Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have permission for a property that is over 900 acres and has extensive river frontage. There were three 1650's land patents on this property and of the half dozen times I've been I've only been able to locate one of the early house sites. This past weekend I made the journey back to the property and decided to fully explore some of the woods that run along a small portion of the river front. The path I took into the woods towards the river was very quite and I decided to zig zag on the way out. As I was walking towards a little clearing that I had noticed I heard a couple of iron grunts then I got my first non-ferrous target which was a brass curtain ring which I knew was early and I could feel my heart rate going up. My next target only inches away was another curtain ring then a pewter nipple ring. I immediately knew I had stumbled upon a 17th century and my next target was a pewter spoon bowl then a spectacle buckle. Over the next hour I dug 3 more 17th century buckles and a half dozen pewter spoon pieces. The site is tiny and is loaded with nails but there isn't any other sign of habitation like pottery, glass or pipe stems. The next day I went back and dug two more 1600's buckles, two tiny leather ornaments and a few more pewter spoon pieces. It's a very strange site and my only guess is that it's some sort of utility building and the house site is way out in the river but that's just speculation.

Here's a video:

1.jpg 2.jpg

3.jpg 4.jpg

Upvote 21

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Joey :thumbsup: You assembled a nice collection of 17th century buckles in one day!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome buckles. Keep looking for that cob

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a feeling you must have had when you found the 1600's site! I think the oldest homesite where I live is early 1800's. Very cool finds you got there! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt, killer property :occasion14:

Good Luck on the 900 acre adventure! :notworthy:

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buckles! Wow. Need some help?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joey thanks for sharing your finds freakin awesome I would love a buckle like that in my display case that is great!!!!My town was founded in 1817 so no chance of that but you did so well Great job. I hope you find that banner find or Gold coin Thanks Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread