🥇 BANNER 1652 Massachusetts Pine Tree

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Back to the site in New England that has produced Tree coins in the past, dug this pine tree 10 inches down in a tangle of roots. Hoping that the experts can identify the variety. Let's hope the weather is not like last year so we can hunt all winter. P1010966.JPGP1010965.JPG

Upvote 102
What difference does it make about his gesture on what he plans to do with the coin?? As Ahab said, its about the find itself.

Some of you need to realize when you READ something that someone has TYPED on the computer, you can't always get an idea of there actual context and excitement when they are trying to relay a message...

I know Rhode personally and I can tell you he is absolutely stunned to have found this Schilling.

Congratulations on making Banner, I was getting worried and posted my experience a bit to soon.

Back to the site in New England that has produced Tree coins in the past, dug this pine tree 10 inches down in a tangle of roots. Hoping that the experts can identify the variety. Let's hope the weather is not like last year so we can hunt all winter.View attachment 1255347View attachment 1255348

Congratulations on the banner coin, Rhode Hog, I have enjoyed Metal Detecting with you this past year and all of your knowledge you have on the history of the New England territory and Pre-Federal coinage.

I'm "almost" sure that one of my Great Grandfather's had misplace that coin. Nice recovery!!, just drop it into the mail, and send it to me. Thanks.

LOL very funny I like that

Congrats on banner man. Well deserved and a BEAUTIFUL specimen.

Rhode, please don't hold off posting your finds because of some comments on the site. I can say that for me, seeing that kind of find keeps the fantasy alive, and you need that in this hobby. Can you please elaborate even just a little on what kind of location it was found in? And why you thought it held potential? I'm in southeast mass, so I know there's at least one tree coin in the soil near me. Just got to find it!

I apologize for being a dbag myself with my comment. I based my comment on my personal views on metal detecting (fun hobby). Just because I don't sell my coins doesn't mean I should have an opinion of others stance on the subject.

I have also never found a $$$$ find so I may have to cross that bridge myself one day.

Again, my apologies RH, amazing find.

I apologize for being a dbag myself with my comment. I based my comment on my personal views on metal detecting (fun hobby). Just because I don't sell my coins doesn't mean I should have an opinion of others stance on the subject.

I have also never found a $$$$ find so I may have to cross that bridge myself one day.

Again, my apologies RH, amazing find.
Lots of respect for this post. Thanks for saying that to the OP. I don't sell either but it's not up to me what anybody does with their finds. I try to only keep my judgements based on the find itself. But I too have said things I shouldn't have before

I'm totally "misunderstood" by a lot of people....(mostly my wife):laughing7: I pretty much sell every high dollar thing I find. It's what I got into this hobby for and I've been most fortunate to find some high value relics and coins. Problem is I cannot list all in my signature as they only allow me 500 letters.:BangHead: LOL HH The Hoggester PS "I want it ALL.....and I want it NOW!"

I'm totally "misunderstood" by a lot of people....(mostly my wife):laughing7: I pretty much sell every high dollar thing I find. It's what I got into this hobby for and I've been most fortunate to find some high value relics and coins. Problem is I cannot list all in my signature as they only allow me 500 letters.:BangHead: LOL HH The Hoggester PS "I want it ALL.....and I want it NOW!"

Misunderstood???
Thats a UNDERSTATEMENT!!!

I know you worked for that one,roots are a pain,Nice recovery! and Congratulations

Fantastic find. Thanks for sharing it I really enjoyed this thread so far. Finding more then one is phenomenal. hhgl-Joe

Congrats again, Rhode Hog, it looks good up there leading the banner parade. I personally know that you have been detecting for decades and have found more banner worthy coins than most of the people on this site. I also know how proud you were of this particular find as I was when I viewed it in person. The auction houses are full of rare coins that make their way via some hobbyists last will and testament. Do what you want and enjoy the fruits of your labor, and thank you for posting your find on this site for EVERYONE to enjoy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back