have shown up.
...all trash except for one dead on nickel ring and only that one.
All other nickel, and zinc targets were actually at trash areas.

Attachments

• all gold to 10 10 14.jpg
    all gold to 10 10 14.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Sweet gold !

Way to go Digger! You amaze me with all the rings you find. You are a gold magnet. I want to be like you when I grow up. Lol

Nice info there never heard of the meaning of the "p" added my incorrect guess was it meant plated ! Grats on that 14KP ! Have yet to ever get a good ring that read right at nickel here, who knows maybe someday it will show up ! My only decent gold rings have read in between Pull-Tab and Sta-Tab range or down near foil range.

Congrats on the great find a couple posts ago i found two rings on the same day 1 22k and a another 14kp with diamonds i also thought that the p might mean plated tested it myself and it was 14k.

Beautiful ring.
Congrats on plucking it and good job diggin' those trash signals.
I went out for an hour after work tonight and dug every trash signal I got. But, all I got was trash.

Great find.

Thank you for sharing your hunt and those pictures with us

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back